Are the presets too old now?

I find I have to tweak every present to taste regardless so I don't think it's that big of issue.

It's not like a new bank of presents are going to be any different, because my guitar and pickups are going to sound different than the next guys so at least one of us will need to tweak and that isn't even accounting for subjective ideas of good tone

I think it could honestly be better in some ways to just have each present number be a default amp and matching cab. Let the user adjust everything to taste.

I went through them a few nights ago, and found that most of them held up very well.

+1 with lqdsnddist. I tweak them anyway...not perfect 'out of the box'.

But yes, could be updated if to just keep up with the times.

R

When I go through them, I make a quick mental note of the amp settings and then reset the amp block. Most times, things sound great; if not, I just go back to where the knobs were set and see how that sounds.

^--- I agree. Presets users have had a whole year to change them however they want. And share them on AxeChange. Maybe they already have, I wouldn't know; too busy making my own presets.

That sounds a little sarcastic, but it's not meant to - IMHO preset users are missing out big time on what the AxeFX has to offer.

If the rest of us scamps were as awesome as the post count clan we wouldn't need examples to try and better our skills.
Sorry I made the humble requests. Perhaps I am not awesome enough to post at this forum.
Well, you are a nobody after all... ;)
-
Austin

Perhaps I am not awesome enough to post at this forum.

Well actually your pretty freakin awesome, so post away - but realize everyone else has opinions too. I've ran across my own posts and think... why on earth did I type that?? All is good and part of the big forum enchilada

If the rest of us scamps were as awesome as the post count clan we wouldn't need examples to try and better our skills.
Sorry I made the humble requests. Perhaps I am not awesome enough to post at this forum.

Perhaps not..... at least with that attitude.

If you want to better your skills, select a given amp, with its default settings, which are a great starting point, and start adjusting things. Start with basics like bass/mid/treble. Experiment with master volume settings and find where it sounds best (not always on 10) and try different levels of input drive and overdrive on amps that have that option.

Play with some different IR's and get an idea which style cabs or speakers you like.

Heck, use the looper, record a short riff, let it play over and over while you use your ears and listen to what differences in make.

That is is how you learn

I don't know how long you've been playing, but back in the day before there were things like modelers (Or internet forums for that matter lol) you'd buy an amp, or pedal, and you'd pull it out of the box, plug it in, and start tweaking, finding out what the knobs do, where they sound subjectively "best".

Amp didn't come out of the box with all the knobs set to "great classic rock" setting.

Again, no disrespect to the crafters of some of the presents, but I don't like half of them myself. There are some great sounding amps in the box which would be very easy to write off if one just listened to the preset.

Friedman HBE for example. Cool amp, but to my taste, and my guitars and pickups, the preset does not sound good. I make some adjustments, use a different IR, and sudden "wow", great sounding amp and a tone that works FOR ME

As I said previously, just start with the basics, and even use the looper, its a great tool to use when learning to dial in the sound. You'll get a ton more enjoyment (and a better tone) learning how to create your own ideal tones than hoping that someone else's preset will work well with your guitar and pups and idea of a great tone.

Presets are meant to be a starting point, or an example. It is better to make your own and familiarize yourself with the unit, to get the most out of your purchase. I'd rather Cliff and Co, work on the product, than work on presets. Learn your gear. Just my 2 pesos.

chill. just because there aren't presets right this second, doesn't mean there won't be presets in the future.

I typically will reset the amp block and start from scratch as well. Typically I never go into the more advanced settings and start tweaking. I try to keep it simple. I'm a recovering tweakaholic and try to spend as much time as possible just playing. That said I have wondered if the advanced settings such as preamp, power amp, and power sply need to be addressed with each update or is resetting the amp block all that is needed? I've assumed that those values are pre determined to be an accurate depiction of the stock amp that was modeled, and the updates just make them more accurate. Maybe I way off base on this. Set me straight if I am..

I think that the factory presets banks are tweaked to shine the best of what the Axe can do.
They are good "school examples" as starting points for many amps and cabs and fxs
And... yes... maybe you must adapt something to your set up (assuming it's direct frfr), but i think it's more something in the eq-ing side.
So... after 1 year of firmware upgrades... the Axe is a kind of "totally new" machine and a fresh set of factory bank presets can show what the new firmware can do!
That's all folks!

I still use first 10 presets all day every day without any tweaks. Can't say that about others though :)

I think the presets are great especially when experimenting with different unfamiliar amps and different musical styles and genres.
I'd love the presets to be updated, to show off some the new amps and settings, I know it's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it, and I find them very educational.

Back
Top Bottom