Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

There's nothing wrong with wanting more updates for the II. But expecting updates to a product that's been in the market well for over 5 years already with a remarkable number of updates already is just unrealistic. But several months after the III came out, Fractal actually did deliver a significant update to the II - it came out 7 years after the II was announced. If I get an update to the III in 2025, I'm going to be pretty damn stoked.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more updates for the II. But expecting updates to a product that's been in the market well for over 5 years already with a remarkable number of updates already is just unrealistic. But several months after the III came out, Fractal actually did deliver a significant update to the II - it came out 7 years after the II was announced. If I get an update to the III in 2025, I'm going to be pretty damn stoked.
And still sounding overwhelming BTW; even bluesguys are leaving their tubeamps for this, (or at least accept it; the most purist players I guess)

My III came with a FAS Firmware coupon book, which entitles the bearer to 12 major firmware updates over course of ownership, no expiration, no cash value. I'm probably going to cash in the first 11 over the next year or two, but I'm going to hang onto coupon #12....

Around 2029 I'm going to wave that coupon around and say "hey, I know the III has been discontinued for 7 years already, BUT you guys owe me 1 more firmware update"

Then again, maybe that didn't and wouldn't happen, because that isn't how any of this works =)

Everyone should try pretending the shoe was on the other foot, so to speak. Let’s say FAS didn’t provide free updates, what if they charged $29.99 for each one...

Well then, an early buyer would of spent hundreds of dollars on updates to equal a unit that someone recently bought, as that newly bought unit would have all the newest stuff that early owners needed to pay for.

Suddenly I don’t think any recent owners would be upset they were “missing” out on firmware, they’d be thrilled they got like 30 major updates all included free of charge.

Provides an interesting change of perspective, no?

Okay then....

I wasn't really trying to address the longtime owners though, as that would be preaching to the choir. I intended it for those folks who are recent buyers and who may feel they are "missing out" on updates. Trying to illustrate for them in a different way, in an implied monetary value, how they ALREADY got all those years of refinement, all bundled right into their units.

Maybe it was a horrible analogy, maybe its you.. Either way, just trying to help people realize the value in what they got, regardless of if you bought 6 years ago, or 6 months ago.

When I mentionned 30 updates, this did not include all the Beta, x.01, x.02, x.03 etc versions. Counting these it might well be over 60 FW updates....I surely wouldn't even imagine crying for more.
Before I had a digitech 2101LE, the thing got 2 major updates and that's it....
What matters is "how does it sound ?"; and well it sounds kickass. FTTB and IMHO the II has not yet been egalised by any competitor; and I can't even imagine what the III sounds like.

The only thing I'd like is a fix for the communication timeout bug (see the bug forum), which is driving me nuts.

Aside from that 10.1 is the the mutt's nutz. Will jump over the to 3 at some point.

Is the value getting the new update, or having them?

I’d say having them.

If you want to simulate it, load version 1.xx, then download and update each firmware since the beginning. It will probably take you many hours to do, especially if you stop and read each release note as well as explore each one a bit. You’ll eventually get to the current version.

"Is the value getting the new update, or having them?"
I get the argument: "You already got all 30 firmware updates" and it got me convinced for a bit.
But here's the counter argument: It isn't completely about the number of firware installed or what features you have. It's about knowing that you have the top of the line stuff, and that you have the ability to upgrade it to top of the line in the future.
That is why the value of the AXE FX 2 drops so hard when FW updates stop.
And I can fully understand the shock people might have for buying Axe 2, just to find out that Axe 3 is anounced the other day. But such a thing is unavoidable.

"Is the value getting the new update, or having them?"
I get the argument: "You already got all 30 firmware updates" and it got me convinced for a bit.
But here's the counter argument: It isn't completely about the number of firware installed or what features you have. It's about knowing that you have the top of the line stuff, and that you have the ability to upgrade it to top of the line in the future.
That is why the value of the AXE FX 2 drops so hard when FW updates stop.
And I can fully understand the shock people might have for buying Axe 2, just to find out that Axe 3 is anounced the other day. But such a thing is unavoidable.
Whether or not it gets more updates is not relevant to your point... Because it is NOT top of the line now. That honor belongs to the Axe Fx III... However, I think it's still really good and easily #2.

So weird how with modelers it’s all about having “latest and greatest”, “ top of the line” etc, but with hardware it’s often the exact opposite; tons of folks prefer the older versions

Digitech kept coming out with new and improved Whammy pedals and everyone kept paying a fortune for the first version.

Everyone wants the old MIJ versions of Boss pedals. Older amps are more desireable than new builds etc. Script versions of MXR sounded better than block versions, which sounded better than the script reissue.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think the new stuff sounds better, my III is better than my II, but surprising there isn’t a subset of guitarist out there rocking early Fw II’s or Ultras, and claiming on forums how the newer stuff didn’t sound as good and the “vintage” stuff is where it’s at.

Old amps, old guitars, broken-in speakers, rare pedals, broken in boots.... up to date firmware

Okay then....

I wasn't really trying to address the longtime owners though, as that would be preaching to the choir. I intended it for those folks who are recent buyers and who may feel they are "missing out" on updates. Trying to illustrate for them in a different way, in an implied monetary value, how they ALREADY got all those years of refinement, all bundled right into their units.

Maybe it was a horrible analogy, maybe its you.. Either way, just trying to help people realize the value in what they got, regardless of if you bought 6 years ago, or 6 months ago.
You have a valid point all fractal gear is the top of the line in amp modeling and it should be that way for everyone of the products regardless of profit
Profit is for greedy business men

So weird how with modelers it’s all about having “latest and greatest”, “ top of the line” etc, but with hardware it’s often the exact opposite; tons of folks prefer the older versions

Digitech kept coming out with new and improved Whammy pedals and everyone kept paying a fortune for the first version.

Everyone wants the old MIJ versions of Boss pedals. Older amps are more desireable than new builds etc. Script versions of MXR sounded better than block versions, which sounded better than the script reissue.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think the new stuff sounds better, my III is better than my II, but surprising there isn’t a subset of guitarist out there rocking early Fw II’s or Ultras, and claiming on forums how the newer stuff didn’t sound as good and the “vintage” stuff is where it’s at.

Old amps, old guitars, broken-in speakers, rare pedals, broken in boots.... up to date firmware
There’s a metal band I saw and they where using ultras and they had incredible tone

You have a valid point all fractal gear is the top of the line in amp modeling and it should be that way for everyone of the products regardless of profit
Profit is for greedy business men
While I would agree that Fractal gear is overall better than. It's competition there has always been a heirarchy in Fractal's product line.

Axe FX Standard < Axe FX Ultra < Axe FX II < Axe FX II XL < Axe FX II XL + < Axe FX III

As for the FX-8 and AX-8, I don't feel they quite fit in that list.

As for profit, it is reserved for those that offer the best product at a price the market will bear. Greed is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom