Ares 2.0 verdict?

Using Ares 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 56 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Bix

Reading through the comments in the firmware release left me guessing what the overall opinions were. I’m sure there are differences of opinion, but I was curious whether folks are using 2.0 or not? Thanks in advance for participating!

Area 2.0, Ares 51, I don't care where the firmware comes from, when it comes I just update and never look back. I don't have the Golden Ears of the Gods so it all sounds the same to me. I might get some new goodies like amps or FX though, or some new parameters to toy with. Other then that I've rarely if ever noticed a difference. Which always made me boggle my mind to read some of you giggling like preteen schoolgirls like how everything sounds so different now and how an amp model sounds so radically different it had them playing for hours. There was a youtube vid that did the same riff and lead over every firmware version from 1.0 to Quantum 7.0. I'll include it below. So you can hear the differences in time. Just for the lulz I checked out 1.0 to Q.7.0 to hear the difference. You'd think 25 firmware versions further there would be a massive difference. The only thing my not so Golden Ears of the Gods could discern was a little (tiny) more low end in Q.7.0.

I knew when I posted that it wasn't going to make any sense after the typo in the thread subject was fixed. Originally, it said, "Area 2.0 - Verdict?"

I was just being a smart-ass. Stickman mentioned a government coverup, so I said...like Ares 51, instead of Area 51...the UFO hangar.

After upgrading to 2.0, I started sporting a mullet and now only listen to John Stewart. There's people out there turning music into gold.

Area 2.0...just like Area 51, except no spaceships, hangars or aliens -- just some comicon nerd swingers in a warehouse.

Last edited:
Area 2.0, Ares 51, I don't care where the firmware comes from, when it comes I just update and never look back. I don't have the Golden Ears of the Gods so it all sounds the same to me. I might get some new goodies like amps or FX though, or some new parameters to toy with. Other then that I've rarely if ever noticed a difference. Which always made me boggle my mind to read some of you giggling like preteen schoolgirls like how everything sounds so different now and how an amp model sounds so radically different it had them playing for hours. There was a youtube vid that did the same riff and lead over every firmware version from 1.0 to Quantum 7.0. I'll include it below. So you can hear the differences in time. Just for the lulz I checked out 1.0 to Q.7.0 to hear the difference. You'd think 25 firmware versions further there would be a massive difference. The only thing my not so Golden Ears of the Gods could discern was a little (tiny) more low end in Q.7.0.

That was really interesting.

It's hard to say what that really tells you, though. I get the, "keep everything the same except for the version", approach as intuitively the fairest, but it might say more if things were tweaked to get the best possible sound for each firmware version. So then you'd be comparing the capabilities of each firmware, not some hypothetical use case where all of the knobs are at 5, and presence and depth are at 0 - which may not even be good settings for showing the differences between the firmware.

I can't even begin to imagine how much effort went into making that video. Whoa!

Yes and no sweat with it. Probably it is better, maybe a little bit more close again, the guitar seems to cut more in the amp if that expression helps anybody.... But for me axe fx is already better than the real thing since FW7 or so..so I'm a bad judge and not neutral at all ! Can't help it ;-)

Use Ares 2, and it is excellent. I love. But if it is true that I still think that the fw 10.01 had something. I do not know. Whenever I update, the first thing I try is the amps and cabs alone, without effects and with headphones; and 10.01 I remember very well, that I am amazed. I really don't know why that was. I really look forward to that update they have said, months ago, to see if "that magic" reappears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom