Are there cogent reasons for preferring an FX8 over an FM3?

Vhailor

G'morning!

Are there cogent reasons for preferring an FX8 over an FM3?

I'm considering selling my FX8 mkII and buying an FM3 but I'm kinda unsure how cost- and sonically-efficient this would be.

My interest in mainly for effects. I'm using an Atomic Amplifire for amp/cab sims and, for my needs (mostly cleanish sounds), I'm pretty happy with it. An FM3 would almost certainly be an upgrade (though not necessarily vital for me, in consideration of my needs) over the Amplifire, but how much of an upgrade for effects would it be?

And are there other factors that I'm overlooking? (Aside from, let's say, the FX8's 11 footswitches, as opposed to the (miserly) 3 on the FM3.

Note please that I don't gig, so being more or less gigable is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Stay safe!

Having an all-in-one unit with the power and features of the FM3 seems like a big upgrade in comparison to how you're using the FX8.

The only things to consider is whether you are using the onboard relays of the FX8 to switch a connected tube amp, and whether or not having two separate stereo outputs with unity gain design is important (the FM3 has one, plus the separate main stereo XLR out intended to be used with amp/cab sim presets).
The biggest difference for you will be that the effects have been expanded and improved.
In my opinion, you'll also find the amp and cab modeling to be superior.

Also, you can add six switches to the FM3 with an FC6 :)

Thanks for the reply!

An FM3 with an FC6 is, to me, not seem like a cost-effective solution, for my specific situation and needs.

Doing a wee bit of research makes it seem to me that, instead of buying an FM3 / FC6 combination, I might be better off an FM3 and keeping the FX8 and using that as a foot / midi controller, as it seems to be capable of doing almost everything that I could ever possibly need.

And considering the cost of an FC3 compared to what I could get by selling the FX8, an FM3 / FX8 pairing would give me far more capabilities, and far more relevant (to my needs) capabilities than an FM3 / FC6 pair - for a reasonably minor increase in cost.

So I'm going to think about it, but really, I'm not sure that I need any external foot controller at all.

Again, thanks for your reply!
Stay safe!

Last edited:
What about an FM3+MC8?

I don't really need - and I want to emphasize the word "need" here - but I don't really "need" more footswitches, although, from what I've read, it is, shall we say, theoretically possible to set up my (long-ago acquired) Roland FC300 to work with the FM3. But I might never have a legitimate need to actually do so.

The main thing for me is the effects. The amp/cab stuff is a benefit, to be sure. (But I don't want to imply that I'm not getting some really beautiful sounds out of my Amplifire, because I am.) On the other hand, I use, almost exclusively, clean to slightly distorted sounds. And, from time to time, some pretty nasty fuzzboxes.

At any rate, the FX8 is up on Reverb. (And, rules permitting, I will put it up on the appropriate forum on this site, and on another, well-known forum [where I have a great amount of positive feedback], in the next two days or so.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom