Argentina Got The 3!!

DiegoFederico

Hi everyone! After a 7 month wait it's finally here! And it's insane!! I love it!

Even though i've been reading a lot, I have just (for now) one silly question i cant find on the internet. The cabs names will tell you the speak config. the mic that was used, a name that represents the real cab but sometimes it's followed by A then B then C and so on. So let say:

4x12 ENGL V30 A
4x12 ENGL V30 B
412 ENGL V30 C
etc etc

Can anybody tell me what the letters mean? I guess it would be a different take of the sound but it's not clear to me.

Thank you really much for your time, hope it wasn't discuss previously!

The letters don't mean anything in particular. We move the mic until it sounds good then capture an IR. Then we move it again and find another sweet spot. That becomes 'B'.

The letters don't mean anything in particular. We move the mic until it sounds good then capture an IR. Then we move it again and find another sweet spot. That becomes 'B'.
Depends on the IR producer, though. I believe some use those letters to indicate the speaker the mic was on.

Depends on the IR producer, though. I believe some use those letters to indicate the speaker the mic was on.

Definitely; everyone has their own naming system. Some may refer to a particular position (I always name my captures on the speaker cap as C, edge as E etc) whereas others may refer to the speaker (a/b/c/d in a cab). Sometimes the less you know about an IR the better, as you'll listen out for what you actually like as opposed to what you think you should like.

Sometimes the less you know about an IR the better, as you'll listen out for what you actually like as opposed to what you think you should like.

LOL, that's a fact.

When I first got into modeling (original POD), a friend was watching me fiddle with it, and asked "What good are all those models if you're going to try to make them all sound like NMV Marshalls?"

Back
Top Bottom