Ares 2.00 vs Quantum 10.01

tc7four

I've searched the forum for this but I couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been asked again. My Mk2 runs Ares 2.00 firmware. I'm dialing a tone with the same settings from a friend's Axe Fx Mk2 running Quantum 10.01 firmware. The preset tone on mine is different and less gainy than on his. So, I was wondering if I can install the Quantum firmaware on mine to see if this will have an impact on the sound I'm going for. Is that possible and if yes will I be able to go back to Ares 2.00 without any issues on my unit? Thanks and again sorry if this has been asked before.

Happy holidays everyone!

I've searched the forum for this but I couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been asked again. My Mk2 runs Ares 2.00 firmware. I'm dialing a tone with the same settings from a friend's Axe Fx Mk2 running Quantum 10.01 firmware. The preset tone on mine is different and less gainy than on his. So, I was wondering if I can install the Quantum firmaware on mine to see if this will have an impact on the sound I'm going for. Is that possible and if yes will I be able to go back to Ares 2.00 without any issues on my unit? Thanks and again sorry if this has been asked before.

Happy holidays everyone!
you can go back, but presets made on the newer firmware may not work. always do full backups before updating.

if 2.00 has less gain at the same setting, just increase the gain. it is different because it's a different firmware.

I have an XL and XL+, both run the same firmware, the same presets and yet on the XL they sound a little cleaner, less distorted. I haven't found out why, all the IO and deep setting settings seem to be the same as I had the XL copy the settings of the XL+. It puzzles me, kinda annoys me, but the difference is not that great to warrant me to go all Sherlock Holmes on them. I use the XL+ for rehearsals and live shows, where I don't think anyone would notice it anyway and where cutting through a mix is my biggest concern.

I have an XL and XL+, both run the same firmware, the same presets and yet on the XL they sound a little cleaner, less distorted. I haven't found out why, all the IO and deep setting settings seem to be the same as I had the XL copy the settings of the XL+. It puzzles me, kinda annoys me, but the difference is not that great to warrant me to go all Sherlock Holmes on them. I use the XL+ for rehearsals and live shows, where I don't think anyone would notice it anyway and where cutting through a mix is my biggest concern.

That's very strange indeed. They should sound the same.

I have had two units also that sounded differently. I believe at the time one was an MkII and the other was XL+. Try this test though. Create the presets from scratch using no saved blocks, and build them up the same and see if they sound the same. The reason why I say no saved blocks is because as the firmware has been updated the sound of the blocks themselves have changed. If you've saved a block under an older firmware it may sound different than one from a newer firmware.

I'd be interested to know if they sound the same!

How does Ares 2.0 sound and feel overall on the AXE 2? I'm thinking of selling my kemper and switching since its cost effective. Was hoping to get some opinions on everything.

Just charged 2.0, as a replacement of 9.04. Sounds good. A little bit more hairy and more compression on mids though. Hope it will cut through the mix with a bit retweaking.

There a few adjustments which are not bound to any presets. They are input level, global amp gain and input type: mono left /stereo.

All these will affect how the preset distorts and suggesting this maybe overlooked in you analysis of the results from the two units regardless of any firmware difference mentioned.

There a few adjustments which are not bound to any presets. They are input level, global amp gain and input type: mono left /stereo.

All these will affect how the preset distorts and suggesting this maybe overlooked in you analysis of the results from the two units regardless of any firmware difference mentioned.
Have input level, input type and global amp gain been changed in Ares compared to Quantum ??

I honestly dont know. Im just saying about these setting as they will have an affect of amp distortion
Ok, AFAIK these values are never modified with firmware evolutions. I sometimes use if I change guitars...fe humbucker to single coil is about plus 6dB.

Reactions: NMG
Have input level, input type and global amp gain been changed in Ares compared to Quantum ??
I'd imagine there would be no reason for Cliff to have consciously changed those values in the new firmware.
However, weird things DO happen w/ FW updating. We know that because folks report incidents often where stuff mysteriously changes– that shouldn't– after they update. Sometimes, redoing the update eliminates the gremlins.
At any rate... it's a good idea to check those values, even if they AREN'T supposed to change w/ the new update.

Last edited:
So far not that much tweaking on this change, at least not on these basic parameters. I tend to use a bit more the dynamics paramètres than before.

I went back from Ares to Quantum; I didn't like the sound of Ares vs Quantum. The expression, it all sounded a bit more hairy and compressed was true for me as well.
I'm doing mostly studio work, so trying to re-tweak every base preset and effect seemed an unnecessary task, just to get to where I was already. If you're happy with your sound, why change? My 1983 Marshall hasn't changed... And no firmware update... well, it did actually Tubes are just as finicki as firmware :)

Back
Top Bottom