are they scared who knows

Isn't this what the blackstar ID series and Positive Grid Bias are doing for the most part? With blackstar it's a mix and match preamps with tube types, and bias was more in depth.
Yes but their algos are nowhere near to Fractal quality imho.
I was already dreaming of a "amp-lab" software and few amp slots on the axe to load your custom amps.. just my imagination!

The tonestack, preamp tubes, and power amp tubes can be changed on any existing model. Biasing, transformer (mis)matching, the value of the bright cap, etc. You can heavily mod the existing models to make hybrids and amps that essentially don't exist IRL.

I'd vote for new models like we've been getting with each new firmware, versus a complex method to build a model from scratch.

People would buy models created by well-known amp designers.

It would be similar to the preset market now. I'm actually surprised that the preset market isn't hotter. Or is it hot and I'm just ignorant?

I think the reason there isn't a preset market is because presets won't sound the same for very long, due to the rapid development of newer better sounding firmware. I've had presets that sounded identical to a specific guitarist but 2 firmware updates later, they still sound good but not the same as the guitarist anymore.

I think the reason there isn't a preset market is because presets won't sound the same for very long, due to the rapid development of newer better sounding firmware. I've had presets that sounded identical to a specific guitarist but 2 firmware updates later, they still sound good but not the same as the guitarist anymore.

I truly feel that we are the beneficiaries of knowledge when we own an Axe-fx. I have learned things about, amps, cabs, eqs and tubes, that I never would have known about with another product.

I truly feel that we are the beneficiaries of knowledge when we own an Axe-fx. I have learned things about, amps, cabs, eqs and tubes, that I never would have known about with another product.

I've definitely learned a lot since I bought my now vintage Axe-Fx II Mark I. The best thing about it, is that you can know a ton or very little but either way, turn a few knobs and you'll have tones that sound great.

I've definitely learned a lot since I bought my now vintage Axe-Fx II Mark I. The best thing about it, is that you can know a ton or very little but either way, turn a few knobs and you'll have tones that sound great.

I have been spending a little time with 1.03 and a Class a30 Tb, this morning learning songs, for Dec 6th. Man it sounds good! It is such a joy to play semi loud (wife's out of the house shopping for a few hours with her mother) When you have the ability to turn it up a little bit, man oh man. I could play this all day.

I have been spending a little time with 1.03 and a Class a30 Tb, this morning learning songs, for Dec 6th. Man it sounds good! It is such a joy to play semi loud (wife's out of the house shopping for a few hours with her mother) When you have the ability to turn it up a little bit, man oh man. I could play this all day.

My presets sound a lot better the louder I play. I know this effect is always there to some extend, but with my analogue drive pedals quite a bit less. I wish my FX8-Amp combination would sound as just as convincing at bedroom levels. Therefore I pumped up the volume to semi- loud stage levels last night. At 11 pm I heard someone knocking from a lower floor - maybe a broom hammering against the ceiling. Just when I was digging the tone in my room some civilian spoilt the party and my wife came into the room to warn me... Heck, the bands rehearsal place is a 20 minutes drive away... Surely Wouldn't happen if I had the AX8 around, lol...

Between the many amp models present in the axefx, and the many parameters, you kinda can already design your own amp. I think it would be great to have a user interface that displayed the actual schematic layout and component values, all of which are completely editable and 100% accurate to the physical world without the limitations of the physical world. What a wonderfully disturbing rabbit hole that would be. "Exmachina", anyone?

But the fact is digital technology is here to stay; every market supports it. What markets support tube technology? Tube stuff, guitar amp stuff in general, is highly specialized and with specialization comes exclusivity. I still see a `63 split window `vette on occasion, and I can tell you it is something special to drive. But it really can't compete with a new one; even the radio is not as good. I have a wonderful old marshall. It is hand wired, has high dollar coupling caps, nos tubes, tweaked out and everything. I love it but just like that old 'vette, it is a one trick pony. It is special - but only from a very narrow perspective. It comes with a lot baggage. The tone is shapeable within a very narrow range, it is always a marshall. You can make it do clean but it is never a fender. It is loud. Loud is a part of the sound and feel of the amp. If you take that away you kill the amp - it loses the a part of the thing that makes it alive. I could go on and on...

The axefx, on the other hand, can actually take the character of that amp and provide you with incredible control over these characteristics. You can compensate for what you lose when the volume is not as loud. You can actually enhance the characteristics that make an amp special. And with the flick of a switch, you can do that with a Ferrari, ...I mean a blond fender. It ain't heavy and it don't get hot. It already sounds and feels as good as that special marshall, to my ears, and it seems to be getting better monthly. It will continue to get even better.

Tube amps will become costly nostalgic antiquities and when we occasionally plug into them, we will be blown away at the power of volume and amazed at the lack control and practicality, ...just like that wonderful old 'vette. It is only a matter of time boys and girls. My humble opinion and all...

I said at the end of the post...................but the AX8 with 220 amps that recreate the incredible nuanced tone and feel of real tube amps: sparkling cleans, elusive “edge of breakup” tones, and everything from warm, touch-sensitive overdrive to face-melting distortion....plus 130+ “Factory” cabs...it's a no brainer and ....it's a great time to be a guitar player.....IMHO..............................cause it really applies to both............and it kind of spiraled out of control
What is this thread about? Why is it in the AX8 forum??

We have gone from digital modeling to Harley's .....I've created a monster with this thread....lol..I'm gettin on my Fat Boy and ridin outa here........

Back
Top Bottom