ARES - SVT 1 bass amp - with SQUIER precision bass - some riffage from the song "schism" by TOOL

mcl

So I just bought a new squier precision bass (classic vibe 60) and tried it with my go-to bass preset on the axe fx, which is based on the Ampeg SVT head + 4x10 cab.
This is not a full cover, just some riffing from the song, and i am not a bass player at all, but i think the squier and the axe fx sound really great together.
Tuning is drop D.
Firmware is ARES and amp is SV BASS 1.

I bought this p bass after comparing it with 3 other basses in the shop: 1 fender p bass that costed 1300 euros more and sounded almost identical, and 2 other squier basses that sounded nothing like this, much more muddy and undefined. I think with squier you cannot rely on average quality, you need to check some of them until you find a good one.

Let me know what you think...

Last edited:
ok sounds good. Maybe in a mix it will have too much lows?
Is the drive also coming from the SVT? any compression used or other blocks?

Thanks for listening.
The first block of the chain is a compressor. The second is a drive pedal, can't remember which one. I will check it when i will be back home tonight.
There's also a little bit of reverb after the cab that really makes the sound much more natural and realistic to my ears.
Having too much bass could be an issue in a mix depending on the guitar and kick drum sound, as well as the song tempo.
The chemistry on the low end of the spectrum is always difficult to find.

block 1: studio comp
block 2: graphic eq (lowered 250 hz freq)
block 3: drive (micro boost)

Back
Top Bottom