Are new amps really needed?

It's often said that audience members won't generally notice tonal differences. I guess I'm weird cuz I've always been sensitive to it, and I didn't even pick up an instrument till my mid 40s. In my concert going days, if the band's gutar tone was "different" from what I expected from previous shows or live tracks I'd heard, i'd be quite dissappointed. I could tell it was off though I could not explain any mechanics of why. Maybe there's more than a few weirdos like me out there. Just becasuse someone does not play guitar doesn't mean they necessarily do not have an acute ear for guitar tones.
Totally agree. I’ve had some mates over the years, that say, “the audience won’t know the difference”. Sometimes they’re even talking about the actual song composition. The mix, the chords, the instruments, the amps, even the singer’s cadence make an impression. People may not know when something is wrong, but they know when it sounds right. They front up later, and say it.

Because Cliff and Team have so advanced the amp modeling process I look at my Axe as the best place to use historic unique amps that are not affordable or discontinued. The more the merrier!
hi!sir,I am a new guy.may I ask you who is cliff?i think he's popular guy in this forum.

I'll follow up to my previous post to state that I believe most of our obsession is for purely personal fulfillment. I have to laugh sometimes because, guess what? 90% or more of folks will never care about your awesome guitar tone...they don't even notice.
I disagree 100%.

When you nail the tone AND the playing style, it takes the audience right to where you want them. Do they understand why? No, most of them have no clue why it sounds "right", but it absolutely makes a difference.

Think about it. If it didn't make a difference, we would all be fine playing through a Gorilla.
Because Cliff and Team have so advanced the amp modeling process I look at my Axe as the best place to use historic unique amps that are not affordable or discontinued. The more the merrier!
This. I would love to have an accurate MP-1 model. Why? So that I could take my old preset list and dump it straight in for that original late 80s hair metal sound without having to actually carry around my MP-1.

I disagree 100%.

When you nail the tone AND the playing style, it takes the audience right to where you want them. Do they understand why? No, most of them have no clue why it sounds "right", but it absolutely makes a difference.

Think about it. If it didn't make a difference, we would all be fine playing through a Gorilla.
You don't get it. Sure tone matters, but not to the extent you (maybe) like to believe. Will people notice bad tone? In an instant. Bad tone can kill a song. But people want to enjoy the song and that does not require an obsession with tone.

Next you'll be telling me that people care how the bass sounds! :p

(Great bass players make a huge difference!)

I don’t think any of us here is obsessed with all tones. I only obsess about some of them: my own and ones that I’m trying the emulate and cover.

This thread is like standing in a library and asking, “Do we really need more books?”. Fractal Audio authors new creations, and also offers constant improvements to their previous works. As a member of their audience, I don’t know how they do it, but I appreciate it.

No, all of us do not need every amp model or effect. But all of us need a different handful of them. We have our own preferred section in the library, but should recognize that others do as well. Recognizing my own relative level of illiteracy, I may not even know what I like or what I want, until its stumbled upon.

I see no logic, to advocating limitation.

This is like the disputations in ancient Byzantium on the sex of angels 😀. In the meantime we could be exploring the 303 existing amps. Wait! me too! What am I doing? 😅😅😅

I've been scrolling the forums, and I've noticed a tendency for many users to constantly be speculating about new amp models. However, many of the requests seem somewhat redundant. This lead me to wonder whether some of my "dream additions" might be closely related to already existing models.

My personal wish list is as follows: Tone King Amps, Dumble Steel String Singer, and a Vox AC-50. Are there models in the Axe that closely approximate these that I don't know about? If so, please let me know!
Nobody "needs" chocolate ice cream but sure as hell I'm gonna have one when i feel like it.

(Great bass players make a huge difference!)

I don’t think any of us here is obsessed with all tones. I only obsess about some of them: my own and ones that I’m trying the emulate and cover.

This thread is like standing in a library and asking, “Do we really need more books?”. Fractal Audio authors new creations, and also offers constant improvements to their previous works. As a member of their audience, I don’t know how they do it, but I appreciate it.

No, all of us do not need every amp model or effect. But all of us need a different handful of them. We have our own preferred section in the library, but should recognize that others do as well. Recognizing my own relative level of illiteracy, I may not even know what I like or what I want, until its stumbled upon.

I see no logic, to advocating limitation.
I'm not advocating either way, my original post was merely commentary that no one is going to care as much about your tone as maybe you like to believe. Bring on the amps!

Of course great bass players make a huge difference, but my comment was regarding the tone--which even fewer people would even notice! ;)

Just making observations and having some fun. As always, rock on!

Last edited:
I'll never understand the resistance to wanting new amps. There are still plenty that aren't represented - that cliff himself or another amp expert might be able to get close by spending a long time deep tweaking and tone matching other models doesn't really negate the benefit of adding content. Why NOT add more recently designed amps/pedals? That "the audience won't know anyways" is a poor excuse - the audience won't know if I'm playing a POD for that matter. Does that mean I shouldn't want to use something specific for myself? I guess this argument comes from people who's primary gear is already represented, and they don't want to see fractal spend time adding things they won't personally use.

Example: it takes 3 parallel paths to do what the X7 pedal, one of the most popular modern bass pedals does. Add phase discrepancy in there and it's often frustratingly difficult to accomplish the same thing as the pedal. While it is possible to get a similar effect, it's not the same by any means and also requires a bunch of blocks and routing to accomplish.

Hi there, @northern_fox,

Maybe I can give some insight, in reply to your last post?

I'll never understand the resistance to wanting new amps. There are still plenty that aren't represented...

Hmm. Maybe there are some who resist new amps outright. But I'm not in that category. I suspect most of us who think Cliff can afford to deprioritize adding new amps aren't saying, "No, none, no more, never!"

It's more like: "How many people are clamoring for a Digitech FreqOut in the Axe III, vs. how many people are clamoring for a 20-watt B.C. Rich Devastator?" The former would seem to be a higher priority than the latter; so, if I discover the B.C. Rich showing up in a firmware when the FreqOut still hasn't yet, I'm going to think maybe time and effort could have been better-spent.

So that's the first hurdle an amp has to get over, before I find myself saying, "Wow, glad Cliff & Co. spent time giving us that!"

There's also a second hurdle it has to get over, before my enthusiasm brims-over in anticipation of a new amp. That hurdle is: "Is this new one unique enough that its sound (when fed through Cab XYZ, or when certain params are tweaked) even distinguishable from the sound of an existing amp (when it is fed through a slightly-different cab, perhaps, or when its params are tweaked in a slightly different way)?"

That last item may be hard-to-follow, so please read it carefully. The point is that unless they are amps which provide very unique tones, we may be approaching a point where 5 new amps amounts to little more than 5 new ways to make sounds you could already make. That's okay...IF you don't already know how to make them with the existing amps. But if you do, then you wonder if the time spent on the new amps couldn't have been better used.

Why NOT add more recently designed amps/pedals?
Oh, wait a sec, there. If you're adding pedals to the mix, you're changing the conversation!

My only objections to new amps traditionally have been because I'd rather have had a new other effect (i.e., a pedal). That means I wouldn't ever be heard objecting to both new amps and new pedals. I don't know of anyone who says that!

That "the audience won't know anyways" is a poor excuse - the audience won't know if I'm playing a POD for that matter.
Yeah, I agree. If someone says that, I would dispute it. I haven't ever objected on that basis. A happy player matters.

Example: it takes 3 parallel paths to do what the X7 pedal, one of the most popular modern bass pedals does. Add phase discrepancy in there and it's often frustratingly difficult to accomplish the same thing as the pedal. While it is possible to get a similar effect, it's not the same by any means and also requires a bunch of blocks and routing to accomplish.
Okay, now you and I are vociferously agreeing with one another. 🙂

It's precisely that kind of missing pedal that makes me wonder, "How many of the new amps from the last few updates would I have given up, to get the pedals we've Wish-Listed for a year or more?"

Now, let me stipulate:
  • We're spoiled, and shouldn't complain, and Fractal's awesome: I'm grateful for all the updates we get.
  • If we had both the pedals and the amps, I wouldn't begrudge anyone the extra amps, even if I think they're possibly redundant in sound sometimes.
So it's just matter of priority, for me.

Best to you,
-- Dr. D

Last edited:
I'm not advocating either way, my original post was merely commentary that no one is going to care as much about your tone as maybe you like to believe. Bring on the amps!

Of course great bass players make a huge difference, but my comment was regarding the tone--which even fewer people would even notice! ;)

Just making observations and having some fun. As always, rock on!
My fault, my comments intended as an addition, not any form of rebuttal. My only actual point, is that an individual does not need 300 amps (don’t tell my wife I said this!), but an entire population of us might need a large number to satisfy every individual. I’m just going to keep saying thanks.

Back
Top Bottom