Are there any MIDI translators, router or device like this?

mwd

Power User
Looking for some kind of highly programmable MIDI translator to sit as an in-between the Axe III and less intelligent devices such as Akai APC Mini. Whereas the APC has a ton of buttons and 9 faders it is very limited as to the message it sends out. I am wondering if there is a 'device' that can take a simple fixed PC or CC, that covers multiple MIDI channels, and map those buttons to 'any' PC or CC on any specific channel.

Along with the aforementioned MIDI Solutions boxes, I'd suggest checking out the MIDX-20 from Primova Sound. It supports mapping, conversion, and filtering of MIDI data, and has 2 USB Host ports as well as MIDI in/out ports. Also has 2 expression pedal inputs for adding even more pedal control to your rig.

I've used both boxes for various things in my rig and they both are solid, dependable units. The MIDI Solutions box is great if you just want to filter some data inline; it is even powered from the MIDI cable, which is super handy. If you need more inputs/outputs and/or more advanced routing, the MIDX-20 is the way to go.

Reactions: mwd
Our band is hybrid using Showbuddy on a MacBook to fire PC messages to (2) Axe III's as well as an X32, Eventide, Voicelive, lightshow, fog and other devices. After thinking about this a bit I am thinking I may be able to do this with software only. And a USB hub because I'm tapped out on ports.

I believe the iConnect devices like the mioXL and mioXM will cover most rerouting and remapping needs, including filtering messages and merging midi streams. I don't think you'll be able to trigger multiple messages from one input (a more "intelligent approach"). For that, I would recommend something like the Lemur app, which can trigger multiple messages from virtual buttons/knobs/faders/etc.. on an iOS device, and can receive an external message to trigger the same. Lemur then becomes the control "brain" over everything else.

I used to run a Midi2+ as the main "hub" for a number of devices, and Lemur as the most "intelligent" of the connections.

Our band is hybrid using Showbuddy on a MacBook to fire PC messages to (2) Axe III's as well as an X32, Eventide, Voicelive, lightshow, fog and other devices. After thinking about this a bit I am thinking I may be able to do this with software only. And a USB hub because I'm tapped out on ports.
I was going to mention Bome... But looks like you found it.

I've never used it but seen it recommended a lot.

This Bome Translator is awesome for my application. The APC mini has 81 buttons and 9 sliders in a 9x8x1 footprint. I have it controlling 8 scenes, 8 presets on my Axe, 8 presets on the Eventide, 8 on the Voicelive, volume levels on 2 guitars as well as master guitar levels on the X32 mixer, fog machine and about to start programming 9 sliders and 33 buttons for light scenes.

I've got all this crap already being automated by computer but sometimes it nice to hit a button to turn on a light or manually bump the fog level due to conditions or jump to a goto preset to jam. I got the APC for keyboard presets in MainStage 3 but I got to thinking...

Back
Top Bottom