Are Phil and Viv using Brit Pre or JMPRE-1 on the III?

With the JMP Pre I've really enjoyed using a mix of

60 - 2x12 MAR-66 OH-GREEN 57 OH, and
63 - 2x12 MAR-66 OH-GREEN U70 OH

In fact I find that a great pair of speakers to use with tons of the higher gain amps. Articulate and direct sound.
what settings are you using on the JMP Pre?

The amp model you are looking for is "JMPre-1 OD1"
Just wondering, do they us an overdrive/eq/comp/filter before the amp block or just get all the time from the amp block? Also, do they do real deep on the amp block advance options? I'm hoping on doing a Def Leopard tribute show in a couple of months and this will shure help!

I was back stage for the sound check at a recent Last in Line show (Vivian's Dio side proj) You can Vivian's Amp of choice is right here:

No effects, no tuner, nothing in the chain but a Wah. Engl cab and Blackmoore signature heads. Super clear and brutally loud. I had to put ear plugs in. What a great experience especially since the last time I saw Viv was when the real Dokken with Lynch opened for him while with Dio in 84 ish .

Last edited:
I was back stage for the sound check at a recent Last in Line show (Vivian's Dio side proj) You can Vivian's Amp of choice is right here:
https://vimeo.com/manage/312323866/general

No effects, no tuner, nothing in the chain but a Wah. Engl cab and Blackmoore signature heads. Super clear and brutally loud. I had to put ear plugs in. What a great experience especially since the last time I saw Viv was when the real Dokken with Lynch opened for him while with Dio in 84 ish .
Looks like I can't see that without having a Vimeo Pro account :/

Michael Nielsen absolutely nails a modern Lep tone in this video. The guy is a master at dialing in tones (on the original gear though) Might be able to glean some setting info out of this.

Last edited:
Oh Does phil go from the jmpre-1 od in to an ir cab or does it go in to a amp model first for use as a power amp such as the "tube pre" Also his he using the triangle chorus now or or the new tri chorus in his presets?

All of the Preamps in the Axe FX III to my knowledge include a matched power amp in their model. i.e. Mesas use a mesa style power amp, and the Marshalls are using a Marshall style one. So no need to add a tube pre afterwards to get the power amp part of the sound.

All of the Preamps in the Axe FX III to my knowledge include a matched power amp in their model. i.e. Mesas use a mesa style power amp, and the Marshalls are using a Marshall style one. So no need to add a tube pre afterwards to get the power amp part of the sound.

IIRC the JMP-1 models use the Brit 800 model power amp

Correct - Phil's presets are the JMP amp block into the cab block.

The new rig signal path is: Shure Wireless > RJM switcher > AXE III > Atomic CLR powered wedges. The onstage wedges are just for monitoring purposes. We're using the AES digital output on the III to go to FOH and monitor world.
@jzguitar: if there are monitors on stage coming right from the AXE3 and monitors coming from the AES (to the board and back again), there has to be some time-alignment issues that would cause some comb-filtering and other audio weirdness that would reduce the on-stage clarity. How are they compensating for this?

@jzguitar: if there are monitors on stage coming right from the AXE3 and monitors coming from the AES (to the board and back again), there has to be some time-alignment issues that would cause some comb-filtering and other audio weirdness that would reduce the on-stage clarity. How are they compensating for this?
I can't imagine it'd be any different than using traditional guitar amps and stage monitors/IEM's.

Back
Top Bottom