April Wine 1972 - What Amp/Cab is the Rhythm Guitar Playing

I couldn’t tell from the fuzzy video but I’ll guess a Traynor or Garnet because: Canadian oldies.

I am using Friedman BE V1 with OH GNR 412 cabs and getting close. What amp model gets me close to a traynor? I don't recall one. I don't find it in @yek guide either.

I am using Friedman BE V1 with OH GNR 412 cabs and getting close. What amp model gets me close to a traynor? I don't recall one. I don't find it in @yek guide either.
Traynor’s were largely Marshall clones but with HUGE transformers and really heavy duty bullet turret boards. We don’t really have the Major or the Bass models that Traynor copied. I’d try an JM45 and then futz with the power amp settings — really give it headroom. And then hit it with the Bender Fuzz.

Traynor’s were largely Marshall clones but with HUGE transformers and really heavy duty bullet turret boards. We don’t really have the Major or the Bass models that Traynor copied. I’d try an JM45 and then futz with the power amp settings — really give it headroom. And then hit it with the Bender Fuzz.
Thanks. Will play with those settings.

Bender Fuzz is nice! The Brit JM 45 Model works as well as the '59 Bassguy. They have different power amp tubes however. How do I tweak a power amp for headroom?
On the '59 Bassguy I'd:
  • Turn Cathode Follower Compression way down
  • Turn down XFormer Match, but go easy here -- a little goes a long way
  • Turn down XFormer Drive
  • Bring the Variac up above 100% a bit
That's where I'd start...follow your ears, as always.

On the '59 Bassguy I'd:
  • Turn Cathode Follower Compression way down
  • Turn down XFormer Match, but go easy here -- a little goes a long way
  • Turn down XFormer Drive
  • Bring the Variac up above 100% a bit
That's where I'd start...follow your ears, as always.
Thanks. I will try that in the morning. If i get it real close, maybe ill share a patch. Have to propagate some of my homeland "Canadian" sounds ... the more the better! The traynor is actually still around even now I think.

Ah, April Wine... Live at the El Mocambo is such a fantastic album and GREAT guitar playing. Unfortunately my reissue CD sounds shitty compared to the original mixes on the record. :-/

You Could have been a Lady.

What amp is in the video @ 0:27 on the right hand side of the screen?

That amp may not be the actual amp used for the song. Pretty sure they’re lip syncing in the video. The recording sounds too perfect and too close to the studio version. The mic’s aren’t plugged in either. :)

That amp may not be the actual amp used for the song. Pretty sure they’re lip syncing in the video. The recording sounds too perfect and too close to the studio version. The mic’s aren’t plugged in either. :)
Could be! It’s a Marshall sound. I think Ian is right that it was probably a Traynor in the early days. They are still touring!!!! I am getting very close with the Bassman 59 and some of the settings @iaresee recommended however! In most of the covers we do i use my own tones. For this one I am trying to get the vintage tone!

Could be! It’s a Marshall sound. I think Ian is right that it was probably a Traynor in the early days. They are still touring!!!! I am getting very close with the Bassman 59 and some of the settings @iaresee recommended however! In most of the covers we do i use my own tones. For this one I am trying to get the vintage tone!

I’ve seen them a few times over the years...great band and great music! Great guitar, vocals and...cow bell! I have their greatest hits box set and it’s just one great song after another.

Sadly though, I think they’re reason for my Tinitus. I saw them at The Pines, in Bridgenorth back in the 90’s and it was so loud for such a small venue. I remember my ears felt like they were bleeding. I should have left, but I didn’t. Shortly after I remember watching TV late at night and hearing a high pitched sound. I thought it was the TV, but it wasn’t. Live and learn.

I’ve seen them a few times over the years...great band and great music! Great guitar, vocals and...cow bell! I have their greatest hits box set and it’s just one great song after another.

Sadly though, I think they’re reason for my Tinitus. I saw them at The Pines, in Bridgenorth back in the 90’s and it was so loud for such a small venue. I remember my ears felt like they were bleeding. I should have left, but I didn’t. Shortly after I remember watching TV late at night and hearing a high pitched sound. I thought it was the TV, but it wasn’t. Live and learn.
Yes. They are LOUD! Bring hearing protection :cool:

Looks like an Ampeg V4 setup I had back about that same time. Sounded awesome turned up, but would take your head off at that volume.
It does look like it visually. The bass player looks like SVT cabinet. This is in fractal models and @yek guide for amps. Il’l check it out. I went to a rehearsal studio in Etobicoke recently that had some of these I think.

Back
Top Bottom