Not a Bug Ares 1.03 Delay mix

NMG

Experienced
Has anybody noticed that the delay mix control doesn't seem to be as affective? id say that the first repeat seems very loud, louder than the dry even at 40%

I cant seem to control the mix level to where i want it to be very well at all at the moment. The delay im using is digital mono.

I always found the mix to be a problem free controller for the past 6 years... until now

What do you guys think

Last edited:
Where is the Delay block located? If it is before any thing that will compress the signal, like and Amp or Comp block, it will exhibit this behavior, in the real world too.

The delay block is in the usual place i keep it across all my presets, after everything except the reverb block. But yes to your suggestive question, is it like the repeats are compressed

The delay block is in the usual place i keep it across all my presets, after everything except the reverb block. But yes to your suggestive question, is it like the repeats are compressed
Okay.. Are using any 'Ducking' in the Delay block?

Im not using ducking. Ive reset the block and noticing this.

If you load a delay block and choose effect type analogue mono, set the mix to 50%, do you notice the first repeat is louder than the input?

Nothing seems different here with Ares 1.03.

The default EQ for analog mono type puts 90~4500 Hz above unity (see block EQ page). With EQ flat (like digital type defaults) wet & dry are equal level with mix at 50%.

This is puzzling. I can get the delay mix close to where i desire but i need to set it around 8 %...12% still then it seems a bit strange- not the smooth delays im used to. Ive use axe fx 2 delays for 6 years exclusively.

Sounds like you might have the delay in front of the amp? Mix behaves very differently in this position as it would on traditional gear.

delay block is Definitely after the amp.

Ive noticed thats its not in every type of delay. Some sound as they should ie mix @ 20 gives the correct level for the repeats where as on others the repeats are way too loud. I will do a thorough check later and see which delay types i have the issue with.

:)

I think I always had the issue with the delay mix (from about the quantum 9), that it was hard to set it low enough.
But now I adjust it with input gain in the delay block, as this only turn down the signal to the delay, not the over all level. Then the mix knop is more easy to set.. Maybe this will help..

I think I always had the issue with the delay mix (from about the quantum 9), that it was hard to set it low enough.
But now I adjust it with input gain in the delay block, as this only turn down the signal to the delay, not the over all level. Then the mix knop is more easy to set.. Maybe this will help..

thanks i will try that

Any update on checking which delay types you're noticing this with? I don't think the delay block changed from Quantum to Ares.

Posting a preset might be useful. Then someone could check if anything is somehow making the relative delay/dry level different from expected for a certain mix %.

Reducing input gain is pretty much like lowering mix, unless you're using drive within the delay block, which would make input gain clean up the sound without as much of a level drop.

Assuming no drive and mix value 50% or lower: ingain x mix x 2 = delay output level

here's a preset. Thanks for checking it out

N

Attachments

• axe fx 2 A1.03 dly mix.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Ping-pong delay tends to sound louder than other types because of the pan law. +6 dB in one channel sounds louder than 0 dB in both channels. The same thing will happen adjusting echo pan with mono delay type.

Nothing else seems unusual. That's just how echo pan or ping pong spread parameter operates. Set mix to whatever sounds good.

ive noticed that the loud repeat that im talking about is more apparent when running out2 before the cab into a real matrix amp and Laney cab. Ive checked my out 2 configuration and nothing i set changes anything i can notice. but here is a preset in mono configuation. Let me know what you think, thanks. N

Attachments

• Delay repeat is loud.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Instead of "ping pong" delay maybe use "dual"..? It's technical the same effect and do/sound the same. Then you can turn down the "level left" and "level right" in "Time/FB" window.. The mix button will then be different..

If you use dual anyway, you can turn down "Level right" to zero and set "pan left" to middle or zero and then turn down "level left" to maybe under 50%, it will then be mono and a very low level delay. You can also use "Ducker Atten" in Tone/Duck -page, to cut away some of the first delays from your dry signal. Maybe about 15-20 dB will be enough or less.

Back
Top Bottom