Are the amps' 'Boost' accessible with a MIDI control pedal?

tabqwerty

Inspired
It seems to be more effective for me than the drive pedal blocks. Alternating between Boost on / off would be useful for different applications.

Yup. Create an X setting with it off. Copy it over to Y. Turn boost on in Y. Make a IA switch for amp x/y toggle.

What's SysEx?

Sysex is the MIDI instructions that the AxeFX uses to control stuff that's not normally controlled over MIDI. When Axe-Edit talks to the AxeFX, it communicates over MIDI using Sysex messages. When your MIDI controller communicates to your AxeFX, it uses PC (program changes) or CC (control change messages). The PC and CC commands are universal in nature, but the sysex-based commands are specific to the AxeFX.

If you have an MFC-101 and put it in AxeFX mode, it receives the patch names and tuner info from the AxeFX over sysex.

Yup. Create an X setting with it off. Copy it over to Y. Turn boost on in Y. Make a IA switch for amp x/y toggle.
LOL - that's one way, but it's not quite the same thing as being able to control Boost via IA - which IIRC has not been possible on any of the firmware releases. No attached controller/modifier.

Another approach is to add a Filter block with a 3dB (or 4, 5, or 6dB) level output at end of chain.
Turn off in preset. Set up IA to turn on/off as needed.

LOL - that's one way, but it's not quite the same thing as being able to control Boost via IA - which IIRC has not been possible on any of the firmware releases. No attached controller/modifier.

Another approach is to add a Filter block with a 3dB (or 4, 5, or 6dB) level output at end of chain.
Turn off in preset. Set up IA to turn on/off as needed.

That would provide an increase in overall output level, but not the same as activating the boost function within the amp block, which I believe was the goal.

For the same result as the boost switch you can instead toggle something like vol or filter w/ level at +12 dB before the amp block.

This seems basic as most amps "boost" functions are footswitch-able. I hope this is the case as I'm thinking that will be a function I'll want to control via footswitch after I get my AXE II.

This seems basic as most amps "boost" functions are footswitch-able. I hope this is the case as I'm thinking that will be a function I'll want to control via footswitch after I get my AXE II.
Sorry, but its not the case.

Last I checked, the Axe-FX isn't an amp ;)

with so many other ways to achieve the same thing, there shouldn't be any reason to need this specific method.

check out this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=824387

"Boost" in the amp block is simply a 12dB increase before the preamp.

i still think my x/y method is the best way to go, incase you want to cut a little bass and treble when you boost, or something like that.

Last edited:
Or attach the drive or volume or both to an expression pedal and set your standard to heel down and your boost to toe down. Someone said it before, this is achievable in about 30 different ways - through an IA or pedal. I remember boosting with my guitar's volume knob - does that show my age?

chrisallen8888 said:
Last I checked, the Axe-FX isn't an amp ;)

with so many other ways to achieve the same thing, there shouldn't be any reason to need this specific method.
More to the point, do you really want to dedicate an IA switch to boost? While I do have an IA for amp X/Y, I'd never use one just for boost.

"What's My Age Again?"

I remember boosting with my guitar's volume knob - does that show my age?

LMAO!

Hey, Guthrie Govan just recently ordered an Axe-FX II and an MFC-101 Controller, and I'll GUARANTEE you he'll be adressing such issues with the "old" volume-knob method. BTW, I think your choice of using the volume-knob could have as much to do with your "confidence" as a player as it does your "age!"

Bill

Back
Top Bottom