Are the Standard and Ultra now discontinued?

Are the old models now discontinued? Or will they remain in production and be sold cheaper?

Well I don't know if they will continue to make the standard or ultra....BUT.... one thing IS certian.... a lot of standards and Ultras will be on sale at places like Ebay thanks to this announcement.

Keen to grab an ultra I just took a look in the FS section as an ultra will more than suit my needs and the EU prices people are asking are for their 2nd hand units are more than a new AXE FX II !
Yet US sellers are letting them go for $1600-$1800. The mind boggles.
New with import tax + warranty I can understand, but €2,000 ( $2,887.00 ) for a 2nd hand unit ? Ouch.
Will check back in a couple of weeks when the Axe II's are out and about and curious to see what the G66 prices + availability will be like.

I would hazard a guess that they will not be producing any more new Standards or Ultras and will just be producing new Axe FX IIs from here on in.

However, I would say that they would still be creating firmware patches and updates for the Standard and Ultra for at least the next 2 to 4 years minimum. That is the general useful like of a tech product, and a resonable estimate for an EOL process...

I would hazard a guess that they will not be producing any more new Standards or Ultras and will just be producing new Axe FX IIs from here on in.

That would be a bad idea.
Not everybody can afford 2199$.
They might merge the standard and ultra and sell it at the current standard price.

you see any pentium 2's or 3's being sold, you see any non duo core or even non quad cores being sold, ? basically the others are history

Cliff said the Ultra is now matured: 11FW power amp improvement = last improvement.

(maybe bug fixes, if any bugs left.)

Last edited:
not discontinued,just go to the for sale forum.why just today ther are 12 AxeFx's for sale,predicting much more.its like rats jumping off a sinking ship,except the ship is not sinking.:)

Oh, what a mess. I´ve hoped for something new in future. Some new factory presets or something else...
So much money and suddenly it is the "old" version.:(

Cliff said the Ultra is now matured: 11FW power amp improvement = last improvement.

Oh, what a mess. I´ve hoped for something new in future. Some new factory presets or something else...
So much money and suddenly it is the "old" version.:(

Yeah, it's the "old" version, but it's still the 2nd best thing on the market (well, first best until the Axe II goes on sale).

Just a thought, but it would have been a nice touch if Cliff had have thrown in a new amp or effect in v11, just to sweeten the pain for those who just bought an Ultra and now wish they had've waited for the Axe FX II. Understandably he's been super busy working on the Axe FX II, and going forward I would assume he can (and probably should) only focus on one version for updates etc (i.e. the Axe FX II).

If the Ultra is "fully matured", does that mean there will be no more updates for the Ultra and Standard? The new firmware updates with amps etc, although never guaranteed, were a nice selling point of the unit which I'm sure most buyers of the units expected to continue. Can't complain about my Ultra though, just not sure if I will ever feel the "christmas day buzz" of waiting for a new upgrade and discovering a new amp or effect to explore...

Anyway, I'm now saving for the Axe FX III, while still enjoying the pleasure of the Ultra :)

Cheers

Just a thought, but it would have been a nice touch if Cliff had have thrown in a new amp or effect in v11, just to sweeten the pain for those who just bought an Ultra and now wish they had've waited for the Axe FX II. Understandably he's been super busy working on the Axe FX II, and going forward I would assume he can (and probably should) only focus on one version for updates etc (i.e. the Axe FX II).

If the Ultra is "fully matured", does that mean there will be no more updates for the Ultra and Standard? The new firmware updates with amps etc, although never guaranteed, were a nice selling point of the unit which I'm sure most buyers of the units expected to continue. Can't complain about my Ultra though, just not sure if I will ever feel the "christmas day buzz" of waiting for a new upgrade and discovering a new amp or effect to explore...

Anyway, I'm now saving for the Axe FX III, while still enjoying the pleasure of the Ultra :)

Cheers

I'd gladly lose an amp or 3 or 5 to be replaced by better/newer models or uprated processing algorithms.

I don't think we're @ the end of the line quite yet, this is from the Axe II page.

More to Come...
Whereas the Axe-Fx Standard and Ultra are …almost… mature in terms of their capacity for further development, the Axe-Fx II is well equipped for a future of free upgrades and updates in the tradition that established our commitment to product evolution

just read on another thread,quite the contrary.believe Cliffs qoute was"you guys have to stop putting words in my mouth."
hasn't there been enough speculation this past week?:)

just read on another thread,quite the contrary.believe Cliffs qoute was"you guys have to stop putting words in my mouth."
hasn't there been enough speculation this past week?:)

This would all go away if Cliff let us in on some info about how the old units will be supported from here on out. I imagine the lack of this info is fueling purchases of the AFII though!

Cliff has never abandoned anyone who is his customer. As a matter of fact, he's fixed units that have been sold second hand. I cannot imagine he will just 'forget' about present Standard and Ultra users. Clearly future development will go to the new product, but I don't have any doubt that he can use present algorithms to port to the older models (new amps for instance...)

Come on folks. Past behaviour is an indication of future intent. Cliff has taken care of us very well with upgrades, bug fixes, etc up to now, and I see NO reason this will change. The pace will be understandably different (slower), but jeez, we have 70 amps now...

Ron

Back
Top Bottom