Are FCB1010 Expression pedals good enough

HarrySound

Power User
Using an AXE XL+ with a FCB1010 for all controls and wah.
The problem I have is probably one from habit coming from using a real spring loaded Morley Tremonti wah.
I think the Fractal wahs actually sound better but I tend to gently move the expression pedal while playing just to add colour to the sound.
I'm using Auto engage but quite often i'll be playing a solo or something and i'll slowly move the expression pedal up to the half cocked possition and then move it gently some more, only to realise the wah hasn't kicked in at all and it needs a good jerk for it to engage.

I guess my question is, is this a problem with the FCB1010s design ( i'm not asking if it's faulty) in that it just can't register tiny movements or do I need to look at reprogramming the thing and would buying a spring loaded Mission pedal eliminate this. Or is this something that happens on most expression pedals? Or is there a setting in the Axe itself that might help?

3rd Tip:

Sell it and buy some proper controller :)

Just kidding, fcb 1010 is awesome for what it costs. I had one for a long time, and you can do 80% of things on Axe even without third party eprom (eureka prom, uno, etc...). But your problem with expression pedals will remain, I am afraid. Even if You recalibrate them, and all, they are just poor design, and they are not very accurate, they just don't feel right, at least for me.

EDIT: I think You should post this to subform "Other MIDI controllers"

Oh sorry didn't realise there was a sub forum.
I'll try calibrating again but it looks to me like i can even fool the FCB1010 itself into thinking i haven't actually moved the pedal if I do it slowly enough. It's really bloody distracting. I am actually using the uno chip too...
I was just now testing it out and I can move the expression pedal all the way up slowly enough for wah to never engage. I just think the they don't the mustard.

Is it possible to confirm that a Mission pedal would not do this?

How is auto engage set up. Is it set for position or speed? if it is set for position you may have a pedal issue. I have used an fcb a fair amount and never had this problem.

I've seen someone mod theirs by putting a long screw and torsion spring in one of the pedals. Seems pretty easy to do. I don't use wah enough with my current gig to do this myself, as I also came from the spring loaded Morley Bad Horsie 2.

How is auto engage set up. Is it set for position or speed? if it is set for position you may have a pedal issue. I have used an fcb a fair amount and never had this problem.
I didn't realise there was an option other than the default 5% I have it set to.

the 5% is for start position. Up in the top of the modifier window you can select if auto in gauge works with slow pos, med pos, slow speed, fast speed, ect.

the 5% is for start position. Up in the top of the modifier window you can select if auto in gauge works with slow pos, med pos, slow speed, fast speed, ect.

That's it!
I naturally thought the slow and fast spd was the speed in which the Wah would disengage after the threshold was broken.
I set it to position and it's working as planned.
Good man, you just saved me £120!

the FCB uses a flimy plastic foil that goes from translucent to completely dark. Translucency is measured at some point. Moving the pedal changes translucency at the measuring point and thus the CC value....But as stated by others: this is not as accurate as other modes of measuring.... Nothing beats the bang for the buck you get with the FCB , although there are several better (and costlier) exceptions available.

If you keep using the FCB, consider the UNO eprom and phantom power mod. Easy to do, and it makes the unit so much more usable IMHO.

Old link with pics for phantom power mod: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fcb1010-phantom-power-mod.26380/

As I said i've already got the UNO mod installed. That Phanom power mod might be something I look at though because I hate wall adapters, less is way better.

There's no magic bullet that will help you like the FCB exp pedals, to make them feel more like a real traditional wah pedal. They are what they are: a really inexpensive alternative that works. I've found them to work well-enough as to not warrant getting other external pedals, but that's just me, and everyone has their own preferences WRT to their pedals. I'd say that if they aren't working great, then get a Mission or Fractal pedal and wire it to the 1/4" exp input on the back of your unit, and continue to use the other exp pedals for less critical stuff. You can really do a lot with those exp pedals, if programmed creatively.

I have the FCB1010. If you are thinking about phantom power, take a look at this option from Eureka - http://www.eurekasound.com/midimizer

I allows you to have only one cable from Axe to FCB. Easy peasey. You would need to add a panel-mount DC jack on the rear of your FCB near the midi connectors. You can get them for less than $1 on eBay.

Last edited:
I have the FCB1010. If you are thinking about phantom power, take a look at this option from Eureka - http://www.eurekasound.com/midimizer

I allows you to have only one cable from Axe to FCB. Easy peasey. You would need to add a panel-mount DC jack on the rear of your FCB near the midi connectors. You can get them for less than $1 on eBay.
I never knew about this! Super awesome! This is way easier than the other phantom power mods I've seen.

3rd Tip: Sell it and buy some proper controller :)

+1

Your mileage may vary but I had one... bought both the Eureka and UNO proms... for the price, it's a great tool but, frankly, the expression pedals are the primary reason I sold it for an MFC and EV-1 pedals. I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. It was a move into a very different price point though! :)

FCB1010 expression pedals are ok for most uses, but the sweep is not the smoothest. Mine both had a bit of a hitch in the middle of the sweep. Nothing terrible, but you could hear it when doing slow volume swells. As others have stated, for the money you won't find a better option. Having since upgraded to an MFC-101 and two modded Ernie Ball Jr. expression pedals, the difference in quality is night and day as you would expect. The EBJr pedals are so much smoother throughout the pedal sweep.

Open the pedal and clean the pvc strip that slides in the optocoupler. I clean it every 3 years as it tends to pick up moisture. At 5% autoengage the exp pedal should work flawless (does for me for years. Of course you can calibratre also, it won't harm anyway.

This, however, still requires performing (part of) the phantom power mod on the FCB...just to be clear

I use an FCB1010, and ive had to adjust the pedal modifiers very slightly, it wasn't reaching 100, getting to like 98, and starting at like 3or 4.. so just some adjusting and you'll be fine. I like them personally I think they work great.

also I have an Eureka Eprom

Back
Top Bottom