Bug? Ares 1.0 ac30tb gain (vs af3)

edo

Power User
Vendor
I spent a couple hours A/B'ing the AF2 ac30tb vs the AF3 ac30tb, same settings, same ir, same everything, and I came to the conclusion that the af2 version might have something wrong. Specifically, turning the master volume trim down to 0.5 makes the model sound more similar to the af3 version, which is virtually identical to the real amp. So I'm assuming there is some hidden values that double the power amp gain, if that makes any sense.
I just wanted to point that out in case a newer fw with bug fixes comes out.

Hm, I like the more "powerful" AC 30 TB, but you could be right. The AC 30 TB never sounded before like this in the Axe.

Hm, I like the more "powerful" AC 30 TB, but you could be right. The AC 30 TB never sounded before like this in the Axe.

I did a similar test comparing the new AC30TB model in Ares 1.0 with my AC30 amp. and I had the same results as @edo.

In v10.01, a preset with the AC30TB block and my AC30TB, connected via the FxLoop before the amp. and cab. block, had the AC30TB model and my AC30 just on the edge of break-up. In Ares 1.0, the same preset causes the amp. model to be too over-driven compared to my AC30TB. If I turn the MV Trim down to 0.5 on the AC30TB model in Ares 1.0, the AC30TB model sounds nearly identical to my AC30TB. I did the same test with several presets and had similar results each time.

I’ve finally installed ares 1.03 and after messing with it for a few minutes I can confirm that the model sounds definitely crunchier than any of my real ac30’s (I have an early 90’s tbx, a 50th anniversary hw and a current hw2x, all with blues). Unless @FractalAudio can double check his measurements (and I totally understand if he can’t as he’s probably busy with other things), I will adjust all edosounds U2 patches accordingly.
Also, I did A/B the af2 model with the AF3 model and they are nearly identical, so i’m assuming cliff’s measurements are accurate with his vox, and probably his vox has more gain / less headroom than any of mine - unless the tubes in his are dead (hint! ), as my tbx at some point sounded dirtier for a couple days, before stopping working for dead tubes..

I’ve finally installed ares 1.03 and after messing with it for a few minutes I can confirm that the model sounds definitely crunchier than any of my real ac30’s (I have an early 90’s tbx, a 50th anniversary hw and a current hw2x, all with blues). Unless @FractalAudio can double check his measurements (and I totally understand if he can’t as he’s probably busy with other things), I will adjust all edosounds U2 patches accordingly.
Also, I did A/B the af2 model with the AF3 model and they are nearly identical, so i’m assuming cliff’s measurements are accurate with his vox, and probably his vox has more gain / less headroom than any of mine - unless the tubes in his are dead (hint! ), as my tbx at some point sounded dirtier for a couple days, before stopping working for dead tubes..

I've got an AF3, and noticed this when the revised cathode follower model was done in FW5. Seemed significantly more gainy/raspy. I've got a '67 AC30, and it doesn't sound this way. The earlier tip of turning the input trim to 0.5 was a help here.

I've got an AF3, and noticed this when the revised cathode follower model was done in FW5. Seemed significantly more gainy/raspy. I've got a '67 AC30, and it doesn't sound this way. The earlier tip of turning the input trim to 0.5 was a help here.

There was a point a couple fw's ago where the AF3 model was 99% identical to my ac30hw2 (except for the cut knob range), I'm not sure what happened since then. It's not a big deal, I don't mind to adjust all my presets, as long as the model stays like this and does not get back to "normal" gain in future fw's!

Back
Top Bottom