ARE YOU A OPEN MINDED GUITARIST? 100%?

No absolutes for me either, good vs. bad.

And there is music I enjoy and music I do not enjoy.

But I still try to stay open-minded and would not criticize what someone else likes / dislikes.

So for me, being open-minded in no way implies you love every single piece of music that exists.

There's a german saying: „Jemand, der für alles offen ist, ist nicht ganz dicht.“
My rough translation: "Someone whose mind is open to anything, is out of his mind."

While there's some truth to it if "anything" really refers to anything, I disagree when it comes to music. It can't be bad to have the "widest horizon" possible regarding music.

Hey people...one thing I've noticed is I never met a guitarists in my life that was 100% open to try any type of music... do you consider yourself like this....
I've always liked/ try to listen to all genres of music...I can 100% say that i'm open minded when it comes to music...
cheers! Most can't!
I can, I love to play anything as long as it is musical and GOOD. Classical, Folk, Shred, Metal, It all comes from the same place just in a different way.

A monk asked the master, "Does a dog have Buddha-nature, yes or no?"

The master replied, "If you say yes or no, you lose your own Buddha-nature."

No absolutes for me either, good vs. bad.

And there is music I enjoy and music I do not enjoy.

But I still try to stay open-minded and would not criticize what someone else likes / dislikes.

So for me, being open-minded in no way implies you love every single piece of music that exists.

I agree with this, but look at it from a different (possibly more pessimistic) angle:
I think there is a diffinative good/bad music, but what meets the criteria for each (and what that criteria actually is) is entirely up to the listener of said music.
...and that's ok. As a player, I'm sure a lot - that is, most human beings - would think my music was completely lame. Maybe .0001% of people would dig it. Doesn't bother me, since I do it for myself and not as a pro doing it to make a living.
One thing I can't really stand (and am guilty of myself from time to time) is listeners lumping entire genres into into the good/bad category. I'm not a rap fan, but that doesn't mean there aren't a handful of guys out there making really interesting beats and engaging provocative subjects beyond boats & hoes. I like heavy music, but that also means that not every kid who bought their first guitar last week and is convinced they can play Black Dahlia Murder through a Spider IV should be considered "good."

tl/dr; it's okay for people to like or not like whatever music they want for pretty much any reason(s) they might have, but good musicianship tends to rise above preconceived notions.

EDIT: on the other hand, what is music really? An organization of tone/timbre, rhythm, a collection of pitches in time to form some sort of melody... What *might* determine good/bad, on a subconscious level, could be cultural, or perhaps simply the interaction of noise stimulus to the (widely varied) human ear?
A jet passes overhead, a flag flaps in the wind, boots on a busy sidewalk, and all of a sudden August Rush is composing a classical piece with a flamenco vibe.

Last edited:
Hey people...one thing I've noticed is I never met a guitarists in my life that was 100% open to try any type of music... do you consider yourself like this....
I've always liked/ try to listen to all genres of music...I can 100% say that i'm open minded when it comes to music...
cheers! Most can't!

I like a LOT of different kinds of music, and people are astounded that I'm putting out a basically rock-song album soon, since my last was quiet, meditative piano music. I love a lot of jazz, blues, various eras of 'classical', including some modern classical, a lot of world music (especially Indian Ragas and Balinese Gamelon). What I don't like: what I feel to be self-indulgence/egomania. I don't like a million notes in ANY kind of music, except in short bursts, for emotional release. I don't like 'hey look at me' stunt guitarists like Vai, Buckethead etc. I like SOUL - and 500 notes-a-second ain't got no soul in my book. Oh, and I hate disco. I like some hip hop, despise some. Kanye may be an a-hole, but his last album is the most interesting release of truly experimental music in a long time - blows those all-dressed-in-black auteurs like Henry Kaiser out of the water (though Kaiser did do ONE good recording, an electric guitar version of a Bartok piece called 'bagpipes').

Nickleback? Yuck. Way past my projectile vomit threshold...

All I can say is that White was the star of that movie to me, and the people he cited as influences too. Page was cool. The edge was totally outclassed - no balls compared to Jack White. Like him or not, White's real - he writes and sings and plays from what I believe to be an authentic place - and I guess that's what matters most, in any art form.
As long as we are venting about Jack White I want add a comment about the opening scenes in the movie It Might Get Loud. He is fashioning a guitar of sorts out of a piece of wood, a wire and a pickup. His narration states that he thinks music should be a challenge to create, essentially if an instrument is too easy to play it will not enable the performer to play his best. Really? Have I wasted lots of money on my Gibson, Fender and MusicMan guitars? I doubt Itzhak Perlman and Rachel Barton, to name just two, agree. Jeesh. If he must say outrageous things to become famous, he should do it another way. His contention is rediculous.

There, I feel better now. My wife has heard this rant and likely thinks I am crazy. That may very well be true but nonetheless, the idea that an instrument that is difficult to play will make you perform better is silly. The challenge is in using your head, heart and fingers to express the language of music. A poorly set up instrument just gets in the way.

I strive to be open minded to any GENRE, but my liking of individual artists within that genre may vary. Heck I like to take a break from "serious" music sometimes and enjoy some shameless pop. I find a lot to admire in a slick production and a catchy hook. But try as I might, I can't find anything to like in Nicky Minaj's music.

I'm very open-minded except for country music. I don't mean to denigrate country music, but its not really my thing.

And for those of you who like country music, denigrate means to put down ;-)

I can usually find something redeeming in any genre. There are genres that are far more heavily weighted in my album collection, but I've got a bit of everything. I don't have much hip hop & rap, but there's definitely some good music/musicians in those genres. I also don't have a lot of country, but there are definitely country artists that I highly respect and I do have a few albums. If I think the musician or band has something to say and they mean it, I'll usually give it a listen.

I wish I could play any styles and genres , but when it comes to fusion ,progressive rock , jazz chords , I just go back home and practice...:)

I haven't met a person that was a 100% open minded about anything. We all have pre-conceived notions about things. I think the more I know about my own prejudices and preconceptions, the more open minded I can become. But I will never be 100% open minded. I don't think it would be a good thing if I was.

That said, I try to keep my mind open to different ideas and genres. There is a lot of great stuff out there.

cheers! Most can't!

I find that when thou protest too loudly, it usually indicates the opposite.

ashamed to admit that i am pretty loyal to specific guitar players and so would put up with songs i don't particularly like just cause of the guitarist.
a guitar player could be a virtuoso but if he/she is not on my list of favorites, their music won't get much air time (steve lukather comes to mind).
even with music, i would avoid listening to genres that are not my bag (rap/hip hop/boy bands/most metal)
even within the same genre, there will be certain songs/artists that i don't give a chance to..
that's why i'm always changing stations on my car stereo if i don't like the first 10 seconds of what i hear...
so, i guess i'm not open minded at all, is what i'm trying to say...

Interesting. I'm not at all guitarcentric with my listening. I listen to some guitar players just to keep my hand in the game, know what is going on, but I don't listen to more guitar players than anything else. I like music regardless of the instrument being played.

Back
Top Bottom