Ares 2.0 vs Axe-Fx III fw.14 (worth the upgrade?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOAWM

Inspired
For the last 8 years, I have been using an Axe-FX II. After a while, mostly because I found it too cumbersome to constantly move my rack between my home, our rehearsal place and shows, I went back to playing live with tube amps (VHT Ultra Lead and pedalboard). As a guitar player, I am mostly focused on genres as post-metal, atmospheric black metal and other kinds of heavy music (LINK to my band as reference)

Since the whole covid-19 crisis made it impossible to tour and rehearse, I have started to school myself on recording, mixing and mastering. The past few months have been really fun in that regard. Currently, I am working on preproductions for my band and this sparked my interest in upgrading to the Axe-FX III to easily re-amp in the mix over USB and hopefully use these tools to record the guitars for our future releases ourselves.

To be honest, I still feel that I have only scratched the surface of the Axe-FX II and notice that I am not the kind of person that has the knowledge nor the ear for deep-diving into the advanced settings and recreating the sounds I hear inside my head or on albums of bands I enjoy. I often witness myself spending more time adjusting settings (both in the FXII and in my DAW) and this is decremental to my own creativity.

So, I am curious whether upgrading to the Axe-FX III (with the current firmware) would feel as a major step up in terms of basic amp sounds? On a technical level, the I/O flexibility to re-amp in the mix over USB and the possibility to connect two guitars at once (for jamming and recording with other band members) sound like things I would really enjoy.

To be transparant, I have also started to contemplate whether it would be a better option to keep the Axe-FX II and add a (powered) Kemper to my toolbox. The Kemper is less about tweaking and more about finding the right profile, which will possibly help me to find mix-ready tones more easily. This option would also provide me with a lightweight alternative to my current live rig for those instances when it is impossible to bring our full backline on tour. If I buy the Axe-Fx III it would remain in my home studio.

So, I am really curious about your perspective on this? I have read countless threads in multiple message boards, but most of the comparisons between the II and III seem to be from a while ago.

Thanks and sorry for writing half a novel here...

Didier

Hi Didier,
Short answer from my experience:
1. I owned an AxeFX II XL+ and Kemper concurrently.
2. My powered Kemper required tweaking.
3. I bought an AxeFX III and sold the AxeFX II.
4. I sold the powered Kemper.

Additional context:
If you currently prefer to purchase third-party Profiles, then you have the same option for Presets with the Fractal. For example, Kemper has Michael Britt, and Fractal has AustinBuddy.

Again my opinion, but the AxeFX III sounds fantastic - a significant improvement over my Kemper KPA.

I have always sent one set of stereo outputs to FOH, and another set of stereo outputs (bypassing cabinet/speaker IR) through a amp, and on to guitar speaker cabinets on the stage. This way, the audience hears what they’ve heard all of their lives, and I hear what I’ve heard all of my life.

So you have my two cents...

Yes it's better. For a start its a lot better to use and the connectivity are a big step up. Is it a massive audio advance? I think this depends on who and how you'r using it. Go and look at some Rick Graham videos on YouTube and remember that is all Axe2.
I made the switch and on balance it was good for me but nobody listening is really going to notice. You should do what YOU feel is best for YOU.

@skydog Thank you for your insights and for sharing your personal experience. Great to hear that the III has made your other gear redundant.

@Andy Eagle You raise a valid point. The user is indeed an important part of the puzzle and the II is still a great unit that can produce world class sounds if used correctly. I do expect a big upgrade in terms of IO possibilities and ease-of-use, so I am glad that you have confirmed this.

@DLC86 That sounds really interesting. Takes me back to the days where the Axe-Fx II was the latest and greatest, constantly lurking on the forum what was waiting behind the corner in terms of updates. Although this is not a reason to buy a specific unit, I personally experienced the constant updates as really inspiring, making me dive deeper into the unit and trying different things out.

At this moment, the only "downside" I am hearing for choosing the Axe-FX III over the Kemper is that I will probably stick to my current live rig and tube amp. I have just sold my old Matrix amp and monitors and the Axe-FX III would remain on my desk as my home unit. Buying the Kemper (and keeping the II) would provide me with two live rigs to choose between. But since I am really happy with my current amp, that should not be the priority.

I made the switch and on balance it was good for me but nobody listening is really going to notice. You should do what YOU feel is best for YOU.

A lot of listeners don't have the ears and/or playback system to really appreciate (or care about) the difference(s) in sound quality between the original and remastered versions of many albums, for example, but studios don't mix and master for the lowest common denominator. Likewise, if I used gear that would satisfy the lowest common denominator of listener, I could've probably stopped at the POD 2.0.

Axe2 is very far from lowest common denominator. Can you honestly say there is anything wrong with Rick cover of "Time" that an axe 3 would have helped with?

Axe2 is very far from lowest common denominator.

I wasn't referring to the Axe-Fx II. I specifically said "lowest common denominator of listener". We're talking about listeners. You stated, "nobody listening is really going to notice". If players based their gear choices on the critical listening skills of the average music consumer, players wouldn't need an Axe-Fx II, III, or even a Line 6 POD XT. A POD 2.0 would probably suffice.

Last edited:
For the last 8 years, I have been using an Axe-FX II. After a while, mostly because I found it too cumbersome to constantly move my rack between my home, our rehearsal place and shows, I went back to playing live with tube amps (VHT Ultra Lead and pedalboard). As a guitar player, I am mostly focused on genres as post-metal, atmospheric black metal and other kinds of heavy music (LINK to my band as reference)

Since the whole covid-19 crisis made it impossible to tour and rehearse, I have started to school myself on recording, mixing and mastering. The past few months have been really fun in that regard. Currently, I am working on preproductions for my band and this sparked my interest in upgrading to the Axe-FX III to easily re-amp in the mix over USB and hopefully use these tools to record the guitars for our future releases ourselves.

To be honest, I still feel that I have only scratched the surface of the Axe-FX II and notice that I am not the kind of person that has the knowledge nor the ear for deep-diving into the advanced settings and recreating the sounds I hear inside my head or on albums of bands I enjoy. I often witness myself spending more time adjusting settings (both in the FXII and in my DAW) and this is decremental to my own creativity.

So, I am curious whether upgrading to the Axe-FX III (with the current firmware) would feel as a major step up in terms of basic amp sounds? On a technical level, the I/O flexibility to re-amp in the mix over USB and the possibility to connect two guitars at once (for jamming and recording with other band members) sound like things I would really enjoy.

To be transparant, I have also started to contemplate whether it would be a better option to keep the Axe-FX II and add a (powered) Kemper to my toolbox. The Kemper is less about tweaking and more about finding the right profile, which will possibly help me to find mix-ready tones more easily. This option would also provide me with a lightweight alternative to my current live rig for those instances when it is impossible to bring our full backline on tour. If I buy the Axe-Fx III it would remain in my home studio.

So, I am really curious about your perspective on this? I have read countless threads in multiple message boards, but most of the comparisons between the II and III seem to be from a while ago.

Didier
Your band is awesome! Vocals remind me a bit of Downfall Of Gaia, but the instrumentation has some really cool Austere-chordy stuff going on. Reeeaaally interesting, I'm gonna binge your music tonight.

As a studio tool, I'd take the Axe over the KPA. I'd rather have the flexibility and not need it than vice versa. As stated, I think the notion that it's easier to get a good tone through the Kemper has been more or less disproven (especially if you buy presets), though I could see how it would make more sense for live use, in your case. You could get a power amp and a small rack case to use the Axe live, but you've probably considered that already.

Let it be known that I dont have any experience with the II or a Kemper, so I wont be of much use here. But your band rips and best of luck!

Didier
Hey Didier,

I believe I’d have to say yes, to your core question about whether the AxeFX-III w current 14.05 firmware is worth the purchase comparing against an AxeFX-II, and I suppose a Kemper. The following excessive verbiage is mainly to support my provided answer.

I started in the Fractal gear w an Ultra, when they were new, and got the AxeFX-II, and then the II-XL+ both new when they came out. When I got the II, I also ordered the MFC-101, Where the Ultra had/has good tone, it just wasn’t nearly as easy to dial in a killer tone, compared to the II. When the III was announced, I was already fully trusting that Cliff would continue to hit it out of the park, which he has. But no matter about my belief, the tone and feel have continued to get better, and it is more and more easy to create tones that rock my world! I ordered two of the AxeFX-III, one upon announcement and the second when a price dip occurred, to have backup in case the “brains” went down, as well as an FC-6 & FC-12. I’m in fortunate circumstances and only sold the first three units and MFC to make additional room, as I was purchasing the AxeFX-III’s.

I personally get the best tone, feel, and flexibility out of the AxeFX-III’s, comparing anything I’ve ever played through (and I still own my original Mesa Mark IIC), and this is without any deep diving like I did with the early units. I know budget effects everyone in different ways, but I’d have to ask why you wouldn’t get two, and keep one in your studio, while gigging the other? You’d have the same awesome tones at gigs and make life as easy as possible. I really hope my sharing will help in your quest. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Lee

Last edited:
Your band is awesome! Vocals remind me a bit of Downfall Of Gaia, but the instrumentation has some really cool Austere-chordy stuff going on. Reeeaaally interesting, I'm gonna binge your music tonight.

Thank you so much for these compliments! It's quite funny that you mention Downfall of Gaia. Our last show before the whole covid-19 crisis really started to restrict our day-to-day lives was as a support for them in Germany. A couple of days later, they had to return home from the tour because all of the shows were cancelled. It sucks so much that we released our album in februari and then saw all of our touring plans go up in smoke. Luckily, we all have stable jobs and are healthy, so I am aware of our privileges. But still, as everyone, I envisioned 2020 completely different.

As a studio tool, I'd take the Axe over the KPA. I'd rather have the flexibility and not need it than vice versa. As stated, I think the notion that it's easier to get a good tone through the Kemper has been more or less disproven (especially if you buy presets), though I could see how it would make more sense for live use, in your case. You could get a power amp and a small rack case to use the Axe live, but you've probably considered that already.

A couple of months ago I sold my Matrix GT1000FX and CFR12 monitors, because I was no longer using them live. So, I do not foresee myself gigging with the Axe-Fx III. But your comment made me think of another option...

Maybe after purchasing the Axe-Fx III I could consider selling my pedals and ordering an FM3 to replace them. So, I could use the FM3 with my tube amp, but have the flexibility to pair that pedalboard with a power-amp for when I want to travel light.

Hey Didier,

I believe I’d have to say yes, to your core question about whether the AxeFX-III w current 14.02 firmware is worth the purchase comparing against an AxeFX-II, and I suppose a Kemper. The following excessive verbiage is mainly to support my provided answer.

I started in the Fractal gear w an Ultra, when they were new, and got the AxeFX-II, and then the II-XL+ both new when they came out. When I got the II, I also ordered the MFC-101, Where the Ultra had/has good tone, it just wasn’t nearly as easy to dial in a killer tone, compared to the II. When the III was announced, I was already fully trusting that Cliff would continue to hit it out of the park, which he has. But no matter about my belief, the tone and feel have continued to get better, and it is more and more easy to create tones that rock my world! I ordered two of the AxeFX-III, one upon announcement and the second when a price dip occurred, to have backup in case the “brains” went down, as well as an FC-6 & FC-12. I’m in fortunate circumstances and only sold the first three units and MFC to make additional room, as I was purchasing the AxeFX-III’s.

I personally get the best tone, feel, and flexibility out of the AxeFX-III’s, comparing anything I’ve ever played through (and I still own my original Mesa Mark IIC), and this is without any deep diving like I did with the early units. I know budget effects everyone in different ways, but I’d have to ask why you wouldn’t get two, and keep one in your studio, while gigging the other? You’d have the same awesome tones at gigs and make life as easy as possible. I really hope my sharing will help in your quest. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Lee

Thank you for the elaborate message, Lee! This are the exact kinds of experiences I was hoping to read. Really glad to hear that the process of dialing in a killer tone has become easier with the Axe-Fx III. I am started to get convinced that the Kemper-route might not be for me after all: I am familiar with the workflow of the Axe-Fx, could use the added I/O possibilities of the III at home and (think to) prefer the flexibility to build tones from scratch.

Purchasing two would feel a little overkill at the moment, but I understand your perspective. Based on the comment of Ghast and your feedback, I think that an FM3 on my pedalboard (together with my tube amp and with the added flexibility of using it standalone with a poweramp) would be best of both worlds. I might be starting to regret selling my Matrix GT1000FX, haha.

I wasn't referring to the Axe-Fx II. I specifically said "lowest common denominator of listener". We're talking about listeners. You stated, "nobody listening is really going to notice". If players based their gear choices on the critical listening skills of the average music consumer, players wouldn't need an Axe-Fx II, III, or even a Line 6 POD XT. A POD 2.0 would probably suffice.
But you wouldn't be able to tell either with Rick playing. Which is the point I was making . Are you a lowest common denominator listener?
Obviously you'r not but hopefully you see my point.

Thanks again for all of the input. Just received confirmation that someone is coming over for a guitar I had for sale next week. I am now officially on the waiting list for an Axe-FX III mk2 and according to G66 it will be able to order in about 3 weeks.

Once I receive the III I will try to sell my II and MFC-101 and - when we are allowed to play live again - invest that money in an FM3 to replace my pedalboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom