Are you tired of FRFR?

Thought I was... just hooked up my power amp and 2 boogie 4x12's and guess what... I'm not. I much now prefer the FRFR to my cabs.

Why is suggesting FW11 "bad" advice or have anything to do with putting down the OP's programming skills ?

I found as soon as I d/l'd fw11b that I felt I was getting a lot more of an "amp in room" feeling out of my monitors. I had the KPA as well and went back and forth with which to keep, Axe had features, KPA sounded a little more dynamic and like a real amp, ended up sticking with the Axe and then I tried 11 and everything I thought I was missing before was no longer an issue. It was the missing link, as I think Cliff put it. Now playing a DR patch through my monitors sounds and feels quite like when I had a real DRRI sitting in the room with me.

So my advice for anyone feeling they are missing out a little of the "realness" you may get form a cab in the room, is give 11 a try if you haven't already.

I saw that with no disrespect for anyones talent and I'm sure you've all tweaked your respective FW to its fullest, but just feel 11 will take you one step further.

What was already very good will be even better. What maybe was missing before, suddenly will fall into place
I didn't say suggest fw11 had anything to do with programming skills. I just made a joke at what is somewhat commonplace around here, which is to insult someone instead of giving help.

OK, so to further this discussion....

I am using some very nice gear...

Andersen S
Matrix GT1000FX
One of the big three FRFR 1x12 cabs.

I have been playing for a very long time, I have and do gig live and studio record, most smaller venues these days as "I ain't as good as I once was, But I'm as good once as I ever was". I play country, blues/rock and jazz with a bunch of finger style acoustic thrown in. I am a professional.

I guess perhaps part of the MOJO I am seeking is also the "feel" of the experience.
As far as FR vs FRFR, I can't say.....as I am not sure where the line is drawn.

So, maybe I will grab my rig, head over to GC and shred some traditional cabs and see how it "feels".
Or, perhaps I need a vacation with a Corona and lime. :)

I didn't say suggest fw11 had anything to do with programming skills. I just made a joke at what is somewhat commonplace around here, which is to insult someone instead of giving help.

No offense taken. Actually, you make me chuckle and I needed that this afternoon.

Jake

Ive switched from a 2/50/2 tubes to a Matrix gt1000fx... but uses a guitarcab - VHT 212 delivarance speaker cab. The effects, cleans & dist rytm is great with the matrix, but I hav`nt - for now - got the same "compressed spine lead "scream" tone - with the matrix as I could with the tube poweramp. it may be a tweeking aspect - not sure.

As far as FR vs FRFR, I can't say.....as I am not sure where the line is drawn.

FR = Full Range
FRFRF = Full Range Flat Response

example:
FR = Mackie 450
FRFR = Atomic CLR

I suggest that the use of the term "FR" will only create confusion. The Mackie 450 for example, is designed to be full range and flat response. The manufacturer notes on their website that the SRM450v2 uses "Active Electronic time alignment, phase correction and EQ for studio quality sound". It is FRFR, although it may arguably be a poor example of that. Let's simply call it what it is, a relatively inexpensive FRFR system that may, or may not, satisfy your needs.

Other than a traditional guitar cabinet, the other type of speaker that the OP may be interested in is an "extended response guitar cabinet", such as the Matrix NL-12. This cabinet is purposefully coloured such that it can produce pleasing tones with the Axe-FX without using the Cab block. It also has a wider frequency response than a typical guitar cabinet and can produce pleasing results when Axe Cab IR's are used.

Terry.

Ive switched from a 2/50/2 tubes to a Matrix gt1000fx... but uses a guitarcab - VHT 212 delivarance speaker cab. The effects, cleans & dist rytm is great with the matrix, but I hav`nt - for now - got the same "compressed spine lead "scream" tone - with the matrix as I could with the tube poweramp. it may be a tweeking aspect - not sure.
how do you like the P-50's in tht deliverance cab?
try KT-77's in one channel, the blend with the El-34's is ....................awesome :)

My best bet is: I never take only one monitor and put it in front of me and let it blow in my face. I can play like that, sure, but it's cold, naked, hard and it can't fill the room. I don't like that at all.
When I take only one mon with me, I place it behind me and crank it up, so I get enough highs. When I want additional highs into my face, I add another monitor but I never, never, never take the mon in my back away, this is the one that fills the room and adds that typical feeling.

Reactions: sam
I have been using FRFR since the 80s and I love it. I have been using beta 11 and man I absolutely had it sounding great today. I was jamming with the princeton amp and man it sounded great and the way it cleans up with the volume pot is so awesome. I have some different presets I really enjoy and you just couldn't do the dame thing with an amp. I think you just need to spend some time honing in on your sound. I'm not sure what type of guitar sound your after but I have three amps I have been loving and a few different cabs. I really hope you don't give up on the Axe, what kind of speakers are you using now? I have the Mackie HD1221s and I'm loving them.

I use both SS pwr amp -> guitar cab and the CLR's with the AxeFx II.

They each have their pluses and minuses.

I also use regular old tube amps and pedals too.

I'm lucky enough to afford it and each type of rig has its place for me.

Right now, any of the three rigs I can gig with. The differences in tone and feel are really getting minor. And I include 10.12 not just 11b in that.

The new mix IR's from Fractal really closed the gap for me. Looking forward to more of these types from Fractal and Ownhammer.

B S.....Joke my ass, nice try. You took a poke at me canada, remember your comment?

"Real helpful! Maybe now tell him he doesn't know how to create patches as well?"

but I can take it. I can give it too.

I was "suggesting" the OP try V11. Probably the best advice so far..What have you offered?

Carry on.

Last edited:
B S.....Joke my ass, nice try. You took a poke at me canada, remember your comment?

but I can take it. I can give it too.

I was "suggesting" the OP try V11. Probably the best advice so far..What have you offered?

Carry on.

Canada, what's that supposed to mean? Try taking this a little less personal. I didn't offer any advice, never said I did. And where I come from a joke, and poking fun ,are the same thing. Relax.

2) Quality of your IR's. There is so much development here coming (Own Hammer) or just here (Fractal's Mix IR's) that I won't belabor it. But your Cab block is *just* as important - if not more (believe it or not) - than your amp block in the FRFR world.
Very true. The IRs were behind - IMHO - the development of everything else. For the last few months the focus has been on bettering the IRs and the IRs are the missing link in the chain if you've got everything else set to "GO" (ie: well made patches, good FRFR set up, knowing your gear, and knowing what tone you're after). The CLRs made a huge difference for me in bridging the "gap" of what many threads have been discussing which is the "missing feel" link. Solid FRFR monitors and some highly developed IRs? They'll be the bomb.

I have found so far that two FRFR speakers instead of one sounds and feels almost twice as good. Maybe you're just getting sick of hearing yourself through one little speaker?

No, not at all. Why would I be tired of carrying around two cabs weighing about 57lbs for the pair and producing a greater sonic palette than any quad box?

how do you like the P-50's in tht deliverance cab?
try KT-77's in one channel, the blend with the El-34's is ....................awesome :)
FWIW, my prior set up was the Fryette 2/90/2 through a D412. I loved it - but wasn't able to capitalize on the cab block or poweramp block as much as I'd have liked to. Sounded good on low volumes; sounded horrible turned up. But this is no 'dis' to the Fryette lineage of gear - it's probably some of my fave stuff currently out there. Just wasn't perfect for "me" and "my" Fractal pursuits.

Back
Top Bottom