Are All XL+ Units Equal?

CactusTone

Inspired
OK, so I'm ready to get slammed for this one, but. . .

Do all Axe XL+ units sound exactly the same? Is there ever one that stands out in the crowd?

Totally happy with mine, but can't stop wondering.

No, some of them have that extra "mojo". Maybe you have one, maybe you don't. It depends on who built it and what they had for lunch that day. If they had a steak-and-cheese there's a good chance it has some extra mojo. If they had a salad, then probably not.

I like salads but mine definitely has extra steak/cheese mojo. It could be that I consult the farmers almanac and make sure the proper signs are in when programming new presets.

No, some of them have that extra "mojo". Maybe you have one, maybe you don't. It depends on who built it and what they had for lunch that day. If they had a steak-and-cheese there's a good chance it has some extra mojo. If they had a salad, then probably not.

Haha... My XL is the steak-and-cheese one! It has the mojo all the way up! And it sounds better day by day...

My personal unit was built by a guy who ate a steak bomb with extra cheese and mayo that day. Very greasy tone.

And on a Wednesday no doubt; the sweet spot of the Bell curve for units produced/week that have that little extra care built in. Must be a lunch special on steak bombs that day...

OK, so I'm ready to get slammed for this one, but. . .

Do all Axe XL+ units sound exactly the same? Is there ever one that stands out in the crowd?

Totally happy with mine, but can't stop wondering.

The analog parts of circuit, that could change the sound between units, are assumed using high quality components, which means very low noise, distortion and small deviations from nominal values. Those deviations still won't be audible because of the circuit design and the nature of the problem it addresses.

I would be really disappointed if I knew there were any audible differences between units. In my understanding, it would means bad design, parts, production. But we all know that we are in the opposite way. Fractal rocks!

Oh yeah, mine definitely has it! I'd venture to say that whoever made mine had ribeye with apple-smoked bacon and caramelized onions done in an iron skillet with a double IPA to wash it all down.

Fine go ahead and laugh but I think this guy is on to something. For example, that Guthrie G. dude plays through his and I don't sound anything like him when I play through mine. Obviously the Brass gave him a better one because he's from Europe and they want to sell more there.

Why would think that? Not slamming you but I'm curious.
Just curious because I know that tubes amps made with the exact same specs, from the same run, each can sound different. I also know that computers can be made with the exact same specs, and some run faster than others. There seem to be differences between "equally created" units.

Like I said, I'm totally happy with my XL+, and was just curious. Cheers!

I also know that computers can be made with the exact same specs, and some run faster than others. There seem to be differences between "equally created" units.

That was true way back when, but I don't think so much today. I remember, back in the day, the mini-computer systems we worked with, like DEC VAX systems, PDP's and Honeywell Bull DPS-6, and so on, all had personalities. I think there was a lot of hand wiring on those units, and some were just awesome and ran like tanks, and others were duds. Once place I worked had a DPS-6 that didn't care if the computer room temperature soared to 80 degrees, and we had a customer whose "identical" unit would crash within a day or two if the temperature ever inched over 67 degrees.

Nowadays, we're running equipment 1000 times more powerful, and it's just a commodity. I know longer even care what brand of hardware we have racked up, cause there's no practical difference. (At least in my opinion).

This question was valid if Axe FX was an analog device.
But in case of digital devices: Imagine you have two new Samsung G7 phones and you played the same mp3 through them, through the same headphones. How different the tone can be?...

I know for a fact that my unit processes zeros a little faster & more accurately than the ones, which does give a slightly sweeter harmonic content than my friends with the exact same settings.
But really only noticeable in a side by side comparison & in recordings.

My main circuit board is signed by this guy, no doubt after a Soju binge in Seoul or QOTSA peyote ritual. Yours can't touch it.

Back
Top Bottom