Are Fractal's efforts well directed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to tweak my delay mix at my gig on the fm9. With no manual and little experience using the screen and knobs, I was able to get it done with a little effort. Really not the big deal it’s made out to be.

Exactly. I was adjusting drives and delays at my recent practice while band was still playing. Made out to be a much bigger deal than it is. And I'm an amp and pedals guy, no rack gear experience at all.

To answer the original question: Yes.

I’ve said this something like this before. I do not have the vision or know how to do the things Fractal does. I have no idea what might be next and I just eager to find out.

"Well directed"?

Fractal is a very small company that kicks the butt of its competition when it comes to the quality of the sound, the features, the depth of the modeling, the rapid release of updates, and how they listen to the users. I have absolutely no complaints about what they're doing.

So, are they "well directed"? In comparison to their competition, I'd say they excel. Sure, there are things people want that aren't in the firmware but I think that is the result of being small, and everyone doing the multiple jobs they do. If they had a huge staff everyone could focus on one thing, and maybe they'd get more done, but, having spent years developing software in big teams and teams of one, I don't believe that large teams are more productive, because they get in each other's way.

"Are Fractal's efforts well directed?"

In my view, yes; I have been, and I continue to be, very impressed with this company, the decisions made by its management, and the Axe-Fx III. I am grateful that I have an Axe-Fx III to play through, and I hope Fractal's efforts continue to be as well directed.

I would say they are very well directed. Though I don't have any Randall models like the rg100-ES or the Century 200, I have tons to have me realizing that there's never been a better platform for guitar players in history. Simple as that. Cliff is a rare genius I'm happy to be a client of.

Cliff, can we please get a rotary dial on this thing? I'm tired of having to push buttons and turn knobs that don't return to their original position. Also, why doesn't this thing have more keyboard amps? And a fuckin digital trombone?
phone GIF

I own Fractal products for precisely one reason:

They sound the best.

Full stop.

I don't care about touch screens, I don't care about graphics, I don't care how the unit looks, I care about sound. We're in the business of making sounds with guitars, the AxeFX could look like a freakin' potato for all I care, if it still sounded the best.

You want toys, well... there are plenty on the market. Go have fun.

I own Fractal products for precisely one reason:

They sound the best.

Full stop.

I don't care about touch screens, I don't care about graphics, I don't care how the unit looks, I care about sound. We're in the business of making sounds with guitars, the AxeFX could look like a freakin' potato for all I care, if it still sounded the best.

You want toys, well... there are plenty on the market. Go have fun.
As a decade long vegetarian I approve this message.

Just proves the saying:
"You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

There's another saying that comes to mind:
"Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

There's been a few comments recently questioning how or why FAS does things, as if they are beholden to shareholders or board. Outside of the warranty, FAS is under no obligation to do anything after the sale. Everything we get after purchasing a unit is only due to their passion, dedication and generosity.

I'm all for wishing for things but recently there's been a rather big shift to criticism. Maybe a little more gratitude is in order.

As I got my FM3 I also thought that the design looks a bit outdated.
But now I prefer it because it is bullet proof and functional and on stage - no one, except band members see the device and its design or cares about it.
I never want a touchscreen on a device I use on stage.
I prefer dedicated knobs and don't want fingerprints on screen where different or bad lights can come from any direction, causing issues reading the informations on screen.
And in addition - a defective knob is cheaper and easier to replace than a defective touchscreen.

Last edited:
As I got my FM3 I also thoght that the design looks a bit outdated.
But now I prefer it because it is bullet proof and functional and on stage - no one, except band members see the device and its design or cares about it.
I never want a touchscreen on a device I use on stage.
I prefer dedicated knobs and don't want fingerprints on screen where different or bad lights can come from any direction, causing issues reading the informations on screen.
And in addition - a defective knob is cheaper and easier to replace than a defective touchscreen.
A touchscreen definitely opens up the potential for some real world use wonkiness.

Just proves the saying:
"You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

There's another saying that comes to mind:
"Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

There's been a few comments recently questioning how or why FAS does things, as if they are beholden to shareholders or board. Outside of the warranty, FAS is under no obligation to do anything after the sale. Everything we get after purchasing a unit is only due to their passion, dedication and generosity.

I'm all for wishing for things but recently there's been a rather big shift to criticism. Maybe a little more gratitude is in order.
I appreciate Axefx as best of breed modeller. And I'm grateful for the business model that FAS pioneered 1st, which benefits both customers looking for value throughout the product lifespan, as well as serving FAS' obligations as a business and employer, but, this idea that there's free gold raining down from the heavens, for which we all must bow down humbly in constant praise and unending gratitude is just ... well ... seems overthetop (ya - it's gold, but free gold? hmmm) - it's a great product + model for updates, and a great company, that serves it's customers well - and a great group of customers, who provide FAS with great insight, to facilitate their planning.

Last edited:
It's extremely feature rich and sounds great. I'd hazard the guess that many of our great discoveries and technologies are directed by the interests/obsessions of our great minds. So whatever direction inspiration takes these developments, I'm happy to be along for the ride.

I despise touch screens as someone with highly acidic sweat that etches screens in no time. Also, I despised that combo data wheel and joystick on the Helix.

From my perspective, Fractal seems to be directing their efforts well.

If you look at the FW notes, exposed parameters, sound clips, playing feel of Axe-FX II through III and compare it to any of the major players during that time, who do you think has a better product evolution and development over the same time period?

For me, Fractal has been crushing the competition.

Why do you think that I stopped supporting the Helix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom