Are Jay Mitchell's far-field IRs downloadable from anywhere?

I thought the difference was 2048 as opposed to 1024...isnt that a bit of difference (quality, not compatibility...) am i off base?
The difference is 1024 vs 2040, but for a lot of IRs the extra samples are not that important unless you run in low res (e.g. stereo). An exception is acoustic IRs (look at post 15 on Uploading IR's to axe 2 for an example). So I prefer to convert from the original wav files, which usually have more than 1024 samples, but even when limited to a g1 syx file the quality is no worse than with the Axe I.

1$ per IR theyd sell like hot cakes
I've corresponded with Jay on this (in order to encourage him to release his IRs), and it sounds like he is headed in that direction. My interpretation is that, instead of using a scattergun approach and releasing hundreds of different combinations of mics and mic positions, he will probably release a small number of carefully selected and processed IRs. Personally I think that would be a Good Thing.

IMHO, Mike at RedWirez has set expectations way too low with his pricing structure. Kevin at OwnHammer is attempting to sell IRs at a price that allows him to stay in business. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay set a price that he thinks is reasonable given his expertise; I have no idea what he is thinking in terms of price, but I don't expect it to have anything to do with what RW or OH charge.

I've corresponded with Jay on this (in order to encourage him to release his IRs), and it sounds like he is headed in that direction. My interpretation is that, instead of using a scattergun approach and releasing hundreds of different combinations of mics and mic positions, he will probably release a small number of carefully selected and processed IRs. Personally I think that would be a Good Thing.

That will be AWESOME!

On my iMac under 10.7 I had to use Stuffit Expander to properly open the archive.

Merely clicking to expand it via Archive Utility caused it to loop as you describe...

Try a different program to expand it...

On my iMac under 10.7 I had to use Stuffit Expander to properly open the archive.

Merely clicking to expand it via Archive Utility caused it to loop as you describe...

Try a different program to expand it...
Thanks! That did it. Wow so many goodies now:D

This would be great ,I own red wire and ownhammer and I do find I get ear fatigue trying to go thought all the combination's. I just want sound Like I,m playing in front of a speaker cab,yes I know thats being general. I,m not a engineer .I,m a guitar player .And thanks for the link antcarrier. The v-30 old has some great cabs.

Especially great if the IR's also come with notes for setting the Amp Block parameters too. Specifically the Spkr page parameters.

But other Amp Block parameters that are relavent to using the IR would be nifty too :)

Richard

I downloaded the above referenced Zip file.
It is LOADED with IRs. Does anyone know the source of these (are they all JM)?

I downloaded the above referenced Zip file.
It is LOADED with IRs. Does anyone know the source of these (are they all JM)?
At least some of them look to have come from the old AxeChange, but I don't know where the others came from. There are a few from Jay Mitchell that include his name in the title.

It looks like all are in G1 format. Looks like a job for AxeOMatic.

I thought the difference was 2048 as opposed to 1024...isnt that a bit of difference (quality, not compatibility...) am i off base?
Above 1024 there's no audible difference for the sound of a cab alone with guitar frequencies. I've made some calculations that show that 2040 might have some slight advantages for the lowest notes on bass guitar.

Last edited:
Above 1024 there's no audible difference for the sound of a cab alone with guitar frequencies. I've made some calculations that show that 2040 might have some slight advantages for the lowest notes on bass guitar.

I'm not sure I really track with this statement. An IR can include room and other ambient elements such as resonance of the cab (think solid pine) that extend to more than 21 ms. Those would be lost in an IR which is truncated to 1024 samples. Or am I missing data?

You do get room ambience in longer IRs, but a reflection free FF IR will have no room ambience anyway. The reasoning behind this being this is that you are already in a room, and adding extra reflections from a longer IR will not be beneficial to achieving the 'amp in the room' sound. I wouldn't have a clue about pine resonance...

Last edited:
I agree with antcarrier (always wanted to say that). You don't want room ambience in speaker IRs, regardless of whether they are NF or FF. OTOH, room IRs need to be much longer than the AxeFx supports in order to be effective. I would use room IRs in my DAW, not live (even if I could).

Last edited:
Can someone explain what a far field IR is and what its benefits may be? I am guessing its the sound of a cab farther away then a few feet? ARe nf and ff to be mixed? ARe the for live situations vs recording? Im clueless, I know not the first time...

The direct sound of a speaker cab at 2 meters is quite different than at 1" or 6". A far field IR captures the direct sound at (for example) 2 meters. You can use a FF IR any time you would use a NF; live or recorded. I prefer the sound of a NF and a FF together. It's a bit of an oversimplification, but compared to the combination, a NF alone sounds two-dimensional, while a FF alone lacks some definition.

As a guitar player, you generally stand in the room with your amp on floor or an amp stand etc.

Your ears, as you perform, are not 1" cap edge from the speaker :)

The far field concept talked about here is about the resulting IR sounding "natural" i.e. your ear would hear the sound typical of standing next to a cabinet with the same speaker in it. You ears are "in the far field".

The close miking or near field techniques first arose to prevent instrument bleed over during multitrack recording or live performances. As time went on it became the "accepted" sound... what our ears grew used to. And is used on countless recordings etc.

It is possible with the AxeFx though, to use a far field IR and be able to get back to the more natural sound, without worrying about microphone bleed.

Richard

Last edited:
Please note... VERY important.. it is NOT "room" that a FF brings. It is timbre that is not possible via (simple) EQing. A *proper* FF cab IR will have no room reflections. A NF IR will capture the character of the speaker, but the cab and positional aspect are absent. A *perfect* FF cab IR of your personal cab could come very close to replicating the experience of playing through that cab when using a FRFR system. (IMO) A NF IR will only provide a mic'd tone, as that is what it is. If you have tracked guitar in a studio, and done so with your cab in a live room, Iso booth, etc while you sit in the control room hearing your mic'd sound, then you have (essentially) experienced what a NF IR provides.

IMO, this is one reason why so many modeler users find a real cab is preferable in many situations; often, recording tone with that NF is fine though.

IMO.

so are ownhammers promised new blends a potential solution eg. the best of both worlds? It also sounds like essentially like nf are for "recorded" sounds (as we are used to) and for that amp in the room feel perhaps a combination is best, in the frfr world. Has anyone come up with a mix of the few farfields (Jays) and NF all others for some good tones, esp of course high gain? How would one do this best on the axe, series cabs parallel? Im sure there are no wrong answers but ideally?

Back
Top Bottom