Are monitors ONLY meant for studio use?

Dude, you keep saying catch every flaw. They can only reproduce what they hear, bad or good!

Dude, you keep saying catch every flaw. They can only reproduce what they hear, bad or good!
@scottp

You can say the same thing about my headphones and AC10 tube amp but yet they sound better using the EXACT same preset settings on the AX8. After all are they not reproducing the same design of my preset? So why my monitors sound crappy and the others great? Cheap monitors?

@scottp

You can say the same thing about my headphones and AC10 tube amp but yet they sound better using the same preset on the AX8. After all are they not reproducing the same design of my preset? So why my monitors sound crappy and the others great?

Maybe it's how you have them hooked up, or some setting?
Have you tried to play recorded music through your monitors? At a loud volume? How does that sound?

I have 2 HeadRush 108's and love them for what they are. Price, weight, size, volume. I use the posted EQ curve a forum member posted.
I have 2 sets of studio monitors, 8" & 7".
Live I typically run stereo XLR's to FOH and use in ears. I love this! I have the ME-1 personal mixer to control my mix.
I have run stereo XLR's to FOH, and used 1 or 2 HeadRush for my personal monitors. And enjoy that.
I use headphones and in ears at home too when working on some presets.
I find good consistency with all these different options using AX8, FM3, FM9T, AF3.

Maybe it's how you have them hooked up, or some setting?
Have you tried to play recorded music through your monitors? At a loud volume? How does that sound?

I have 2 HeadRush 108's and love them for what they are. Price, weight, size, volume. I use the posted EQ curve a forum member posted.
I have 2 sets of studio monitors, 8" & 7".
Live I typically run stereo XLR's to FOH and use in ears. I love this! I have the ME-1 personal mixer to control my mix.
I have run stereo XLR's to FOH, and used 1 or 2 HeadRush for my personal monitors. And enjoy that.
I use headphones and in ears at home too when working on some presets.
I find good consistency with all these different options using AX8, FM3, FM9T, AF3.
@scottp
You seem to have a heavenly setup.. You must be loaded! hehe

If you had to pick for me to upgrade to better quality pair of monitors or keep my monitors and pick up two headrushes in stereo 108's which would you suggest?

I have a problem. I recorded a preset U2 Vertigo for my AX8 on my mackie cr4 multimedia monitors. The preset sounds amazing on my headphones and through my vox ac10 tube amp (I set it on clean (read: gain close to 0) so there's virtually no coloring with amp models put through it) using the AX8. But the presets sound like crap on my monitors in retrospect.

Is that supposed to be a good or bad thing? Are my monitors supposed to sound like crap so they catch every flaw? My monitors cost $250 CAD for a pair. I am wondering if I upgrade to Yamaha HS5 for $500 will it be much better sounding or sound even worse (read: catch even more flaws)?
Good studio monitors are designed to be flat and therefore quite uninspiring. At 250 bucks, I doubt you’re hearing the whole story. There are a few different approaches to crafting tones. Either craft your tones with the playback system you typically use (a PA or a speaker cab) or craft your tones on a good, flat monitoring system (could be headphones too) so it’ll translate well on a wide variety of systems.
You CAN craft your tones on your current monitors, but it will likely only sound Right on them. Test it. Write a patch that sounds great on those monitors. Record the tone. Play it back in the car and on earbuds. How’s it sound? If it works, it works but I suspect it won’t.
You CAN learn the defects in a set of monitors and compensate but to me that’s the long way around. Get good monitoring and they’ll last for decades and you’ll always hear the truth. I’m about to dive into some Adam S3H monitors, myself. My A7 monitors were bought at least 15 years ago and have not failed me yet.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions coming up in this thread. I think a lot of people buy into shoddy marketing more than they should.

Are my monitors supposed to sound like crap so they catch every flaw? My monitors cost $250 CAD for a pair. I am wondering if I upgrade to Yamaha HS5 for $500 will it be much better sounding or sound even worse (read: catch even more flaws)?

No, they're not supposed to sound like crap. That being said....250CAD speakers are not going to sound great. No, HS5s aren't a huge upgrade. I kind of think that, generally, the next step up is at around a grand for the set. But, that also doesn't mean that every $1,000 pair of speakers actually sounds good. And, I'll say it again, "studio monitor" is a marketing term, not anything to do with how the speakers actually sound. They're all just speakers with their own strengths and weaknesses and design compromises to hit a price point. There is no fundamental difference between what most people think of as studio monitors and what most people think of as hi-fi bookshelf speakers.

Audio Science Reviews has a lot of good information. And without knowing someone's preferences, this is actually a very good general ranking IME (sort decreasing by preference score):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/

Yeah, some designers like a sound that's brighter or warmer or scooped or forward or whatever. Some cones and box designs react more quickly than others, and yes, that can come across as harsh if the recording already tends that way. Some that react more slowly might smooth out some of that and cover up some of the harsh distortion that's in the recording.

But as far as some kind of change in a speaker that universally flatters everything....it just doesn't exist. I can't even imagine what about a speaker would flatter everything.

Harmon/JBL did a lot of research over the years, and that research is where the ASR "Preference Score" comes from. Generally, people tend to prefer speakers that are neutral (basically flat with a bit of a warm tilt compared to technically perfect) and quick-reacting but not supper-zippy (if that makes any sense).

As far as catching flaws...I don't even know where that idea came from. Maybe it was just NS-10s. But they were designed as hi-fi bookshelf speakers. They didn't have any bass, they were pretty efficient, and they had a sealed box that let most amps of the time control the cones in a really fast/zippy kind of way....so they tended toward exposing/exaggerating distortion and forced you to actually listen to the midrange as opposed to covering it up with impressive-sounding bass.

It could be that you just prefer the sound you're getting through headphones or your AC10 to what you're getting through those speakers. As for why....there are a LOT of potential reasons.

That's a really important question.
Good studio monitors are designed to be flat and therefore quite uninspiring.
That's flat-out false.

Most "studio monitors" are not flat. The good ones, generally, are somewhere between flat and warm tilted. But that doesn't describe all of them by any stretch of the imagination. It's insanely expensive to actually make an accurate/flat speaker, and "flat" does not necessarily mean uninspiring.

If you're listening quiet, a smile curve is probably going to sound better (and more inspiring).
If you're listening loud, that same smile curve is going to sound bad and a flatter sound is going to sound better (and more inspiring).
If you're listening too loud, a frown curve is probably going to sound best, though I don't think "too loud" is ever inspiring, at least not for how I define "too loud".

The difference between top-end studio speakers and top-end hi-fi speakers, apart from some companies on either side that like a particular "house curve" is in the marketing. B&Ws tend bright (even the expensive ones). ATC studio speakers tend to have an upper-mid bump. They are (or can be) insanely expensive, very highly regarded, and fundamentally flawed in different ways. And, frankly, I don't like and would not spend much money on either brand....and yes, I've heard 6-figure systems from both.

I have some relatively cheap B&Ws attached to my TV. They sound good there in that context. Just for S&G, a few years ago, I tried them in my treated studio space....and I don't think I've ever heard such harsh, uninspiring, terrible sounding speakers unless they were broken.

It doesn't really matter what it says on the box or the website. What matters is that the speakers you choose sound good when you play good recordings of music you like and if you're "working", sound bad when you play flawed recordings.

That's flat-out false.

Most "studio monitors" are not flat. The good ones, generally, are somewhere between flat and warm tilted. But that doesn't describe all of them by any stretch of the imagination. It's insanely expensive to actually make an accurate/flat speaker, and "flat" does not necessarily mean uninspiring.
Inspiring will mean different things to different people. To ME, hyped speakers will be more inspiring that accurate/flat speakers. I stand by GOOD (or by your assertion, "insanely expensive") studio monitors are designed to be flat and therefore, to ME, uninspiring in comparison to a set of "we make everything sound great" 500 dollar jobs commonly seen.

Here is the frequency response chart for the Adam S3H monitors I'm considering. Its pretty freggin flat, certainly flat enough for my ears. I'm betting if I get something sounding good on these, it'll translate on quite a wide variety of systems.

adam-audio-s3h-studio-monitor-frequency-response-1920x1463.png

uninspiring in comparison to a set of "we make everything sound great" 500 dollar jobs commonly seen.
That's actually what I'm objecting to.

I honestly can't imagine a frequency curve that accomplishes that "we make everything sound great" thing. It just doesn't exist.

Here is the frequency response chart for the Adam S3H monitors I'm considering. Its pretty freggin flat, certainly flat enough for my ears. I'm betting if I get something sounding good on these, it'll translate on quite a wide variety of systems.

View attachment 110704

I actually did try to look up spinorama measurements from them and didn't find anything. Maybe I just failed.

If you like them, you like them. And if you like other Adams, you probably will. But, a single curve like that doesn't actually show all that much. It seems like almost every nice studio monitor publishes a graph that looks an awful lot like that one...but when people take really detailed independent measurements (e.g., spinorama from a kippel scanner) that can pretty accurately predict the in-room response....it tells a different story.

This is the similar published graph for the S2V:
1667576608538.png

This is the predicted in-room response:
1667576625254.png

They're not that far off apart form the tilt, but they are not the same. And they are not flat. They probably do sound awesome, though. And I honestly don't think that statement would change whether you're using them in a studio or in a home theater.

Source (and other measurements): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-s2v-studio-monitor-review.11455/

I couldn't imagine using my 8" 3-Way monitors for a live show, but I have wondered if they would keep up with a loud drummer / full band in a small practice space. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom