ARE YOU A OPEN MINDED GUITARIST? 100%?

I'm not 100% open minded simply because I just can't wrap Rap & Hip Hop around my head, It just irks me. Kinda like Disco that never died.
I have friends that goof on me because I like to listen to stuff they never would. Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, Celine Dion, Air Supply, Ambrosia, Bee Gees, Belinda Carlisle, David Foster, Gino Vanelli, Kenny Loggins, Kelly Clarkson, Peebo Bryson, James Ingram, Richard Marx, Whitney Houston, Robyn,..
And I'm mostly a hard rock guy. I learned a lot of Blues, flamenco, classical, finger style, jazz, folk, country and pop at a young age.

Later in life I revisited a style of music I did not take to at the time it came out. 80's New Wave, I figured I'd listen to playlists of that as a form of Anger management! It worked and I found I like a lot of that genre, not to play but to listen to when the mood hits me.

Nope, and I wouldn't want to be either. I like a heck of a lot of styles of music, and I already try to incorporate as many of those into our bands sound as it is. I already have to place imaginary borders on myself when I write a song, otherwise the song gets a bit incoherent.

I would interpret a statement "I like all kinds of music equally" as "I don't have any taste". Everyone has his preferences, which are based on experience. If you where 100% open minded at the very beginning, this "percentage" should drop with your experience.

I would interpret a statement "I like all kinds of music equally" as "I don't have any taste". Everyone has his preferences, which are based on experience. If you where 100% open minded at the very beginning, this "percentage" should drop with your experience.

But that's not the question and that's not what open minded means. The question was
"I've always liked/ try to listen to all genres of music...I can 100% say that i'm open minded when it comes to music... cheers! Most can't!"
That applies to me, yet as I said earlier, most music in those genres isn't very good. But there isn't a genre or STYLE of music I detest or dislike and I will certainly be open, and have been, to play anything anyone asks me to try. It doesn't mean you have no taste

I think being "open minded" comes down to knowing the difference between:

"I don't like band x."
and
"Band x is the worst crap to ever be crapped."

So many people seem to feel that it's essential to attempt to validate their taste by making it seem like they've derived it from some objective source, rather than accepting that it's just an opinion that they hold that is completely subjective and, in all likelihood, completely arbitrary.

I feel I try to be open minded. but..

Not sure what Nicki Minaj is making these days, but I don't like it. Anaconda?? eewww.. Most of the parodies are way better.

When watching IMGL, the Jimmy Page I saw was not the same chap I saw 40 years ago.
How is he different? Older, wiser, not so technically good, but seemed to play with more feeling. Awesome.

Jack White today VS. 40 years from now? Probably quite a bit different style and sound.
Listening to Jack talk about having to fight with the instrument, or maybe not having an instrument
that makes sweet tones, but an playing instrument sounds like it's hurt was interesting. Good points..
In some ways kinda reminded me a bit of Kurt Cobain a few years back. Wanted the pawnshop guitars, cheap, he could bust them up, sounded
unhealthy, just what he wanted.

Was interesting to see both Edge and Jack watch Jimmy jam. Both were loving it and happy if they were not getting paid.

Not sure about Miles Davis stuff.. Not that I don't like it; I don't understand it. Too complex for my musically uneducated mind.
Megadeath. Too many notes too fast. Like driving my motorcycle at 150mph. I am missing the ride and worrying about what I might hit. Cool for about 60 sec.

Loved John Denver, Johnny Cash, The Knack, Eagles, Beatles, Stones. Love it all. Monkeys? too much sugar I think.. :)

Last edited:
I think being "open minded" comes down to knowing the difference between:

"I don't like band x."
and
"Band x is the worst crap to ever be crapped."

So many people seem to feel that it's essential to attempt to validate their taste by making it seem like they've derived it from some objective source, rather than accepting that it's just an opinion that they hold that is completely subjective and, in all likelihood, completely arbitrary.
Yeah, yeah cool. I don't think not liking a BAND means you're not open minded. That's different, from the way I'm looking at it. But for someone to say, "I don't like rock music." That's being close minded. That's closing oneself off from a whole genre. Not liking Miles Davis is different from saying I don't like jazz at all. I don't particularly like Buck Owens, but that isn't saying I don't like country music. I've listened to a lot of country I like. I can not like an artist, but kind find some other artists in the same general style I can enjoy or get something from.

Last edited:
I often find difficult to talk about music. I think you can, but it might take some time and some serious interrest before you understand each other a bit more.

For me, inside myself I can easily "say" I don't like rock and pop and it's true. But I know it's not full truth.

When our former drummer at (the wrong) times would lay down a 4 on 4 beat on the kick drum just to keep the pulse I could get crazy and tell him it's sound stiff and plain boring. The full truth isn't that I allways despise that. But it would take a lot more time to learn when (a person feels) it is the right thing for the piece or the moment.

Yeah, yeah cool. I don't think not liking a BAND means you're not open minded. That's different, from the way I'm looking at it. But for someone to say, "I don't like rock music." That's being close minded. That's closing oneself off from a whole genre. Not liking Miles Davis is different from saying I don't like jazz at all. I don't particularly like Buck Owens, but that isn't saying I don't like country music. I've listened to a lot of country I like. I can not like an artist, but kind find some other artists in the same general style I can enjoy or get something from.

Eh. I don't necessarily agree, and there may be a portion of that that's just down to a difference in how we think of terminology.

I don't think not liking a genre means that the person is closed minded. Not giving a genre a chance does. When I hear, "I don't like genre X" I would like to be able to assume the person has sampled what the genre has to offer; I know that's not the case, but then we're talking about the inaccurate ways in which people communicate what they actually mean again.

Well it comes down to those people knowing the definitions of those words they're using. The only way accurately communicate is to have confidence in knowing the meaning of the words being spoken.

If a person has heard only a few songs in a genre and has determined that genre sucks based on that they haven't given it a chance before condemning it forever. Can we say that's not very open minded? Nothing's particularly wrong with not being open minded. But it may however close you off from experiencing a lot of great music.

Well it comes down to those people knowing the definitions of those words they're using. The only way accurately communicate is to have confidence in knowing the meaning of the words being spoken.

If a person has heard only a few songs in a genre and has determined that genre sucks based on that they haven't given it a chance before condemning it forever. Can we say that's not very open minded? Nothing's particularly wrong with not being open minded. But it may however close you off from experiencing a lot of great music.

I agree 100%

Generally, although I certainly wouldn't say 100%. I mean, if someone asks if I like hip hop, I'll say no. Coz from everything I've heard, no I don't. If I happen to hear some one day that I actually don't mind though... I'll listen to it. Whatever, I'll listen to whatever I happen to like. If it's jazz, or prog rock, or pop, or metal, or traditional music from some country I couldn't even point out on a map... whatever.

A friend of mine for years seemed to just refuse to accept that I'm not a big death metal fan, and just plain don't like black metal. So every time we'd catch up, he'd want to show me the latest whatever black metal album coz, "I reckon you'll like it." So I'd listen, and every time... no. So again, if someone asks if I like black metal... no, no I really don't. If I happen to hear something that I like one day, and it happens to be black metal... sure, I'll listen to it. But I'll still say I don't like black metal, because 99.9% of the time that's the case, and generally I'll just stay away from it. And I'm not going to make myself keep trying to listen to things that just about all previous experience has told me I'm not going to like when there's so much stuff out there that I haven't heard and I'm much more likely to actually enjoy.

On the other hand, even artists I'd consider my favourites have put out stuff I don't like. I'm not going to make myself listen to it just because I've liked all their other stuff. Whether I like something or not, I don't really care who did it and what style it is.

I really don't like hip hop though. :|

And it's hard to define accurately amidst such a huge spectrum. I don't think music can really be defined with our small, human vocabulary. We try, and at best we come up with incredibly broad categories and subcategories whose boundaries are completely arbitrary and superfluous.

This is an interesting thread. I don't know how to measure my "openmindedness".
I like good music. I don't really consider the genre in the equation. Not at all really. To me, that is a bit like (and pardon me for this) deciding if I am going to like a person based on their nationality or race or some other bigoted factor. (not to be political. sorry again).

I wasn't always like this though. I used to dislike country... before i even heard the song. It was just an attitude because I was a rocker. I don't feel that way anymore. In fact, I grew up on country (OLD country) and maybe that's why I rebelled against it. Who knows. But... there is plenty of country I don't like. But it's not BECAUSE it's country. Make sense? I either like it or I don't.

Best quote I ever read about music is "People don't know what they like, they like what they know." Read the book "Your Brain on Music". Very educational in that regard about how musical patterns are learned by the brain, and how the brain will seek familiarity. Kind of explains musical styles of different cultures and why you like or dislike them.

My Iphone has:
The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Ted Nugent, Killswitch Engage, Roy Clark, Jim Croche, Jack Johnson, James Taylor, Beyonce, Christina Agulara, Billy Joel, Shadows Fall, Bob James, David Sandborn, Black Label Society, Bruno Mars, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Billy Idol, Buffalo Springfield, Bullet for My Valentine, The Cars, Chris Cagle, The Crystal Method, Duran Duran, Dream Theater, LMFAO, Funkadelic, Fishbone, Garth Brooks, Jason Aldean, Simple Minds.... and hundreds more.

Rap, Country, Metal, Pop, Classical, Classic Rock, R&B, Motown, House, Traditional Japanese freaking flutes... I like crap all over the place.

But... I don't dig Indian music much... or Kpop, or Salsa. Or Poison. And I don't like the Offspring. Just hate that band. Or DragonForce. I don't care how fast they play... Dragonforce just sucks ass. But I love Avenged Sevenfold. So... am I open minded? I think so. But I like what I like. Not what you like.

Back
Top Bottom