Are just my ears?

GuttaLaser

Power User
I noticed that in the recorded tracks the reverb and the delay fxs are much more "wet" than the direct sound from the Axe (I use the Axe usb for recording and the Axe outs for direct monitoring when i play and then a firewire audio card for auditioning and postprod the daw tracks).
The prob is that the right amount of wet effects when i play is excessive when i'm listening the recorded tracks.
It's just me?

Are both of your outs set to Stereo? If one is set to mono, you might hear more than if the sound was spread out. I have the USB take the Out1 feed with is set to stereo, leaving my Out 2 to Copy L-R for my power amp and junk

Both the Axe and the daw are set to stereo and the monitor system is the same (mixer => amped FRFR monitors)

I noticed that in the recorded tracks the reverb and the delay fxs are much more "wet" than the direct sound from the Axe (I use the Axe usb for recording and the Axe outs for direct monitoring when i play and then a firewire audio card for auditioning and postprod the daw tracks).
The prob is that the right amount of wet effects when i play is excessive when i'm listening the recorded tracks.
It's just me?

I've noticed the same thing.

Perhaps it's because of what the room does to live sound. Maybe it's because you can give a recording your full attention, whereas live you are both playing and listening (chewing bubble gum and walking). I'm really not sure.

Terry.

Perhaps it's because of what the room does to live sound. Maybe it's because you can give a recording your full attention, whereas live you are both playing and listening (chewing bubble gum and walking). I'm really not sure.

Could be a combination of this and the fact the you're hearing the acoustic sound of the guitar while you're playing it and attributing that to the patch. This happens to me a lot when I make a new patch and listen to it recorded, it doesn't sound quite the same as it did when I was recording it.

Could be a combination of this and the fact the you're hearing the acoustic sound of the guitar while you're playing it and attributing that to the patch. This happens to me a lot when I make a new patch and listen to it recorded, it doesn't sound quite the same as it did when I was recording it.

Yup, I've noticed this as well. However, last night at volume I normally play - loud talking - the ambient sound of my guitar went away. My monitors have bass, low mid, and treble sliders on the back, and reducing the bass and low mids a notch settled the room response, and brought out the tone of things. I was getting discouraged, and am now quite happy.

I don't strum very hard, though.

Last edited:
my monitoring system is a "little" PA (600watt per speaker; enough for exploding everything in midsized club!).
So yez... enough (and the same) volume while i'm playing and when i'm listening!
I think this kind of effect is related to something like the "psyco-perception" of the sound.
Is a well known effect like the rifle shoot of the hunter: another person can ear the shoot more loud and "clear" than the hunter.
When we are playing we are concentrated to the notes not to the tail of the sound; while we are listening our "brain and ear setting" change and we pay more attention to the sound quality.
But this effect is heavily present also when i'm tweacking the sound before starting the track recording... then when i'm listening the reverb and the delay are far more wet than before.

maybe something is loss in the D/A conversion process? I mean the USB sound is more Hi-Fi than the analog outs sound?

maybe something is loss in the D/A conversion process? I mean the USB sound is more Hi-Fi than the analog outs sound?

Yes, might be that (not sure though). Did you try to record directly from the Axe? So no USB. Just output 1 L and R to your soundcard. Curious if you hear the same thing when you do that.
I always record directly and never use USB for my recordings.

Back
Top Bottom