Are there 'clicking' guitar knobs?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I googled this alot and i couldnt find anything.
I want a guitar knobs that clicks so i can feel how much i turned them. For example there could be 10 clicks in a knob and if you backed down 2 clicks you know your volume is on 8 without having to look at the knob.

honestly knurled tele style knobs with a set screw are great for adjusting by feel, with just a few hours of playing your fingers can feel the indent of the set screw and once you know where it is oriented for 10 your brain can extrapolate how far around the circle it is to 8ish by how much it's moved relative to where it started

The Loknobs from Stewmac do what you describe. I have them and like them a lot. They are tall, but not really an issue for me. They are spring loaded and lock down with Allen screws. How far you push the knobs down on the pot shaft when you lock the Allen screws determines how stiff the click action is.

The Loknobs from Stewmac do what you describe. I have them and like them a lot. They are tall, but not really an issue for me. They are spring loaded and lock down with Allen screws. How far you push the knobs down on the pot shaft when you lock the Allen screws determines how stiff the click action is.

Haven't try them yet but good info to know.

Nice! Loknobs seem just what i need. How many clicks there are in a knob? To go from 10 to 8 how many clicks would that be?

By my count the Loknobs have 26 clicks, so 8 would be rolled back by 5-6 clicks. They come with two mounting options. One uses an adhesive ring, the other threads and tightens down on the pot. I use CTS pots and the threaded option, they are very solid. I can't speak to how well the adhesive ring option works.

Rex here on the forum slapped some sense into me about using my tone knob to pull high end harsh/thin issues out of my presets. I found the sweet spot on my tone pot and use a Loknob to hold it in place. For volume I found a similar default sweet spot rolling off 3 clicks. A Loknob secures that position also. They are $12 each, but well worth the results I'm getting.

I have never used loknobs, but I do tweak my tone and volume knobs a lot when playing live. Seems like it could work once you get used to it, but I find that the regular knobs work fine for me to control the volume and tone. Guess I'm just an old school guy.

I have never used loknobs, but I do tweak my tone and volume knobs a lot when playing live. Seems like it could work once you get used to it, but I find that the regular knobs work fine for me to control the volume and tone.
I feel the same. I'd much rather turn a guitar knob by memory and feel than try to count clicks during a performance.

11 detent 500K linear potentiometer
Dunno. 11 detents means you only get about one click per number on the dial, which means you'll often miss the sweet spots. And it's got a linear taper, so only two or three of those positions will be of any use to you.

Dunno. 11 detents means you only get about one click per number on the dial, which means you'll often miss the sweet spots. And it's got a linear taper, so only two or three of those positions will be of any use to you.
They have audio taper ones as well.

I'm guessing that the detents are only on the shaft and all the continuous variability/sweet spots are there in between.

It's a cool idea but I go by ear too. On my Strat I always play with both the vol and tone pots backed off some and make those adjustments by ear.

by ear is fine, but if you have some busy riffs in between your adjustments its quicker to feel a few clicks.

by ear is fine, but if you have some busy riffs in between your adjustments its quicker to feel a few clicks.

What I do is make very slow adjustments and alter my pick attack as well to achieve the desired change. So I might back off the volume less than I might need but then pick softer. Then make another tiny adjustment a little bit latter. It all becomes force of habit after a while and I don't have to think about it.

For something really really precise and quick, I would consider a scene change or an IA footswitch.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom