Ares is coming to the AX8?

I'm sure Cliff will have something that will impress us

After all, his and team Fractals efforts to date haven't been all that shabby

While he didn't say it, the extra CPU on the Axe-2 is mostly dedicated to running an extra amp, cab and instances of fx blocks. If the AX8 can run it's own iteration of Quantum 9.04 then I imagine it's highly likely an Axe-2 Ares would be portable. Fingers crossed nonetheless.

My understanding is that both the Axe Fx 2 and the Ax8 has 2 CPUs each. One CPU is dedicated to running amp and cab modelling and one CPU runs the rest. The CPUs in the Ax8 are not as powerful which is why the Ax8 can only run one amp instead of two, and less effects. Presumably any advances in modelling that the Axe Fx 2 can run one the two amps the Ax8 should be able to run on the one.

That'd be great , but -

Remember when new firmware came out ( along the multiple firmwares updates , say around 7 -8 ish ? ) that made the AX8 more "efficient" ? ..... use less CPU. I think the brakes came on.

I would think THAT was when the AX8 could possibly have been headed down the Ares path. Ares didn't fall on our laps - the same day the III was announced fellows.

These are just my observations and OPINIONS. I love my AX8. No complaints. The support is top notch. If it never got another update , I would be completely satisfied.
There has to be a limit as to what can be improved upon , and stuffed into that little box.
( I think I remember Mr Chase commenting - that was the reason he needed the III. )
.....all a guess. Who knows , maybe the extra CPU is just for running more amps and effects simultaneously , along with the screen and more routing options. If so , that'd be fantastic.
I was skeptical of this being the case , when it was said that the patches were not compatible between the II and III though.

I don’t think Cliff said either unit is going to run the specific modeling version, instead that some features of the modeling which he feels is an improvement can be intergrated.

This is all well and good, but I don’t think we will see all the modeling be backwards ported

I don’t think Cliff said either unit is going to run the specific modeling version, instead that some features of the modeling which he feels is an improvement can be intergrated.

This is all well and good, but I don’t think we will see all the modeling be backwards ported

this is what I think will happen...

I'd say the AX8 and the AxeFx II will remain on Quantum, the AX8 Mk2 will have processors from the family the III uses and therefore be on Ares. This doesn't mean there will be no more amp model updates for Quantum.

Maintaining two different firmwares - Quantum and Ares - takes time and we should not expect the same update tempo anymore for Quantum. Hey, less hard resets on your amps, less adapting presets to new modelling algos. Just the box and you. You are your best firmware update when you try and learn how to squeeze even more out of the AX8. Still scratching the surface sometimes.

But I wouldn’t object a grain of Ares in my AX8 bowl in the future.

I think is pretty obvious that AX8 will have the same partial Ares that the discontinued Axe FXii had.

AX8 has the power to run one amp with the same algos that the FXii uses and is selling like hotcakes.

I would be surprised if they release an 'AX8ii' so soon. Just when Axe FXiii 'full Ares' really takes apart.

Last edited:
Looks like ARES and SkullCrusher have arrived as FINAL for the MK1/2 , XL and XL_+ , as 1.01

Cliff killed some support for presets prior to Q 7.0.......for space......doable on the AX8 ?

Are we next ???? :)

Back
Top Bottom