Arrived!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
s0c9 said:
John Watkins said:
With all respect Cliff, if you had just said this any time in the last six months, there wouldn't be any complaints from anyone now.
I've read pretty much most threads on this forum since (and lots before) I purchased my Ultra. I was totally unaware of the "process" of making the MFC available until Cliff clarified some pages back. I have no issues with how it its being managed and the explanation makes perfect sense. However, I have to admit my assumption was - as was many others - that the waiting list would be processed first. Period. Once those on the list had their product, it would then be made available to the public and whatever price that would be. Why else would I be on the list ??? If I wanted one that badly, knew the "rules", and was willing to pay the "full price" I'd have been sitting on the "buy now" link hitting the Enter key 7x24 until I got one. Instead, I've been waiting for an email telling me it was "my turn".

Given Cliffs' explanation, that all seems kind of moot now... and I completely understand how some folks feel, and understand some of their reaction. You live and learn I guess. Like quoted above, would have been nice to know!

+1, well put and my sentiments exactly

Thanks for the update Cliff. I'm not in dire need of the MFC, but I certainly will buy it when I get my email. Fortunately for me, the extra time helps me save up! I don't mind if I have to wait a few weeks. Frankly, $100 goes a long way for me, so I appreciate that tons!

Xrocker said:
John Watkins said:
With all respect Cliff, if you had just said this any time in the last six months, there wouldn't be any complaints from anyone now.

Cliff said this a couple of years ago when the Ultra wait list began. You just weren't around to hear (read) it.

He may have said it in a years ago for a different product. That does not mean he was clear in communicating with respect to the MFC. In any fashion.

Look, I love Fractal products and know for a fact I have talked more than one person into taking the plunge, but that doesn't mean Cliff is above criticism. The system wasn't clear, now it is. It isn't perfect and frankly doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, but as has been stated ad nauseum, Cliff can do whatever he wants. I jumped in line because I am horribly impatient and I know the MFC will rock ass. $100 extra bucks to Cliff is well earned.

Hmm.
The problem with this is that those that have patiently waited are being pushed down the queue with those with more money.
I dont care about waiting per se, but doesnt seem right to me.

dirtypurple said:
Hmm.
The problem with this is that those that have patiently waited are being pushed down the queue with those with more money.
I dont care about waiting per se, but doesnt seem right to me.
Hey, it's the Golden Rule! :lol:

SBRocket said:
Really there is no reason to have expected that all on the waiting list would get all of the units first at a discount. If the waiting list was for full price units then I could see that.

Im catching up on this thread so this may have been answered.

Thing is, when I went on the waiting list it WASNT for a discount. It was so when they finally became availabe Id get one - in my turn. Now I dont expect to get one at a reduced price (though that would be nice) however I DID expect to be asked - when my time came - if I wanted one at full price BEFORE they were available at the click of a button from the website. I shouldnt have to check every few hours to see if there "in stock" and try and beat someone to the order button who HASENT waited for x years/months.

i too feel a little deceived. A waiting list is just that - it was never advertised as a discount list. Ive been away for 4 days with work, and when I come back I find people have ordered units that were not necessarily on the list despite the fact I have been, I have the money AND would have paid full price if asked.

for the first time I feel really let down my Fractal.

**EDIT**

I have now read the full thread, including Cliffs responses. I totally get hes running a buisiness - however many of us on the list would have happily paid full price for the Unit, and if hed sent out EMail with a 24hr respond time BEFORE he started updating the store inventory he'd have sold just as many units, and the same price. The only difference would have been those who have waited patiently - for years in some cases - would get first pick.

That said - its Cliffs buisiness and he get to set the rules. Im in the EU and our units arnt shipping yet (next week) BUT they are filling the list FIRST si ultimately im hapy - but I feel rather dissapointed with how Fractal has treated its US customers over this.

"deceived" might be a bit strong but I think I get your point.

It would make sense that those who have waited the longest (the waiting listers) and those who provided an early measurement as to market desire for such a product - would get some consideration relative to product availability. The discount turns out to be more of a anti-premium pass during the initial rush of sales for a newly released product.

I am curious though - how does being on the "waiting list" differ from just waiting to buy until the initial rush is over? During the initial rush for the Ultra, people had the choice of paying MSRP @ $2,300 of waiting for their "discount coupon" for $300 making the final cost $2,000. Once the mad rush for the Ultra had passed - the unit was listed with a "sale price" of $2,000. That $2,000 seems strangely similar to the MSRP less the "waiting list" discount.

From a business perspective, I understand the logic - turn the initial rush of demand into some extra profit. But at the same time, I now have a better appreciation for other people's frustration since:
1) Being on the waiting list - doesn't gain you a time advantage relative to product availability versus "non-waiting listers" during the introductory phase.
2) Being on the "waiting list" doesn't gain you a price advantage versus the "non-waiting listers" once the introductory phase has passed.
3) Being on the "waiting list" only provides a price advantage during the post-introductory-rush.

For those people near the end of the "waiting list" there may be no advantage. You'll get to wait, and wait to save $100. Only to find that a month or two later anyone would be able to buy the unit at the lower price anyway.

I don't think this policy is intended to be deceiving, since I hold Cliff and FAS et all in too high of a regard to make that assumption. But it is unfortunate that we weren't privy to all the details until this late date. I work in a business where one of our primary concerns is managing people's expectations. The frustrations that people are expressing in this thread are less about what FAS said regarding the "waiting list" and more about what FAS customers expected from the "waiting list". When expectations don't match reality both parties own parts of the problem. FAS said too little. Customers assumed too much. And finally, here were are with hurt feeling all around.

I was around for the Ultra introduction and I think Cliff and FAS deserve every penny that can get for these fine products. I joined the waiting list in order to voice my desire for the MFC. Now that the MFC is finally here, I'll be waiting longer still for my chance to buy a MFC at the same "post introductory" price as everyone else will in 3-4 months time. I'll still but my MFC and I'm sure it will be no less impressive than everything else I've seen from FAS. But I do hope that in the future, some how, maybe via wiki - we can remember the true nature of being on a "waiting list" for a pending FAS product.

cheers,

Cliff, I ordered it as soon as I saw that I could. Sure, I'd like to have saved $100. Who wouldn't? But then I thought: it's only $100, I'm tired of this Liquid Foot Junior (I should have never sold my Axess FX1 for this thing), the Axe-FX Ultra has nearly stopped all amp and pedal purchases for me for a couple years which has easily saved me way more than $100, and if a few of us dropping an extra $100 in your pocket helps compel you to develop more kick ass products then it's even better.

Also, everyone should go do some comparison shopping for units of similar quality:
  • Axess FX-1 before they shut their doors: $1099 [/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • Godius Big Little Giant - $999[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • Liquid Foot Pro - $899[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • Rocktron All Access - $979[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • Skrydstrup SC1 - $1785 (at today's exchange rate)[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • CAE RS10 - $799 and very limited capability[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]
  • Ground Control - $399 and also very limited capability[/*:m:1v2vg6nl]

For me its not the price or the discount or anything to do with that.

For me, someone coming along now, with an extra $100 in their pocket is going to make me wait longer.

Its just a foot controller as has been pointed out, and i guess this will "only" push me back a month or so. And money talks.

Sticks in the throat though doesnt it?

dirtypurple said:

For me, someone coming along now, with an extra $100 in their pocket is going to make me wait longer.

Its just a foot controller as has been pointed out, and i guess this will "only" push me back a month or so. And money talks.

+1

Much of the confusion for me stemmed from how Tom handled the Atomic FRFR waiting list last fall. When he received the first shipment he worked his way down his waiting list. I thought Cliff would do the same with the MFC. Perhaps others also expected it to be handled in the same fashion.

I've been around this forum for the past 1.5 years and I never knew there was an Ultra waiting list, etc. etc. etc.

And my reaction doesn't have anything to do with saving $100.

Cliff, it seems like you could easily sell this thing without the coupon and without dropping the price $100 once the waiting list orders are fulfilled.

$750 seems like a good price. It's less than the LFP and the Gordius and it's make specifically for the Axe. Granted, it doesn't have a software editor yet, but I'm sure you'll build one someday.

Sell it for $750. People will buy it!

dirtypurple said:

I didn't even know what the Axe FX was until a few weeks ago (I hadn't played guitar in a while). Bought one last week and the pedal yesterday. Good timing on my part. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Thanks Cliff for bringing great products to the market. Things sure have changed in the 10 years since I last played seriously.

I forgot to add:

Thanks for your comments Cliff. Much appreciated!

I wish you all the success in the world with the MFC! I hope you earn many, many, many times over what you invested in it. I have no doubt you will ;-)

FractalAudio said:
(and only so many fit in the back of my car).
Frankly. That puts things in perspective!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fractal is not shipping 18-wheeler-loads like Line 6.

I think at the very least someone aught to change the 'Availability' text on the Fractalaudio.com MFC page. It's not just misleading, it's a false statement.

FractalAudio said:
3. It's just a MIDI controller. A few extra days wait isn't going to kill you.

Can't argue that.. but what if it takes a LOT longer? What if demand has been grossly underestimated and there's like 1000+ people out there hovering over their computers waiting to pounce on the 5 or 10 per day that fit in Cliff's car?

I have one in the cart again.. should I "purchase"? (checks email again) Ack! What to do...

(edit).. I'll wait for email. What can I say.. I'm cheap!

Robboman said:
I think at the very least someone aught to change the 'Availability' text on the Fractalaudio.com MFC page. It's not just misleading, it's a false statement.

FAS MFC page said:
MFC-101 Midi Foot Controller - AVAILABILITY

We are currently distributing a limited number of units to artists, betatesters, and others. We will begin to fill reserve list orders later this month, and shortly thereafter, the MFC-101 will be made available for general ordering in our web store.

The man does have a point there. . . .

Waiting list or not, I just [this minute] went to the MFC-101 purchase page and clicked on "add to cart".
There was one available, so I bought it.
No coupon, and no $100 saved, but when comparing to other similarly priced units on the market, it's a good deal.
Shipped UPS ground.. should be here and ready to go before my October gigs :)

Anyone want or buy a Roland VG99 + GK-3 + FC300 foot controller :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom