Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

The Axe-FX II has been a wonderful ride and is a fantastic rig but it is time to move forward in development of the platform. Axe-FX III for the win!!!!!! Let’s all be positive about this awesome advancement.

The Axe-FX II has been a wonderful ride and is a fantastic rig but it is time to move forward in development of the platform. Axe-FX III for the win!!!!!! Let’s all be positive about this awesome advancement.
I’m moving backwards to an amp with the II for the effects. Looking forward I think I am going to give a Kemper a try at some point.

I doubt we'd get 500 people to pay that much. The firmware would get pirated instantly.
You could use Kick Starter (or similar) and as long as you get the required amount, release it to everyone and not have to worry about pirating. If you don't get it, you never start working on it an no one actually pays.

Wow, got a lot of thoughts here... I'll try to keep it fairly short and civil! Ha! I am brand new to the Fractal world and have been "living" and lurking on the forum for the past month or so.

I think that when a company forum moderator takes the time to put out about a dozen paragraphs addressing concerns from the customers that it signals a tremendous amount of passion and care for the products, fellow employees and customers. The generosity and level of transparency I've seen so far has been nothing short of astounding.

The willingness of Fractal owners to help other owners through forum interaction is also unprecedented in any other product line that I've ever seen. 99.9% of the forum traffic is glowingly positive and inspiring. My experience so far has been magical. Although I am new to Fractal, I've been playing for over 30 years and have a great deal of "other" experience and have been excited to share and hopefully contribute my little something to such a hidden treasure that I did not realize even existed until a month ago.

I bought the XL+ because the price drop brought it so close to what I was about to pay for a new Line 6 Helix. There's a lot of "self-psychology" that goes into a major gear purchase (I'm a bedroom musician) and when I turned on the XL+ and played through the presets on my headphones, my first thought was, "Why did I wait so long to buy one of these?" My second thought was about all of the money I had spent on other gear that would have been better spent on a Fractal product.

Because I am new to your world and bought the XL+, I don't really know one Axe-Fx from another. BUT, from what I read about free firmware updates, free IR packages, the addition of "scenes", cabs, pedals, amps and the rest - Fractal Audio is a crazy-amazing company. The customers feel comfortable calling the CEO by his first name and he apparently responds personally in the forums.

Maybe it's because I am new and haven't gotten used to the Fractal owner "experience" that I feel a little disappointed that a number of people have openly complained about what the Axe-Fx III release means to their older models. Personally, I am so thrilled with the XL+ as it was delivered (Quantum 9.04) that I am not the least bit concerned about future updates, new cabs, amps, pedals, etc. Any new additions from here on out will be "sprinkles on the already-delicious cupcake of tone." Again, I'm new here, so my opinion probably doesn't count for much with the multiple-Axe owners. For me, what initially seemed like an excessive purchase quickly became a "bargain of epic proportions" once I actually had the chance to experience it.

I only write this because I feel like the Fractal team has been coming "under fire" simply for creating a bigger and meaner product. They don't deserve the distain that has been thrown their way. If a company makes a crappy product or pulls a few dodgy stunts, then by all means, it's a free-fire zone. But, these guys have been saints from Day One.

So, to the Fractal Team, I say: Thank you for everything I've seen in the last 30 days. You are all so open, generous and amazing (and patient). The XL+ has made tones so beautiful and rich that it has actually brought a tear to my eye. You've managed to create a metal box that has a soul, and that cannot be overstated.

To the Forum users, I say: Thank you for the lightning-quick speed in helping me and the other users on the forum. I have learned so much from you already that it feels like a college course in Fractal (the mid-term exam will kick my butt!) Everything has been so overwhelmingly positive here that it has often felt like an alternate universe, given the state of today's culture. The user-generated sound clips and videos have been a refreshing source of inspiration for my meager playing, song-writing and Fractal operation skills. You have created something really unique and special here and I am grateful for being exposed to it. Thank you all.

Well put. When you’ve been here a while, it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that Fractal”s transparency, dedication and generosity is a cut above the rest of the industry. It’s good to get the new guy’s perspective now and then.

$250 X 500 users estimate= $ 125,000.00, does this make financial sence?

I’ll pay $250.

Wouldn't it be just more beneficial to sell the II and buy the III and reap all the benefits of hardware updates...? I mean, if the updates are that important for you.... what's next...?

All this fuss over the II at this point; the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Besides, you should be happy you're getting anything at this stage. Let us not forget when the II was released the lights went out for the Ultra. That was it, the end... goodnight!

Still, regardless the II is a great unit and will remain so for many years. Be thankful for that!

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be just more beneficial to sell the II and buy the III and reap all the benefits of hardware updates...? I mean, if the updates are that important for you.... what''s next...?

All this fuss over the II at this point; the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Besides, you should be happy you're getting anything at this stage. Let us not forget when the II was released the lights went out for the Ultra. That was it, the end.

Still, regardless the II is a great unit and will remain so for many years. Be thankful for that!

I´m thankful for many things, i was just putting out a number that made financial sense.

I´m thankful for many things, i was just putting out a number that made financial sense.

Understood,and I see your point. But remember, the III is just getting off the ground soon we'll be reaching point were hardware updates will be essential to supporting the firmware. The moment that happens, everyone will be pissed off again and feel cheated. Why didn't Fractal warn me...?

So, you need to ask yourself... am I investing in a deadened...?

At least that's my take. Glass half empty, half full... you decided.

I doubt we'd get 500 people to pay that much. The firmware would get pirated instantly.

Wait, i don't get it.. Aren't we talking about porting it to the Axe II platform, in which case it would be like any other firmware update, ie un-pirateable?

And actually, now that i'm thinking about it, i reckon i would pay for some sort continuing development on the Axe II. Not interested in more amps myself, there's more than enough for my needs (but yes, i realise that more amps are a big drawcard for many), but am certainly interested in the developing modelling tech.
If the possibility of buying into the advancing modelling technology on the Axe II existed, i'd seriously consider it as great option.
Especially given the AXE III here in Aus is around the $3.5K mark, when it becomes available...

Last edited:
Wait, i don't get it.. Aren't we talking about porting it to the Axe II platform, in which case it would be like any other firmware update, ie un-pirateable?
Let's say I paid the money and got the firmware. I give you a copy. Pirated. ;)

And actually, now that i'm thinking about it, i reckon i would pay for some sort continuing development on the Axe II.
The Axe 2 will still get some Amp modelling updates, as Cliff said.
It's just that there won't be any other kind of updates, like UI stuff, which is what this thread is about.

I think we should move on and be thankful for what we got and possibly will get from Cliff and FAS. If I need all the bells and whisles of the Axe FX 3 I should but it, period. and I know that eventually lots of us will move to the next platform. :) in the meanwhile, we may get some new updates from FAS for 2 which will be great.

Back
Top Bottom