Are you successfully using your AX8 via s/pdif?

Seems like we're at an impasse with this... Most devices work with the AX8's spdif, some don't. Strangely, it seems like even within the same brand, some do and some don't, like the Scarlett 18i20 that seems to be pretty much incompatible. And alas, my Komplete Audio 6 falls into that category too, which is a bummer cause I specifically got it so I could have that extra channel 5 & 6 to hook up the AX8.

For whoever is interested in getting an interface and using the spdif with their AX8, I thought I'd summarize this thread here. Not a complete list obviously, but the findings of this thread so far. EDIT: I do want to stress that these are isolated experiences from users on this thread, and you may get different results on your system (I'll update this list if anyone else posts their findings):

Reported to work with s/pdif:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
MOTU Ultra Lite
MOTU 828Mk2
ESI - U24 XL
SPL Crimson
UAD Apollo 8
UAD Apollo Twin
Behringer FCA1616
Presonus Firestudio Mobile
Presonus Studio 192
Mbox Pro 3
Apogee Ensemble
Audient iD22 (with coax to opto adapter)
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (on Windows)

Potentially problematic:
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 (on Mac)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

thank you for this post.

thank you for this post.

Quick update from my end: I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and it's been smooth sailing with s/pdif and my AX8! Just worked right out of the box. This means I can have the digital inputs (5&6) dedicated to my AX8, and have 4 inputs available for anything else, like I meant to with the Komplete Audio 6. That one is going on eBay, obviously :)

I have a 6i6 and have spdif issues. Only works if I make sure to set the project settings audio I’m Logic to 48 kHz, every single time I open Logic. So it works, but not plug n play, and it took me like an hour of noodling around to figure it out.

I have a 6i6 and have spdif issues. Only works if I make sure to set the project settings audio I’m Logic to 48 kHz, every single time I open Logic. So it works, but not plug n play, and it took me like an hour of noodling around to figure it out.

That's in fact correct. AX8 s/pdif output is fixed at 48k, so your DAW has to match that. I work at 48k anyway, and just have templates set up (in Pro Tools in my case, but same idea) that are at the correct sample rate. Would be nice if all that happened automatically of course, but after my experience with the Komplete Audio 6, I'm ecstatic it works at all :)

The only reason I'm using the SPDIF interface is because it just requires a single cable. Other than that I tend to agree it's not worth the pain.

The only reason I'm using the SPDIF interface is because it just requires a single cable. Other than that I tend to agree it's not worth the pain.
so there is not sound different connecting the AX8 with spdif,xrl or trs?

im using a toneport ux1 but Chris(mod from this forum)that the toneport ux1 color the tone.

Last edited:
so there is not sound different connecting the AX8 with spdif,xrl or trs?

I don't hear any difference which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As long as you're using decent cables and audio interfaces you should be ok. Laptop/PC on-board sound devices don't belong to this category.

For the record (pun intended): I recently bought the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 despite the problems some reported here. I do not have any problems at all with SP/DIF. I´m on an older Asus-laptop running W10 Pro 64 bit and Presonus Studio 1 Pro.
I also compared recording my guitar via SP/DIF vs. analog I/O. I cannot hear a difference.

No issues with audiobox 1818 or eleven rack. Two things you must do is make sure you are at 48k and clock is set to spdif otherwise no troubles

Kind of related but could someone run me thru the process of hooking up SPDIF plz?
I have the Focusrite 18i20 gen 2 AI and am thinking that it cant be too difficult!

I have connected a cable from AX8 to SPDIF in on AI. On the Focusrite Control Output Routing panel I've added the SPDIF L-R hardware input. In the Device Settings I've set sample rate to 48kHz and clock source to Internal. The Sync Status says Locked.
All I get is some intermittent popping sound.

Any ideas?
The pops are probably coming from the clock sync. Set the clock to spdif not internal.

Spdif cable should be out of ax8 and run to input of spdif on your interface. Then you either need to run a daw or use monitoring on your interface if you have it. On daw add a stereo track with input as spdif left and right or could be called digital left and right. Make sure sesssis is at 48k sampling rate. Arm track and turn input monitoring on.

What type of cable/adapters are you guys using to connect the AX8 to your audio interface via spdif?

The AX8 connector is a cinch-like shape and the audio interface has the regular optical shape.

You need digital coaxial input on your interface. Also the master clock ***must*** be configured as external to avoid frequent *pop*.

What type of cable/adapters are you guys using to connect the AX8 to your audio interface via spdif?

The AX8 connector is a cinch-like shape and the audio interface has the regular optical shape.

As mentioned in post 5 I’m using a cheap coax to optical converter. I bought it on Amazon for like $12 and it’s been working for over a year.

When buying the converter, you have to make sure it is specifically SPDIF coax input, optical output. It’s much more common to find coax/optical input, analog output.

I finally got Logic working with the Focusrite 6i6 S/PDIF
plug your RCA cable from the Ax8 s/pdif output to the FR 6i6 S/pdif marked input.
1) in Focusrite control>device settings:
clock source to S/PDIF.
2) go to your DAW (I use logic) > file > project settings> audio
set it to 48 KHZ. If your FR control is open and the synch light is green - it'll change the sample rate to 48k automatically.

go to Logic - open a new audio track and change the input to input 5 or 6 (or click stereo in the track to get signal from 5-6)
play your guitar... You'll see both your logic meter and your hardware input for S/pdif 1-2, Monitor inputs see the signal.
Record something in Logic - amazing it works. I had the guy from Focusrite on remote viewer to my Mac and he didn't know how to fix this. I read something about this in this forum and so I wanted to give a step by step focus.

My logic version is 10.4.1 and changing the sample rate did not affect the playback of already recorded tracks that were done at 44.1 KHZ - so that's good!

Can confirm that using a Zoom U-44 with SPDIF gives no issues at all.
I was eyeing the same interface these days but I've been holding on the purchase cuz I had a doubt: does direct monitoring lets you hear the spdif input too?

I was eyeing the same interface these days but I've been holding on the purchase cuz I had a doubt: does direct monitoring lets you hear the spdif input too?

I've only been listening via headphones, but I have it connected to PC via USB. There is a dial on the U44 that allows you to mix the direct monitoring of the AX8 with the DAW / PC stuff, which is perfect for backing tracks.

Much easier to use than the 6i6 I purchased yesterday, and which has now been returned....!

I've only been listening via headphones, but I have it connected to PC via USB. There is a dial on the U44 that allows you to mix the direct monitoring of the AX8 with the DAW / PC stuff, which is perfect for backing tracks.

Much easier to use than the 6i6 I purchased yesterday, and which has now been returned....!
Great, thanks for the info! ;)
Now I have to decide between this and a b-stock Roland Quad Capture for about the same price.

Ive just picked up one of these Zoom U44s in gear4music sale (£80). I can get it to work with AX8 SPDIF in standalone mode (so I can use it as a headphone amp), but cant get SPDIF sync when its working as either a PC or ipad soundcard. I suspect its a bit rate issue (48k AX8 vs 44k PC and ipad default). What are you setting on your PC to get the AX8 SPDIF and PC both working?

Back
Top Bottom