ARE YOU A OPEN MINDED GUITARIST? 100%?

axecellent

Inspired
Hey people...one thing I've noticed is I never met a guitarists in my life that was 100% open to try any type of music... do you consider yourself like this....
I've always liked/ try to listen to all genres of music...I can 100% say that i'm open minded when it comes to music...
cheers! Most can't!

I find the more "seasoned" I become the less critical of new or different things including music. I think what makes me appreciate many types of music is if it feels real to me and not contrived. Nickelback notwithstanding. Lol

I'm open minded to raw talent, especially exceptional guitar work and playing skills, in any genre.
Does that mean I like, should listen to or should want to play hip hop, country and opera just because.....NO.
Life is too short. I listen to and want to play what moves me in my bones at some level.....end of story.

Yeah, I think I am. That doesn't mean that I listen to all music the same or that I don't have my favorites. I love jazz, but I listen to rock, funk, blues -Chicago blues, delta blues, jazz blues, R&B, country, shred, classical (REAL classical of Beethoven and Prokofiev), out there classical, javanese and gamelan, bluegrass, modern pop, older pop, tin pan alley, hip hop. I haven't heard a music I can't find something to like or admire. I have to find new ways to listen and appreciate though. I can't listen to a straight ahead jazz song the same way I might listen to a hip hop song, or a country tune.

I like all sorts of different music. Some genres more than others.

I've been listening to a lot of Steve Morse, lately and that led me to listening to country and bluegrass via YouTube. Now at one time Country didn't appeal much to me and probably the Divorce or the dog is dead country vocal stuff still doesn't but there are some brilliant musicians past and present in that field.

Classical, jazz, rock, blues, improv etc etc I like lots. Not always guitar though.

Lots of types, but not all. Personally, don't see why it's a good thing to embrace all kinds of music equally. Not sure that it's something to be proud of, but each to their own.

Reactions: DNW
Country music, in general, hurts my ears, though I am certain many country axe slingers are amazing and yet, I am a huge fan of Steve Morse. It seems that when he plays geetar using his country style influences, it doesn't really sound like country anymore...maybe it's the vocals that hurt my ears, not sure...

I must admit, as I get older, I have certainly expanded my musical interests materially, looking back on the days when Heavy Metal was all there was of interest, those days are far behind...I am still a Metal Head at heart though...

Jean.

I think it's something to be proud of and I've worked very hard to be able truthfully say that I like all forms of music. It didn't come naturally or easily. All kinds of people like all kinds of music. It's like being willing to like and appreciate all kinds of people.

I honestly don't believe anyone is 100% open minded to anything. We all have our likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with that. What I've found with musicians is that closed-mindedness tends to be more among the younger players and tends to be more prevalent with people that listen to certain genres.

Not sure I can claim 100 percent of anything, but I like a broad range of music.

I don't begrudge folks who have narrow tastes though. I will say guitarists seem to be a finnicky bunch in general though :) Maybe because its a folk instrument?

no......I don't like hobbist DJs.....mmh, eh.....wait, sure I am - those are not musicians, this is not music...so, yeah - chime me in (sorry, couldn't resist...don't hate)

I'm not cut out to play all kinds of music nor do I like all kinds of music. I know what I like and what I don't and that is what makes me me, freedom of choice is a great thing to have.

Any music that has nice guitars with appealing melodies are welcome here. I guess I am partially open minded. We all have our own taste and definition of what is pleasing and what is annoying.

I don't mind music from any styles and genres....as long as it meets my musical criterias 8) It may be hard, soft, old, new or anything in between. Core musicality has no genre borders.

It must tickle my musical sensors. It must somehow surprise me, or not be obvious (be it harmonically, rhytmically, arrangement etc). It must be well performed.

That'll exclude any overly conservative, repetitive and obvious styles of music :razz

Yep. I've recorded and listen to a lot of styles, and something that's struck me is that the intention behind the music is important..... to me anyway. I had more fun recording a 45 minute drone session than doing pop tune work because the artists involved were more invested and passionate about the project than the pop work.

On a personal level, I've played and taught a lot of styles, from Miles Davis to Meshuggah, Chillis to Coldplay, and I've been more inspired by a passionate cover of a Coldplay song than many other 'cool' or 'good' music, again, because the person playing the song was invested in it. Over the last fifteen years I've had more inspirational moments courtesy of Eminem than Satch, or Vai.

If it moves me, it moves me. If it doesn't, there's no amount of telling me that it's worth my attention will make me like it. Sure, I can appreciate guitar gymnastics as much as anyone else, but that doesn't make it inspiring. In fact, in a lot of cases, it can ruin a song.

I started to play music at an early age because I liked the sounds I could make, liked the fact that I was responsible for them, and because I wanted to play the songs that I liked. This has led me to play all the genres I've found interesting, and none of the ones that I haven't.

In short, it's an old quote, but a good one: "It's good to be open minded, but no so open minded as your brains fall out."

Back
Top Bottom