Are you using Ultra/Standard in 2021?

I might check into one of those boxes. The noise usually isn't that bad for me, Maybe I'm just use to it. LOL! There are times when the hum seems more present.

So when you are in 4cm, how do you add the preamp models of the Axe? If I run the amp block(poweramp sim off) in front of the effects loop block in my preset chain, doesn't that feed into the input of my Mod50?

It depends on your routing. I have a trick routing setup with some panning and the feedback blocks so that I use the fxl block to do both the Amp input feed and the fx return with fxl leaving out1 for something else like a wet feed or whatever.

The easier thing is probably to just put the fxl block in the patch to send to and return from the modular preamp and then use out1 to feed the fx return. You have to route it so you enable an Amp block while muting the fxl block and vice versa.

Thanks Chris, I'll try that. On a side note, I recently picked up a Synergy Syn30 that came with the SLO module and man I'll tell ya that module ain't goin nowhere.

I bought an AFX Ultra recently and it landed with me two days ago. After realising one of my MIDI cables was duff, I launched fully into Axe Edit yesterday.

I wanted some actual hardware primarily for jingle jangle shoegazing noisy nonsense. I had a feeling that the Megatap could replicate the classic SPX90 Reverse Gate setting. Initial tests (I have a mint SPX90 on top of the Ultra now) say I was right to think this so I'll be dialling this in over the weekend.

Getting used to how stereo is handled and there's a couple of things I need to play with, namely running mono cabs panned left and right.

Already wondering about the AFII, III, and the FM9 :)

I'd like to learn how to do more with the effects in the Ultra. I think it could pretty much be an FX construction kit with all the routing. I find the Reverb in the III to sound "better" but I don't really know how to deep dive a reverb to good success.

Chris, I feel exactly the same about the Ultra. It's a real FX playground and I'm very conscious of barely scratching the surface.

I've had a bit of a dive into the reverb today and it's very clear and very good. What I haven't found yet is the sort of gungy gunky qualities I like from rack gear like the Quadraverb, Midiverb, SPX90, that kind of thing. This is true of a lot of very good reverb plugins too, even ones designed to be gunky. There's something about older reverbs and modulation with lower sample rates and bit depth that just sound right on some things.

originally I had planned for an effects and amp setup to be entirely plugin based. That plan is over. I've got the Behringer FCB1010 with UNO chip ready, I've got the Ultra, I've got the SPX90 and an SPX50D here with me this weekend... and I've got a modded USA Big Muff. That'll do for starters.

Chris, I feel exactly the same about the Ultra. It's a real FX playground and I'm very conscious of barely scratching the surface.

I've had a bit of a dive into the reverb today and it's very clear and very good. What I haven't found yet is the sort of gungy gunky qualities I like from rack gear like the Quadraverb, Midiverb, SPX90, that kind of thing. This is true of a lot of very good reverb plugins too, even ones designed to be gunky. There's something about older reverbs and modulation with lower sample rates and bit depth that just sound right on some things.

originally I had planned for an effects and amp setup to be entirely plugin based. That plan is over. I've got the Behringer FCB1010 with UNO chip ready, I've got the Ultra, I've got the SPX90 and an SPX50D here with me this weekend... and I've got a modded USA Big Muff. That'll do for starters.

I think there are recipes to be had... Running the shunt into a mild drive block (maybe with a mix of less than 100%?) and then into the 100% wet reverb, perhaps... or vice versa...

Share back some cool recipes if you figure 'em out.

One trick I've done with one of my favourite plugins (Blue Cat Audio's MB-7) is to stick little bits of distortion onto specific bandwidths within MB-y and then stuff that into a reverb. Dunno if I can do similar with AFXU but it's worth a try. Will report back once I've had a really good session with it over the next week.

OK, good things with reverb:

-Get creative with the Multi-Delay block using the Plex Delay. Mix on 25%. 8 seconds delay time, 100% diffusion. Move to the Delays tab and time time 1 to 50, time 2 to 100, time 3 to 150, time 4 to 200. Set pan for all to 0. Go to the Mod tab, set your LFO speed and LFO depth to set the modulation rate.

-Ring modulator after this is getting so very cool sounds too..

Over the course of Sunday and Monday, I dialled in pretty much every tone I wanted from the Yamaha SPX90 and SPX50D. I had intended to keep them. Now there is no need so the money recouped from them pays for most of what I bought the Ultra for.

Megatap: great
Multi Delay: great
Chorus: great
Reverb: very clean on their own, great for combining with the Muti Delay and Megatap for odd sounds
Ring Modulator: great.

All the amps I've played with are very good. I'm not actually that much into having perfect replications of name amps. I'd rather have a good amp full stop, if that makes sense.

After this weekend just gone that means:

SPX50D out for sale
SPX90 out for sale
Sold Helix Native two days ago as it won't get used now AFX is here.
Will sell the pedals I do have.

...and I've just bought an Axe FX II from a different forum based here in the UK.

Fair to say I'm now well invested in this platform.

Who all is still/again using an Ultra or Standard in 2021?

I picked up an Ultra yesterday just to go down memory lane. I had several back in the day and upgraded as one tends to do. I only had a few minutes with it last night after driving 6 hours to get it but the initial response...

... Wow! This thing sounds killer!!

It immediately sounded great with no fuss. Its not even firmware 11- its 10.x

I'll now be trying to figure out all the tricks I've forgotten for getting the most bang out of this guy. I'm planning to use it with my tube amp rig if possible- certainly for time based effects but perhaps in front of the amp if I can get it to be quiet enough.

Who is still rolling with the original models?
Still rolling and still loving my Standard!

About a year ago I finally offered it a semi-retirement deal, which it gladly accepted. I bought a II XL, and the Standard became the rig for my guitar students. Which allowed another modeler to retire from that duty, and enjoy its golden years as a dedicated reverb-only FX unit.

Until I got the II XL I was using my Standard every day for fun and professional recording work. And it sounded awesome. In 2020.

And just today I loaded the trusty old Standard with the new York Audio IRs that I've bought since moving to the II XL. Getting Axe-o-Matic, the ancient beta Axe Edit, my MOTU MIDI interface, my Macbook, and the Standard to all play nice was my whole Saturday -- but well worth the effort. Once the York IRs were loaded, I tweaked all of the presets that my students use and WOW. This thing STILL sounds awesome. And now even more awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to record or gig with it, especially with these killer new IRs.

What incredible machines these are . . .

Over the course of Sunday and Monday, I dialled in pretty much every tone I wanted from the Yamaha SPX90 and SPX50D. I had intended to keep them. Now there is no need so the money recouped from them pays for most of what I bought the Ultra for.

Megatap: great
Multi Delay: great
Chorus: great
Reverb: very clean on their own, great for combining with the Muti Delay and Megatap for odd sounds
Ring Modulator: great.

All the amps I've played with are very good. I'm not actually that much into having perfect replications of name amps. I'd rather have a good amp full stop, if that makes sense.

After this weekend just gone that means:

SPX50D out for sale
SPX90 out for sale
Sold Helix Native two days ago as it won't get used now AFX is here.
Will sell the pedals I do have.

...and I've just bought an Axe FX II from a different forum based here in the UK.

Fair to say I'm now well invested in this platform.
Any suggestions for replicating those great Yamaha machines?

I have 2 Ultras I bought used. I also have an Atomic AA3 and an AA12 for jams/fly gigs etc.

I recently bought an AXE 3 MKII. One Ultra lives at home for daily practice, the other is at my teaching studio in my band room with a Matrix 800. The AA3 is what I use to teach with.

The Mark 2 will become my gigging setup along with a Matrix 1000 and 2 EV12Ls. For low volume gigs I can just bring one 12L. I just use a simple ADA MPC midi controller to switch patches. With 10 switches under my feet I don't really need scenes. 10 sounds is enough for any gig.
I have to say that some of the sounds coming out of the MK2 are inspiring.

That said....I'd happily gig with any of these devices.
The AA12 will be a backup for the MK 2.

I won't be selling any of this gear....it's too useful. What I did sell was a Mesa MK3 combo and a Mesa 2:50 poweramp.

I think the Ultra and the AA12 are roughly on a par modeling wise...But the ultra has still got it over the AA12 as far as FX and flexibility.

When I get around to it I'd like to try some new IRs in the Ultra ........I'm sure it has still not reached it's full potential.

Any suggestions for replicating those great Yamaha machines?

Oh, a few.... I'll throw out some ideas in the future.

I'm absolutely blown away by the Ultra. It's helped clarify exactly what I'm looking for soundwise when using the Ultra as both a guitar unit and an an effects unit with other gear and for where I want to take things now and in the future. This has meant a gear cull: out with the AXFII, sold my RME Babyface Pro FS audio interface as well, sorted out some other bits, and have pencilled in a few other things to release. Absolutely no question that the amps and distortion/overdrive pedals are better on the AFXII to the Ultra. Clear generational sonic upgrade. However I found myself liking the Ultra more. Sonically it is a bit more gnarly. All the old sounds I wanted to get, I can get. It really is the sonic element that makes the Ultra win for me. Now I can't imagine there are too many folk on this forum who rave about late 80s My Bloody Valentine or Cocteau Twins sounds but for me the Ultra really gets you into this era in one box beautifully.

So now I'm looking for a 16u rack trolley to get the Ultra into and to swap out the JBL LSR305s I have in here for something else (provisionally Mackie MR624 or the Yamaha HS7). The home tinkering rig starts here :)

12 months ago when I was gigging/rehearsing with a band (between Covid lockdowns) I was using my Ultra and it sounded great......Nothings changed. I thought it sounded great and the band thought so too.

I bought a III mk2 recently....mainly for the usb, IR slots and the extra power for future firmware updates.....none of my patches on the Ultra ever approached max dsp and it's the same for the 3/2.....Cygnus and the latest developments are bonuses.

I bought my ultra used and used it on stage for many years. I waited through many iterations of the Axe until I recently bought the 3/2.

No complaints.

I don't know about you folk....but all of these live sounds seem perfectly adequate to me.

Just to put things in perspective. This was just a jam at a rehearsal room for fun.
It sounded good at the time and felt good as well.

So I'm if if I'm now a little behind due to a few new functions/features (Turbo and room IRs) it won't affect my enjoyment of the sounds and current features.

Listening back...I'm still happy with the sounds. I am still happy to gig with the Ultra anytime.

Played on an Ibanez LR-10 with SD Antiquities.

I was working a few new ideas into my playing at the time....please excuse the slop, clams and bad phrasing.

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/21745158-axe-fx-ultra-blues-jam-front-pup

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/21745204-axe-fx-ultra-blues-jam-back-pup

Axe Fx Ultra....Fender strat Lace sensor Pups

https://www.reverbnation.com/bobmeredith/song/20370686-reverie

Les Paul with SD Antiquities

www.reverbnation.com

LIVE JAMS by Bob Meredith | ReverbNation

LIVE JAMS, a Blues album by Bob Meredith on ReverbNation

www.reverbnation.com
www.reverbnation.com

I do like things a little on the mellow side.....that's just me....not the Ultra.

cool tunes- thank you for sharing those.

My Ultra got promoted to my "daily driver" rig yesterday. It was already in that duty but it was not in the main rack. Axe-FX 3 goes to a new home and a happy new owner.

G'day Ultra Users!
How good to see this thread - It's feeling a bit like back to the future for me.

I've had my Ultra from new and also have an MFC101.
I haven't played for a few years [various reasons including a couple of house moves]
and money's tight these days so just decided to dig out the Axe-Fx and see if I can remember how to use it.

I always struggled a bit with getting the results I wanted so I'm not convinced that it's going to be any different this time.
Partly thinking maybe I'm better off selling it now and save myself some stress :)

So far I've managed to get the old girl talking to my laptop.
Firmware is v11 - which it looks like I updated in 2013 - can't remember honestly - and probably last time I used it
I'm going to reload the original preset banks and start over.

Who know, it could work out well

I started a thread on TGP to try to gather some folks who are still using first gen units but don't visit here as much because they've gotten off of the upgrade train way.

I suspect a lot of people are quietly using and loving these devices.

I'm mainly using my Ultra for effects and "convenience modeling" at the moment- it does a fantastic cleans and since I don't use those as much, I don't have to put a clean preamp in my modular tube amp.

I think the Ultra is realistic in the sense that the models behave a lot like a real amp but its not hyper-realistic such that it replicates every wart and blemish. The early documentation seemed to take some pride in the fact that the Axe-FX sought to present the best version of a particular amp flavor without any sort of design flaws. I guess the market wants something else because later products focused on extreme accuracy.

Last edited:
Was going to comment that someone else posted a similar thread somewhere, then I realized Chris posted that thread on TGP.

Still loving my Standard, even after getting the AX8, thanks to your other thread. I typically leave different guitars plugged into each, which makes it easier to swap, such as between 7- and 6-string guitars.

I started a thread on TGP to try to gather some folks who are still using first gen units but don't visit here as much because they've gotten off of the upgrade train way.

I suspect a lot of people are quietly using and loving these devices.

I'm mainly using my Ultra for effects and "convenience modeling" at the moment- it does a fantastic cleans and since I don't use those as much, I don't have to put a clean preamp in my modular tube amp.

I think the Ultra is realistic in the sense that the models behave a lot like a real amp but its not hyper-realistic such that it replicates every wart and blemish. The early documentation seemed to take some pride in the fact that the Axe-FX sought to present the best version of a particular amp flavor without any sort of design flaws. I guess the marker wants something else because later products focused on extreme accuracy.
Something along those lines Chris. I think the 1st Axe Fx units were game-changers but I expect they were also limited by the processing power available at the time. Hyper-realistic probably wasn't affordable or maybe even possible at that point in time and compared to other digital products available then, the Axe Fx was way ahead of anything I had heard. Expectations these days are unbelievably high in everything. I haven't had much spare time to get back into using mine but going through Yek's patches etc. when I can is great. I'm enjoying it. 99.99% sure I'll never get the chance to compare it to the later gear but once I get set up again I think the Ultra will be all I need

Back
Top Bottom