Ares is coming to the AX8?

I've gotten the usefulness out of this thread. There are too many variables to predict what will happen. I'm fine with that.

Good grief people, stop with the "abandonment" issues! Seriously. Has anyone had a problem with an AX8 and not received support from Fractal, even if its no longer under warranty? Has anyone at Fractal said the AX8 is no longer supported? The answer is a resounding NO!

The AX8 will NEVER be and Axe Fx II on the floor, which if you're all honest is exactly what you want (but don't want to pay extra for) and will NEVER have full Ares modeling (but again, you don't want to pay extra for).

Everyone here seems to be an expert on how easy it is and don't understand why Fractal is holding out on us. Fractal has ported over some of the Ares modeling technology to the AX8, something they were not obligated to do but yet we now have it. Fractal goes above and beyond with their firmware updates and we should all be thankful they don't just hold onto their epiphanies and "improvements" to implement in a new product. Not once has there ever been a feeling that they do what they do for the money. They have a passion for it and have updated what they can when they can for so long that people now feel entitled and left out if they don't get what they want.

If the AX8 sounds so bad that a new firmware is necessary in order to be able to use it again, go to another brand or back to amps and pedals and the support you receive from those manufacturers.

My guess, Fractal is working on a new UI for the AX8 and a comparable product with a color display at the same time. No recent updates as they are focusing on making all aspects compatible. Of course this is pure speculation.

My bet is that all AX8 energy is being directed to new product development. The AX8 doesn’t have the DSP power to run what the Axe3 can run or even Axe2. The DSP on the AX8 is like half the Axe2 which is half the Axe3. That’s a physical limitation that no amount of wishful thinking is going to surmount.

Let’s say you could improve the amp modeling in the AX8 but you had to use both DSP’s to do it. You would have full blown Ares like the III but no chorus, reverb, delay,etc. Would that be worth it or worth Cliff’s time? Of course not.

IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking (if it was, there would not be a wish-list sub-forum ;) ) but I totally get it when the asking turns little by little into demands and that's where it becomes annoying. FAS owes absolutely nothing to us, and Cliff & Co represents a tremendous class-act in the industry when it comes to support for it's customers and let's be honest, if you frequent other forums dedicated to modellers and other digital gear the general consensus is "why my X-brand gear can't provide constant updates like the Fractal guys does?".

Also, I get it that anyone saying that the AX8's gonna get the FULL ARES port is being absolutely un-realistic. You want full ARES? Get an Axe Fx III or wait for future products. But, as I tried to explain in other posts, it's good to analyze the pros and cons for an AXE FX II BASED ARES port for the AX8 and already mentioned the limits on the DSP as the MAJOR drawback for this to happen, unlike the space in memory for code which seems superior than that of the Axe FX II (MK 1 & 2 at least) being a big pro, the con of the absence of people like Joe Rogers, and so on... Getting into this type of talk, speculation, whatever you want to call it is why we are here on a Discussion Forum.

Just want to speak for myself when I say that I was one of the first to step in when someone was 'demanding' Cliff to keep updating the Axe FX II and told the guy 'C'mon man, It's not cool, you heard the man" as soon as Cliff said "Honestly, I don't think it's gonna happen" and yet, Cliff gracefully proved us wrong and ported ARES (or the most of it) to the Axe FX II.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know Cliff but I'm sure he and his team has program plans in place and could handle eager customers asking for more. It's a healthy sign that users are asking for more instead of abandoning the platform.

People will always want more. I own a III , and would love my AX8 to be compatible with it.
But , it is what it is. It’s a great unit - AS IS.
I feel I got my money’s worth , and then some. Expecting more at this point ( IMO ) is unrealistic , but who knows.
I’m more excited for the NEXT generation of FAS floor units to hit the shelves.

The reality is: if Fractal decline to port the same partial Ares Axe FXii had to the AX8 because a new product will be released in april, would de a turning point in company's support.

A new product with full Ares, big color screen, etc (together with, maybe, a smaller version) AND the partial port to AX8 as a final firmware would make more sense given the company timeline. The new product would be widely available for Christmas, after the pre-order list fase, etc.

Ares is in it's childhood and the early adopters would buy te 'AX8ii' to restart the firmware game. Axe FXiii users obviously too.

This or a new smaller AX8 version and firmware update only, until next year.

Let's see.

The reality is: if Fractal decline to port the same partial Ares Axe FXii had to the AX8 because a new product will be released in april, would de a turning point in company's support.

A new product with full Ares, big color screen, etc (together with, maybe, a smaller version) AND the partial port to AX8 as a final firmware would make more sense given the company timeline. The new product would be widely available for Christmas, after the pre-order list fase, etc.

Ares is in it's childhood and the early adopters would buy te 'AX8ii' to restart the firmware game. Axe FXiii users obviously too.

This or a new smaller AX8 version and firmware update only, until next year.

Let's see.

If they follow the Axe3 timeline
Any new product lets say its the
AX8 MK2 will start shipping in 4 to 6 weeks
So i would say June if they announce something like that this month

But a new product could be anything
From new FX unit only. FRFR cabs
I guess we will know soon

Back
Top Bottom