Ares 1 for AX8?

My concern is that like when I buy expensive items such as cars, I tend to use them for 12+ years, same with equipment. If a certain model is suddenly not supported after a while, not fun. I rather buy something I know will have a longer expected lifetime. I'm not that picky about DSP power and nuances myself.

So it's like Disaster Recovery for your virtual guitar rig. Back-in-the-day you'd have, say, a sansamp and poweramp handy in case your JCM800 burnt up. Now we want to ensure detailed amp and fx firmware emulation compatibility between virtual 'rigs'. It's cool that we're at the level of maturity - but still seems like high-level of angst - *TO ME*! Flame away - it's cool.

My concern is that like when I buy expensive items such as cars, I tend to use them for 12+ years, same with equipment. If a certain model is suddenly not supported after a while, not fun. I rather buy something I know will have a longer expected lifetime. I'm not that picky about DSP power and nuances myself.

You’d like your car to still run in 12 years of course, but do you expect the dealer to keep upgrading your car with new desires over those 12 years ?

If a new model year has a different engine etc, do you expect the dealer would just upgrade yours ?

I think there will be a ton of ax8’s still working in 12 years and still sounding great, but who knows when the last update will be on it. Two totally different things.

No, but I expect spare parts and fixing for at least six years. I'm sure AX8s will work 12 years from now but I rather buy a brand new model than something that is not supported soon. Similar to Mac laptops, I rather buy a brand new one than let's say a 2014 model that will be depreciated next year by Apple.

There's no official statement that the ax8 won't receive any other update, so I guess it will come SOONer or later.
But at the same time I see a new version of the hardware coming pretty soon so it could just be the last update.

Btw, ax8 is 4 years old (since its announcement at least) and I think it could be expected to have a shorter life-cycle compared to the flagship model.

Last edited:
...reminds me of my good old Firewire Audio interface I was forced to part ways with when I switched to a new Mac laptop with Thunderbolt 3.0/USB interfaces only and I didn't want to invest over $100 in a three part dongle combination....

Btw, ax8 is 4 years old (since its announcement at least) and I think it could be expected to have a shorter life-cycle compared to the flagship model.
In search for tone, thousands of variable get into the final result. Many of them have great, little or no impact on tone "as we are able to discern them" (see Cliff post). The flagship has CPU power to spare... it is possible to test the component models. Hear how they affect sound and feel. Having a clear idea of that help to focus on the essential algo's and refine, semplificate and make them more efficent, striving for a perfect emulation or, on the other hand, fit a refined algo in a device that has bigger limitation (CPU & memories).
The flagship help the AX8 to sound and feel better. Obviously, the flagship is the "experimental" one, so more beta release. :)

The FAS reputation is primarily and fundamentally about quality of amp tone and feel plus world class fx. The very best in modeling.

That they do frequent updates is ALL gravy.

Remember what is important here. Your Axe8 is still as good (if not better than) when you bought it.

Most companies would never even consider providing you a software update. Consider yourselves lucky that you even get the opportunity of consideration; anything else is hubris.

Want more? Step up to higher capacity FAS products with more CPU and memory like countless others have ...

Want more? Step up to higher capacity FAS products with more CPU and memory like countless others have ...
I'll do it as soon as they throw out a new floorboard, I can't see myself going back to a rack+controller after experiencing for a couple years the convenience of a compact and powerful ax8, even with its drawbacks.
Everytime the GAS for the axe fx 3 tries to win on me, I think about that (the thought of spending more than 3000€ to have it helps too)

In the meantime I'm here waiting "patiently" and still quite happy with the Ax8.

I'll do it as soon as they throw out a new floorboard, I can't see myself going back to a rack+controller after experiencing for a couple years the convenience of a compact and powerful ax8.
Everytime the GAS for the axe fx 3 tries to win on me, I think about that (the thought of spending more than 3000€ to have it helps too)

In the meantime I'm here waiting "patiently" and still quite happy with the Ax8.

Fair enough -

I just think some people should be happy and enjoy what the have paid good $$$ for, instead of what they might get for free. :)

Fair enough -

I just think some people should be happy and enjoy what the have paid good $$$ for, instead of what they might get for free. :)

That’s all fine but the standard has been set for constant updates. Now you’re telling people to just be happy with it the way it is? That’s a tough pill to swallow since it’s still a current product. Just my 2 cents.

That’s all fine but the standard has been set for constant updates. Now you’re telling people to just be happy with it the way it is? That’s a tough pill to swallow since it’s still a current product. Just my 2 cents.

Curious. Does it sound bad?

Did you really buy it in hopes of what it might be 3-4 yrs after rollout?

I don't expect these kinds of systems to be upgraded more than 3-4 times, looking for example Boss Katana firmware upgrades (three major and multiple minor). Which is fine. I also expect that most board systems come out with a re-design every four years or so, too, based on component pricing, cheaper RAM, better CPUs/DSPs for the same price point and so on.

Curious. Does it sound bad?

Did you really buy it in hopes of what it might be 3-4 yrs after rollout?

I never said it sounded bad and I never said I bought it for updates. I’m saying it’s become the norm, so when it doesn’t happen, people ask questions. Personally I don’t care, I was just giving my opinion.

Opinions are fine ... that makes the forum work. :)

I’d respond with this (which I learned long, long ago in some distant galaxy, errr ... I mean church basement):

Serenity is inversely proportional to expectations.

Except for Line 6...and Atomic...and Kemper...and Headrush...and Boss...and Zoom......

Let’s not pretend Fractal invented fw updates. It’s industry standard at this point.

And fractal has been more than generous (and continues to be with their II and III updates).

But, is that why you bought FAS?

I guess I am dumb ... I bought all my FAS products for what they were ... not what they would be (which is unknowable).

I’m good. Y’all opine all you want. Have a good weekend.

Back
Top Bottom