Art Pro MPA II tube preamp with axe-fx II

Cobrango

Power User
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've written something in this forum, I've been really busy with school, work and lately configuring my new home studio. Maybe some of your remember me, I'm a 2012 mark 1 old timer, hehe.

My question is about using the axe-fx II with external hardware/preamps, in my case the Art Pro MPA II.
Here is my scenario:

• I'm monitoring through headphones (still, yeah I know, saving up for JBL LSR 308P MK2)
  • The Art Pro MPA II is connected using XLR (L and R) from Output 2 fx send into the Art Pro
  • XLR (L and R) out from the Art Pro into input 2 fx return
  • In Axe-edit I've placed the fx loop block after all effects
  • I want the sound to come out trough my headphones (out 1)
  • The Art Pro seems to be going to Out 2, and Out 2 is clipping
  • is there any way I can route the Art Pro from Out 2 into Out 1 and Headphones?
  • What would be the most logical way to connect or route the Art Pro with the Axe-fx II?

I am also aware of max input/output levels for the axe-fx II / Art Pro

Art Pro:

• The Maximum input level is +19dBu balanced and +17dBu unbalanced.
  • Maximum output level is +27 balanced and +20 unbalanced.

Axe-fx II:

• IN 2 (FX RTN) – 1/4", L/R, balanced, 1 Megaohm, max. 20dBu
  • OUT 2 (FX SEND) – 1/4", L/R, unbalanced, Humbuster, 600 ohm, max. 20dBu

So yeah, it's kind of half risky to use the Art Pro MPA II with the axe-fx II because I can blow the input of the Art Pro (20dBu into 19/17 dBu), and I can also blow the input 2 on the axe-fx II (27/20 dBu into 19/17 dBu) etc.

But I really want to try this and see if it can add something, tube warmth etc. I also want to make this work so I'm able to use the axe-fx II as an interface for my DAW and being able to reamp through the Art Pro etc.

I hope to get this going with the help from you guys :)

I have an ART MP II. I use it to warm up vocal tracks. I would never use it with the Axe. I get my best guitar sounds going direct from the Axe to the board. I do like to record stereo so I have options for mixing. I have tried adding other gear (BBE, Digitech Quad 4, etc) but I find that they added nothing. Keep it simple.

Sounds like something is routed wrong. If you're using that send/return it should be getting to Output 1 if you're routing correctly.

However, if Output 2 is clipping it sounds like the signal you are sending TO the ART is too hot.

I agree with The Geeze... Not sure I would ever have a need for this.

I have an ART MP II. I use it to warm up vocal tracks. I would never use it with the Axe. I get my best guitar sounds going direct from the Axe to the board. I do like to record stereo so I have options for mixing. I have tried adding other gear (BBE, Digitech Quad 4, etc) but I find that they added nothing. Keep it simple.

If you use it to warm up vocal tracks you know how good it sounds, I just want to extend my use and workflow with it. If it can work somehow I would wait to advice against it until I get to try it, then I can see if I like it or not right?

I'd love to get more input from people who use external preamps with the fx loop and just things in general which adds character and has something unique that stands out from the axe-fx.

This is my take on keeping it simple, by having the Art Pro in the fx loop it turns into a block in axe-edit just like all the other effects, so I can choose where to place it etc.

this makes it way more usable and I won't have to connect/disconnect cables etc. I also play 8-string guitars tuned to drop-e so I don't need two guitars where one is tuned way low and the other standard,
I'm all about keeping things simple, I just find my own solutions and have many parameters to why in the end, it's simple :sweatsmile:

listen to the wise @Geezerjohn .....

I don't see how "don't do it" is encouraging, if it's not a good idea then lay it out, show me with specs etc.

Make it easier for me to make a choice, but don't choose for me - One of the reasons to why I have long hair, is because people have asked me when I'm going to cut my hair all my life, lol.

Sounds like something is routed wrong. If you're using that send/return it should be getting to Output 1 if you're routing correctly.

However, if Output 2 is clipping it sounds like the signal you are sending TO the ART is too hot.

I agree with The Geeze... Not sure I would ever have a need for this.

Thank you, you have a point about the clipping, I'll look into that. Maybe I have to just listen to it through my DAW. I don't remember how many outs there are using usb, but for now I think 1+2 is raw (DI), 3+4 is the effected guitar signal, then maybe I can have 5+6 just like the effected guitar signal only with the Art Pro engaged in the end too, hmm, I think the axe-fx has 8 ins and 8 outs using usb? anyhow..

Again thanks for all the replies everyone, keep em' coming - I know my answers may seem cold and ungrateful but they're not - I just cut to the chase and think you can handle it, if you're helping I'll explain why and if you're not I'll explain why too.
Hope you're all good, no hard feelings right :innocent:

Why would this be such a big deal if it's normal to use tube amps etc in the fx loop using the 4 cable method etc.? I'm trying to do the same thing, only connecting the Art Pro MPA II instead of a tube amplifier?

I'm just not used to the fx loop yet, I'll try to look it up in the manual, I was just keen on getting some tips from people who use other units in their fx loops other than tube amps etc.

One would think that would be a lot of people, if say someone has a nice hardware compressor but use the axe-fx II as the main interface - then hooking up the sweet hardware compressor in the fx loop seems like a no brainer?

So basically I'm using my axe-fx II for my interface, and I need to find out how to use the Art Pro MPA II in the fx loop, because the Art Pro will act as a preamp for my external microphones. Please help me someone, this is really bottlenecking everything I'm doing in my studio. This method is how I planned to use my microphones such as the Shure sm58, NT1, etc. I need to get this working because this is the only way I can record my microphones, using the axe-fx II and the Art Pro.

Any admins who can just explain it really simple? this goes for everyone who use microphones with their axe-fx II and external preamp for the mics, only I'm connecting it using XLR's and the fx loop instead of using input 1 or 2.

So to summarize and clear up what my goal is, I basically have the axe-fx II and use it as my main interface. I also recently bought the Art Pro MPA II. This is how I plan on using these units:

• I'm using headphones still at the moment so I'm trying to find a way to monitor Out 2 in Headphones (Out 1) but it looks like it's not possible
  • The reason I make this complicated rig is so that I can record 1+2 as the effected guitar signal, 3+4 as the raw guitar output, but also:
  • "5+6" as the effected guitar coming out from the Art Pro MPA II, but it looks like I might need a second audio interface and connect it to Out 2 L + R?
  • I hope to be able to record 1+2, 3+4 (raw) and "5+6" at the same time using this setup.
  • The "5+6" (Out 2 L+ R) into the second audio interface may be the guitar through the Art Pro MPA II, but Also microphones such as the Shure sm58 or NT1 when I want to record my amps etc.
  • The reason I want to use the FX Loop for the Art Pro MPA II is for controlling levels but also placement in the effect chain in the axe-fx II using axe-edit.
  • Would it be a viable option to connect Out 2 L+ R into my laptop using mic or line in ? going into a stereo minijack? Not sure about the quality of the interface, but it's an interface.. for now at least.
  • Of course I bought the Art Pro MPA II and Art Pro Tube MP Project series without the USB option, lol.

Relax guys, to stop the confusion and thousands of replies in this thread I just bought the Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 mk ii, it will sort everything out so I can record everything I have at once :cool: lol

Back
Top Bottom