Ares on XL+ ... mission possible or impossible!

∞Fractals

Fractal Fanatic
Will the new modeling algorithm “Ares” be backwards compatible and able to run on older hardware platforms?

Or, is it such a substantial change that the older hardware units cannot run it in the allotted time? (Or, any other constraints?)

Will this also impact the ability to migrate some of the effects improvements over to older hardware platform as well? Eg trichorus, reverbs, etc.

Thanks everyone-I realize the III as top priority - with boxes going out the door tomorrow. Just curious what the potential to be backwards compatible might be.

So much for the "All epiphanies will be ported"...
Oh well....
clearly there can be other epiphanies which aren't related specifically to amp modeling that required new hardware.

your negativity in general - whether joking or real - continues to be demotivating to many people here. hours of positive work i've just put in seemed to disappear in an instant.

clearly there can be other epiphanies which aren't related specifically to amp modeling that required new hardware. your negativity in general - whether joking or real - continues to be demotivating to everyone here.
Amp modelling is the most important bit of the axe for me. If there are no more updates for effects, I don't really care, but updates to amp modelling excite me. Even for Axe 3, I'm glad to see it moving forward, but disappointed that I'm not getting any of that.
Sorry if my expression of disappointment demotivates you.

So much for the "All epiphanies will be ported"...
Oh well....

Please be realistic!

Few people here doubt that any feasible (not ALL) epiphanies will be ported:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-xl-support.134798/#post-1595165

If one thing I'm sure is that Ares CPU demands are rutine work for III but overkill the rest of modelers around the world including Axe2 and Ax8.

Would it be better a less brilliant new amp modeling to be able to move it?
Ares is the future

Last edited:
clearly there can be other epiphanies which aren't related specifically to amp modeling that required new hardware.

your negativity in general - whether joking or real - continues to be demotivating to many people here. hours of positive work i've just put in seemed to disappear in an instant.

You're working on back porting stuff from the new platform?! Yay!

The people who are disappointed now just haven’t come to terms yet that they will inevitably be purchasing the III at some point. Although I’m not jumping in just yet, there is no question in my mind I’m on board, and I’m still a very very satisfied II owner.
I can only be grateful and absolutely ecstatic for everyone at Fractal for continuing on with their vision and unbelievable product & customer service. I bought the original AxeFX back in 2006 & to think how far this has come since is outstanding.
To Chris, I wouldn’t let any growing pains let ya get ya down, it’s part of it, but well worth it, it’s where ya need to go, and they’ll all be grateful in the end.
FreeMind, you’ve been around a long time, I’m gunna go out on a limb and bet you’ll be a III guy within a year or so.. (I’ve already come to terms, I just convinced my wife I “needed” a Knaggs Severn T1 lol, so that was pretty much it for the year.. shoulda went with a T2!! Had I only known, missed the timing of the III announcement by a month! Oh well.)

Where does this leave the AX8 in terms of firmware? Supposedly Fractal stated that there is no AX9 or AX10 any time soon on a recent thread and that they ordered a new production run because sales were better than expected. Though, Fractal has obviously been known to lie to people before like when they said that the Axe II had more than enough horsepower and would be developed for years to come to sell the last of their units, and then proceeded to announce the three like two months later after the liquidated II units couldn't be returned. But on the chance that Fractal was actually being truthful about this, I wonder how they would continue to implement updates for the AX8 in the future or if it would be updated at all.

Last edited:
How does the fact there is new modeling on the specific platform of the III automatically make people positive they will never see another update on the II or AX8 ?

Why can’t FAS continue to support the current products as possible while also moving ahead with new stuff on the III?

Who says it has to be all or nothing ?

Also for what it’s worth, I’d be pretty unhappy honestly if I just paid $2499 for my III and then find out that I could get the same thing on my AX8 or II, which I just sold

Whole point of me buying the III is because I want to be able to run the latest and greatest, and I’m willing to pay a premium for that leading edge benefit

Some folks just don’t seem to have a realistic idea of how any of this works in the business of selling what is essentially consumer electronics

Cliff said he can't switch the modeling on the older units, doesn't mean they won't get trickle down improvements from Ares....why would you even read that into his statement?

Clearly you won't be able to take all the power of the III and insert it into the older units, there wouldn't be a III if that were the case, but Cliff and company have a history of taking improvements in the flagship product and porting all they can to the less powerful units, it's been stated they have no plans to stop doing that whenever possible, we won't get Ares, but we will surely see updates to Quantum that benefit from Ares.

That said, I am just deciding when to hop on the waiting list for the III, as I happen to have some extra cash coming in and can handle the hit if I sell my II for the going 1500USD ( and not using it much at the moment, as I'm tracking drums for new tracks over the next few weeks....then bass and I have 3 tube rigs for bass ) anyone have a clue how long the wait might be if I jump on "soon"?

I'm a AxeFX2 owner and plan to move to AxeFX3 as soon as FAS sees my name at the top of their list... I read this forum as a guitarist and a geek but, some days, I find myself in dumbfounded by the ridiculous expectations of some. FAS is a business. They could work under any number of models (SW plugins vs proprietary HW, for example). Do you want FAS to adopt a subscription model for updates? I don't!

I have told many that the FAS unit I have is likely the single best music purchase decision that I've ever made.

Hours of great playing, hours of geeky exploration... and the transparency, zillions of updates, and tireless support has been staggering. As long as your unit turns on and sounds mindblowingly good, you've got nothing to feel cheated about.

Though, Fractal has obviously been known to lie to people before like when they said that the Axe II had more than enough horsepower and would be developed for years to come to sell the last of their units, and then proceeded to announce the three like two months later after the liquidated II units couldn't be returned.

The quote alot of people like to mention is from June 2016...
"We haven't even started working on an Axe-Fx 3. We expect to continue making the Axe-Fx II for at least a couple more years" (It's been two years)

Post #91: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ean-for-the-axe-fx.115566/page-5#post-1382790

People were quoting it for years without the source date so people got confused. The Axe Fx XL came out in 2014 and the normal II was 2011. This has been a long time coming.

Obviously I could be mistaken, but since I can't find any quotes stating otherwise, I believe this to the case. With all of the free upgrades (G3 Modeling, Quantum, tons of fx, amps, IRs and pedals) they've given and considering they treat their customers better than any tech/ guitar company, I've ever purchased from bar none, I trust that it would be highly out of character for them to purposely deceive people for profit.

Last edited:
The quote alot of people like to mention is from June 2016...
"We haven't even started working on an Axe-Fx 3. We expect to continue making the Axe-Fx II for at least a couple more years" (It's been two years)

Post #91: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ean-for-the-axe-fx.115566/page-5#post-1382790

People were quoting it for years without the source date so people got confused. The Axe Fx XL came out in 2014 and the normal II was 2011. This has been a long time coming.

Obviously I could be mistaken, but since I can't find any quotes stating otherwise, I believe this to the case. With all of the free upgrades (G3 Modeling, Quantum, tons of fx, amps, IRs and pedals) they've given and considering they treat their customers better than any tech/ guitar company, I've ever purchased from bar none, I trust that it would be highly out of character for them to purposely deceive people for profit.
Not to mention how do you keep making the axeII when the primary dsp processor isn't even made anymore! You don't, you redesign a new unit based on a new dsp.

I really love my xl+, but i bought it new last june, i paid full price for a fully supported product. It would be nice to have this support continued in full for a couple of years.

For me this purchase, is absolutely the best one i've ever did!!!
But to pay full price for only half a year of decent support ( firmware wise, i know support and service is top notch ) would be a bit dissapointing.

Actually no, that's not the quote that I'm talking about. This was said some time around mid-2017 where cliff said "As of now there are no plans for an axe fx III. The Axe fx II XL has plenty of horsepower for years to come". I'm paraphrasing a little bit, but finding the exact thread would likely be difficult at this point. Before you take up your torches and pitchforks because I know how-on-the-offensive you guys can be
when anyone says anything remotely negative about fractal, I love my fractal products and widely praise them among every musician that I know, but they were totally misleading about how long the XL+ would last, and I'm not the only one who's had the grievance.

Back
Top Bottom