Are you successfully using your AX8 via s/pdif?

are using AX8 out to your audio card in?
do you get any sound with your DAW not running?

With AX8 output 1 connected into Saffire input 1 (XLR), using direct monitoring on my interface I do get sound without my DAW running. I can also monitor/record on the DAW.
With AX8 s/pdif out connected into Saffire s/pdif input I don't have sound either thru direct monitoring or on my DAW. The channel is complete silent with absolutely no movement on the vu meters.

I can't help any further then.

All I know is that with my old presonus I always struggled to make the spdif sync with the Ax8, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't and I had to disable the interface, restart PC and re-enable it.

My new roland quad capture works flawlessly instead.

Thanks anyway!

The weird thing is it seems to sync, but there's no sound. If I choose any sample rate other than 48k and try to sync I get an error. But using 48k the control panel shows like it's in sync but I don't get any sound.

With AX8 output 1 connected into Saffire input 1 (XLR), using direct monitoring on my interface I do get sound without my DAW running. I can also monitor/record on the DAW.
With AX8 s/pdif out connected into Saffire s/pdif input I don't have sound either thru direct monitoring or on my DAW. The channel is complete silent with absolutely no movement on the vu meters.
try different inputs on your Daw,try another spdif cable,i have the Scarlett 6i6 and zero issues using spdif,also try with another DAW

I don't know the Nuendo and Reaper setups but check if the channel should be set to a specific input channel for SPDIF, this is for example needed for Logic (and Saffires.) Took me a while to get input this way from a turntable with SPDIF output.

I don't know the Nuendo and Reaper setups but check if the channel should be set to a specific input channel for SPDIF, this is for example needed for Logic (and Saffires.) Took me a while to get input this way from a turntable with SPDIF output.

Yep - same for Tracktion. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with Audacity.

Yep - same for Tracktion. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with Audacity.

Spdif are inputs 5 & 6 on my audio interface. SaffireControl shows vu meters for all channels anyway and I'm not seeing any activity on any channel...

Anyone with Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) noticed a huge volume difference between analog/xlr and spdif output?

Despite having managed to hear both AX8 (spdif out) and pc sounds (backing tracks) on my monitors I noticed that volume level is way lower when using digital output instead of the analog one.

When I was using xlr outs on AX8 the OUT1 volume knob was only around 9-10 o'clock but with SPDIF output I have to set it to 100% and volume level is nowhere near the xlr one.

Is it correct/normal?

Anyone with Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) noticed a huge volume difference between analog/xlr and spdif output?

Despite having managed to hear both AX8 (spdif out) and pc sounds (backing tracks) on my monitors I noticed that volume level is way lower when using digital output instead of the analog one.

When I was using xlr outs on AX8 the OUT1 volume knob was only around 9-10 o'clock but with SPDIF output I have to set it to 100% and volume level is nowhere near the xlr one.

Is it correct/normal?
Yes this is correct (normal). I have the Scarlett 6i6. When using XLR, you are using the pre-amp (gain) on the Scarlett to boost the signal from the AX8, using S/PDIF you are taking the direct digital signal from the AX8 straight to your DAW via the 6i6.

Hope this helps.

Did some more troubleshooting just to be sure. My findings??? My FOCUSRITE 18i20 2nd Gen and my AX8 absolutely hates each other on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

No matter what I do, there's no power on this planet that can make the two of them lock via S/PDIF. Already mentioned that I have an AVID Mbox 3rd Gen laying around (while it sells) and the AX8 locks just fine with it. Also shot an e-mail to the guys at Focusrite to check out any possible step I might have overlooked and... nothing. Also tried some combinations and got this:

AX8 -> Mbox = LOCKING
AX8 -> 18i20 = NOT LOCKING

Mbox -> 18i20 = LOCKING
18i20 -> Mbox = LOCKING

Might as well try AX8 into Mbox into 18i20 just for the sake of it but only have 1 coaxial cable ATM...

A little heads up for guys using/interested in Focusrite: There's a new Generation 3, it came out just a few days ago. Maybe I'll end up selling my 2nd Gen 18i20 and buy a new Gen 3, not because of this S/PDIF issue as they made a few changes that got me interested too...

Been running SPDIF for a year now. No problems with connectivity at all. I’m just done with having to set my interface to 48k and constantly setting my pc to the correct sound card. So I’m now running conventional out and recording guitar mono track again. It’s just easier for me.

I'm using it with an Audient iD22 in Reason. The Audient only has Optical S/PDIF so I'm using an el cheapo coax to opto adapter from Amazon.

Of course it has to work in 48kHz, which Reason doesn't mind staying on, and the Audient switches to internal clock automatically when the AX8 isn't on.

I've switched to using S/PDIF for several reasons: 1) it frees up the only two analog inputs on my interface so I don't have to unplug my mic to do guitar tracking. 2) it opens up the possibility of reamping on my otherwise 2-channel interface. 3) lower noise floor. Even with Apogee preamps (I haven't tried the Audient preamps with the AX8), there was a faint but non-zero amount of noise floor even with the AX8 output all the way down. I chalk that up to the cables and the extra AD-DA conversion. With S/PDIF, the AX8 is the final destination for any analog signal.

This is exactly the type of set up I'm planning to have (except I'm getting an iD14), so glad to hear the Audient works well using SPDIF through Reason! Have you tried to do any reamping with this setup at all? Not a huge thing if it doesn't but it'd be nice to know if it's worked for someone else.

This is exactly the type of set up I'm planning to have (except I'm getting an iD14), so glad to hear the Audient works well using SPDIF through Reason! Have you tried to do any reamping with this setup at all? Not a huge thing if it doesn't but it'd be nice to know if it's worked for someone else.

I rarely do reamping, because tone always ends up perfect, it’s my performance that needs retakes haha!

I’ve done it a couple times and it works, but the setup isn’t as easy as the rack Axe Fx. If the AX8 had a digital in it would be super easy. As it is, just treat it like you have an amp and an interface with multiple I/Os.

Yes, working great with Reaper and Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL. But, seems a little less than dynamic compared to regular outs...will have to troubleshoot. Yes, I know this is an old thread, so fuc7 off.

I use an Audient ID4, Lindy SPDIF Optical/Coax adapter and Reaper.
Works like a charm (after I have set up my windows soundcard to 24 Bit/48 kHz and fixed set it to 48 kHz in the Audient software).

Well, too bad... Anyways, thank you @Bakerman I do remember you from the golden years of the Petrucci Forum :)

Good thing I've already listed my 18i20 (along some other items) for sale so I can fund an AFX III.

Back
Top Bottom