Are most people using the AxeFX as their output DAC?

I'm rearranging my studio and gear hookups, and I'm looking for opinions on what output routing would be best suited for tracking, mixing, and casual everyday listening through my monitors. Hence, I'm new to running audio through the AxeFX via USB.

I have a hair of latency when I output the guitar live through my Mac's analog out via the DAW. As a result, sending the DAW output through the AxeFX seems to be the way to go to get a tight playing response.

Is this how most people output their routing for tracking?
Are people also feeding their powered monitors for mixing through the AxeFX output?
Can the AxeFX drive high-impedance headphones (I am thinking about ordering Sennheiser HD600 headphones.)?

I also have a firewire Alesis io14 that I could use as a DAC, but I am guessing that the AxeFX has better DACs in it and would be better as the everyday DAC for output to monitors?

I was using a Lavry DA10 which is amazing, but now I just use the Axe for my DA. I also use it for my AD. You can fine tune the latency so it works great, the only downside and it bugs the crap out of me is the sample rate being locked at 48khz. I love the axe because it has freed up so much gear in my racks and I actually sold a lot of my gear I dont use now, so it's win win for me.

Personally in a studio environment. No and no. But yes to high impedance headphones though at 300 ohm you may need a headphone amp or really need to crank the output for volume.
I use a dedicated interface with high-end ADC-DAC. Even if the AXE DAC matched it, it doesn't make sense in regards to flow configuration. Too many pieces of gear running through the interface.

In truth I actually convert 3 times when using the AXE (ADC-DAC-ADC). The 48k locked rate is a 100% deal breaker for using the AXE SPDIF for me. To me it is still one of the undeveloped aspects of the I/O.

I use a dedicated DAW interface (MOTU) and I switch to the Axe-FX USB only to record guitars, because it allows to record dry and processed tracks separately.

I used to run HD650 from the Axe-FX with no problems. Now I am using Audeze LCD-2 that are in a superior league.

I use a UA Apollo as my interface (very low latency). I then use the analog outputs of the Axe Fx into the inputs of the Apollo. I am able to reamp using this methodology as well (using the FX Loop block).

I didn't have much luck using the Axe as my main interface. Due to the problems with the Mac drivers, I ended up purchasing an RME Fireface 800. No stability issues at all anymore. RME is known for their top-notch drivers and the conversion is very good as well.

For guitar recording I'm using the axefx on the way in and a Benchmark DAC-1 for monitoring.

I've used the DAC1 for years and love it, however I'm going to experiment with using the fractal analogue outs straight to my monitors to see if it stands up to the Benchmark. From what I've heard from other people the D/A is excellent so maybe there'll be no need for the DAC1 in this setup.

Exactly. From a flow standpoint, configuration standpoint (especially when recording multiple musicians live), it makes much more sense to go into my ISA828, which is hardwired into my Rosetta 8. No patching, no software issues dealing with two interfaces, no clock contention and other issues. If I just had Live on a Laptop, and was JUST recording myself and overdubbing etc., I could (barely) see it (but the 48K is still an issue, especially when working with previously recorded 44.1 material). But in a real studio, with real interfaces, where the difference is negligible, it just ain't worth the trouble.
Personally in a studio environment. No and no. But yes to high impedance headphones though at 300 ohm you may need a headphone amp or really need to crank the output for volume.
I use a dedicated interface with high-end ADC-DAC. Even if the AXE DAC matched it, it doesn't make sense in regards to flow configuration. Too many pieces of gear running through the interface.

In truth I actually convert 3 times when using the AXE (ADC-DAC-ADC). The 48k locked rate is a 100% deal breaker for using the AXE SPDIF for me. To me it is still one of the undeveloped aspects of the I/O.

I didn't have much luck using the Axe as my main interface. Due to the problems with the Mac drivers, I ended up purchasing an RME Fireface 800. No stability issues at all anymore. RME is known for their top-notch drivers and the conversion is very good as well.
I use the RME DIGIFACE (studio) and MultiFace (Laptop w/PCI card) or the other way around... but either way, ROCK solid, and when putting MIDI through them, they are the ONLY interfaces that have never choked on my sustain pedal laden, 16th notes laden, 88 key workouts...

Back
Top Bottom