Ares on XL+ ... mission possible or impossible!

Actually no, that's not the quote that I'm talking about.
if you can't produce the quote, then you aren't talking about a "quote" at all.

This was said some time around mid-2017 where cliff said "As of now there are no plans for an axe fx III. The Axe fx II XL has plenty of horsepower for years to come". I'm paraphrasing a little bit, but finding the exact thread would likely be difficult at this point. Before you take up your torches and pitchforks because I know how-on-the-offensive you guys can be
when anyone says anything remotely negative about fractal, I love my fractal products and widely praise them among every musician that I know, but they were totally misleading about how long the XL+ would last, and I'm not the only one who's had the grievance.

Pitchforks or not, paraphrasing something loosely from memory can spark major issue here and elsewhere. You’d think people wouldn’t believe something one person said with loose reference/source, but it’s the internet and exactly how it works.

The only thing I saw in 2017 was this in October:

We have several exciting products coming out soon but none replace the AX-8. The AX-8 is still a relatively young product.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ere-could-be-a-mkii-soon.131461/#post-1556379

Unless you’re referring to this on April 1st:
The Axe-Fx III will be released in a week or two.
April Fools!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...or-axe-fx-and-more.125976/page-2#post-1499202

I love my fractal products and widely praise them among every musician that I know, but they were totally misleading about how long the XL+ would last, and I'm not the only one who's had the grievance.

So your XL+ fails to function now ? You’ve also seen into the future and can know that it will never receive another update ?

Again, why does there being a new product, with incompatible firmware, mean the II or Ax8 won’t get another update ?

Essentially what it sounds like is your going to be unhappy even after more xl+ updates because it’s not going to be the same thing as the III

You want to turn your II into a III with a free firmware update and that just isn’t going to happen any more so than an Ultra couldn’t be a II

Actually no, that's not the quote that I'm talking about. This was said some time around mid-2017 where cliff said "As of now there are no plans for an axe fx III. The Axe fx II XL has plenty of horsepower for years to come". I'm paraphrasing a little bit, but finding the exact thread would likely be difficult at this point. Before you take up your torches and pitchforks because I know how-on-the-offensive you guys can be
when anyone says anything remotely negative about fractal, I love my fractal products and widely praise them among every musician that I know, but they were totally misleading about how long the XL+ would last, and I'm not the only one who's had the grievance.

Are you sure you recall Cliff saying that, and not just us? I remember everyone else saying that, myself included, but not cliff himself. Though, we did have to take that from somewhere...
Also, could he have changed his mind?... Cab an Axe FX 3 be developed in half a year?

So much for the "All epiphanies will be ported"...
Oh well....
That's a bit harsh.

I think the countless updates that we've had for the Axe2 can create a sense of entitlement that is somewhat unrealistic. You can't knock Fractal for focussing on the new platform and making that the best it can be surely?

9.04 sounds great to me, if I never got another update I won't be left feeling shortchanged. Apple defunct their products every 5 minutes, time for some perspective I think.

It would be cool to get a line - even if just philosophically/directionally speaking of what happens to the II series post release of the III. Can FX updates like trichorus make it over to us, or newer/improved reverbs?

For context, I've had the XL+ for ~2.5 years, joining the club at Q1 and have the very cool experience of enjoying all the updates that came during this period. This kind of terrific factory support is unparalleled, but I wasn't here when Ultra EOL'ed and became AXE II, so I don't know what to expect for EOL of the XL+. I'm not displeased in any sense, just seeking to understand; perhaps a bit premature.

I did buy the XL+ for some future proofing, but so far it appears that its on the same EOL trajectory as all the IIs ... is that correct? What does the XL+ do for us? (Serious question.) Does it allow a little more room for something? I realize what Cliff is saying about being too slow on the CPUs, but does the XL+ buy us anything to continue the progress?

I'm not unhappy with Q 9.04, however for the 1st time in many years, I'm suffering from GAS (x III). I'll likely see how wide the gap becomes and see just how long the XL+ survives in the new world of the III.

Actually no, that's not the quote that I'm talking about. This was said some time around mid-2017 where cliff said "As of now there are no plans for an axe fx III. The Axe fx II XL has plenty of horsepower for years to come". I'm paraphrasing a little bit, but finding the exact thread would likely be difficult at this point. Before you take up your torches and pitchforks because I know how-on-the-offensive you guys can be

Not 2017.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ean-for-the-axe-fx.115566/page-9#post-1594015

New box, new platform. No surprise there. All par for the course. Should 9.04 be the last update for XL+ users, i would be totally fine with that. My XL+ is going to be a major workhorse in my humble bedroom studio for many years to come. It handles everything i need it for and then some. the XL+ will go down as a classic, and the classics never go out of style. i.e. '59 Bassman, JCM800, Big Muff fuzz, etcetera etcetera.

I have no complaints, even if I don't get another firmware update for the II (eventually I will upgrade anyway). I have never, in the almost 30 years I have played guitar, purchased a product that has received even a fraction of the support that the AxeFX II has gotten. My only regret is that I didn't come on board sooner. I didn't get my XL until 2015, so I missed quite a bit of the ride. If you think about it, for an electronics product to come to market and remain unsurpassed by any competitor for the duration of its 7 years of production is quite an accomplishment. I'm getting on board early with the III this time, and I will enjoy every minute of the ride.

I really love my xl+, but i bought it new last june, i paid full price for a fully supported product. It would be nice to have this support continued in full for a couple of years.

For me this purchase, is absolutely the best one i've ever did!!!
But to pay full price for only half a year of decent support ( firmware wise, i know support and service is top notch ) would be a bit dissapointing.

I bought my XL three years ago. I´m feeling the same. The updates are half of the fun.

Guys, I don't understand the negativity.

We have a commitment from the owner/lead developer of the company to continue updating the II and AX8 platforms as much as their hardware will allow. It will happen.The only caveat was that the III is higher priority, so the older platforms will lag. We now know that the new generation of amp modelling is off the table because of processing requirements. That still leaves new amps, new effects, and other improvements to look forward to.

I think the definition of “support” means different things to different people.

If a XL+ has a hardware fault, say the LCD goes blank, FAS will surely stand behind it, has replacement parts etc. That is the industry standard.

If one takes support to mean your going to get one new firmware each and every month for the next 3 years one may be disappointed.

As a long time FAS customer I do remember months where Cliff was putting out new updates several times a week. There were also periods where there was nothing months at a time.

Past results do not guarantee future updates, its as simple as that

I bought my II on fw6 I think, now it’s on Q9, which is like 25+ major updates over a number of years. That’s well and good but it certainly doesn’t mean that if someone buys a new one today that there will be another 25 major updates over the next few years.

As the product is already so refined that pace of development is likely to slow, it’s simply inevitable.

I remember feeling some of these thoughts when I bought the Ultra just prior to the release of the II. I questioned it too, as I was fairly new to the FAS development philosophy. I've since learned that FAS continues to push forward when and where they can, ultimately to the benefit of guitarists. Most of the time, this means new firmware, which we laud them for, deservedly. When it means new hardware, folks with the former generation feel left behind. Once I gave it some thought, I realized it was neither dishonest nor inconsiderate. Just the evolution of a product.

Fractal Audio Systems has an awesome history of giving away so much firmware that, if you were charged for it as other companies do, the "free" firmware would likely pay for the unit. How great is it that we're so spoiled that we can actually feel ripped off? What an indicator of how well we've been treated by Cliff Chase and Fractal Audio Systems.

So far, I've bought an Ultra, II, II XL+, AX8, MFC-I, MFC-III, EV-2, XA-1... and am on the list for the Axe Fx III. Paid full price for each of them, except the MFC-III, which I bought used. Apparently I got over my feelings of being unceremoniously left behind with my near-new Ultra. Truth is the Ultra still sounds great. As does my 1964 Fender Super Reverb, for which Fender has sent me exactly nothing in all these decades. FAS is an awesome company, and treats me better as a customer than any other company I have dealt with in 42 years of playing (yes I am that old, no I am not that good).

If you're frustrated because you bought "the best" and now you find there is a new "best" coming, I get that. Been there myself. I'm glad I stuck around for what's been (and continues to be) a fun ride with a great company, and an awesome bunch of people on this forum. I sincerely hope all of you who are unhappy with Fractal's way of continually pushing the barriers will come to feel the same way.

Last edited:
my feeling is you wont like the answer

I disagree. From things Cliff had said on other threads, I'd expect a new version with some new amp models in the near future.

I don't understand all the angst. This is tech; it's on the path to obsolescence the minute you open the box. There's only so much you can do to "future proof" yourself, and I'd say that Cliff has a track record of working hard to keep the older technologies that people have purchased current with as much new software as possible.

So your XL+ fails to function now ? You’ve also seen into the future and can know that it will never receive another update ?

Again, why does there being a new product, with incompatible firmware, mean the II or Ax8 won’t get another update ?

Essentially what it sounds like is your going to be unhappy even after more xl+ updates because it’s not going to be the same thing as the III

You want to turn your II into a III with a free firmware update and that just isn’t going to happen any more so than an Ultra couldn’t be a II

That is not what I'm saying at all. Fractal fanboys drive me absolutely nuts. Say anything remotely negative about anything related to fractal and you're instantly crucified for it. Like i previously said -----> I love my fractal products<----- (that means my XL+ and AX8) and claiming that I want my XL+ to turn into a III is pure stupidity on your end. I absolutely plan on buying a III, but I'm pretty certain that I had seen a comment in regard to there being no plans for a III that was posted in 2017. I can't find it, but I also have a very busy life and don't have time to search the thousands of posts on this forum to find it in order to appease strangers on the internet that I'll never meet. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and that's fine, and that's pure stupidity on my end. If I find the comment, I'll link it. Until then, I'm out of this discussion because frankly it's moot and isn't going to change the fact that I'm going to buy a III, will always love my fractal products, and will continue to advertise them to my friends and colleagues.

I have a TC Helicon thing that's nice and they had a software update utility they released with it, it got exactly zero updates...

Had some L6 stuff, they released some updates in the form of amp packs they wanted to sell me (or more like EQ settings they call amp packs!)...

Then there's my Yamaha drum brain, got one update, then a new flagship replaced it with exactly the same chip set, just a new interface and new sound samples....since then they've released at least one new flagship model (maybe 2?), still running the same chip set (AWM2) at 16bit 44.1khz (and Roland's doing the same....I think, still 16/44.1).

With my Axe FX II XL, got about 25 major FREE updates since my purchase that included new amps, effects and a constant stream of significant additions, seems likely to continue to see some improvements that trickle down from the III, no complaints here, I'm still shocked at how much FAS does to continually optimize their products and incorporate suggestions and requests from their customers.

I wish to clarify in case there is any misunderstanding - none of what I’ve written including the original OP is neither a complaint or a minor resentment.

I understand in our modern world that the tools we use evolve at it ever increasing rate of progress. Frankly I found the FAS approach of sending frequent firmware updates innovative, refreshing and generating huge loyalty amongst its consumer base, incl myself.

I’m just curious as to how much functionality might make it to a legacy platform having never been down this road with fractal. Anyone who thinks that’s a negative statement or believe that I am portraying FAS in a negative light with malice, would be incorrect.

I play my XL plus every day ... i’m just curious about its future now as I was a year ago. More so now perhaps…

Back
Top Bottom