Apreciation for the Cab Preamp and the Axe.

jrayjr

Inspired
Howdy,

the title says it all, I used them most of the time but until now with kinda low not in the "red" drive settings.

So, yesterday i tried some Standart Presets and landed on the Plexi 50W patch with the High 1 Amp selected,
and i was absolutely blown away how badass the overdrive especialy on the wound strings and low E sounds.

Like an explosion of the Notes...I looked into the blocks and "tadaa" there the Vintage Cab Preamp it was doing it, this is fucking amazing.

Going to use it from now on way more in this context, ahh fractal really makes my eyes wet every other weekend,
if i get to play tones i only heared on tunes or i have in my head and couldnt get out.

(some Jimi live tones which is a topic in itself, came around and really made me shed a sea of tears of joy, unbelivable experience)

If someone asks, i just try to make tones to play, which sound as if they where live, including the fact that we listen to tape recordings on Jimis old Live Bootlegs, meaning for exsample: Hall Reverbs setup like as if you are really playing in a Hall, and not just as reverb in background,
warmer thicker Plexi tones, etc).

And as i really dont like lots of treble / harshness, even tho i love the Plexis, endless possiblitys to dial that out / to taste.

The Axe for me is like a goosebump making Guitar Platform from heaven lol.... :tearsofjoy:

Ok thats all, enjoy your weekend fellows! =)

Last edited:
That’s really awesome. I haven’t found great settings with these on my super brutal high gain tones, but I imagine it really helps to mimic some beloved tones you hear on albums. It makes perfect sense along with the cab and mic placement that you also have a nice mic preamp on there.

I just wish it was a separate "Mic Preamp" block that you could use on its own or put it after two cab blocks to save some CPU performance. I think it's flexible enough that it could work as both a unique drive/EQ block or as a master preamp sim and EQ for cabs.

Totally agree and LOVE this section in the cab block. It is that extra little seasoning that I add to my tones and it's just so satisfying. Makes some 80's tones have just the right sizzle. Love this unit!

Do you guys run the pre values to RED or just add a bit between 3-4?
I know it's the basic answer, but.... I do whatever sounds good lol. Sometimes that's 1 sometimes that's 5. I also think it heavily depends on the preamp type, and the overall amp/cab combo.

I use these setting a lot. For me the real magic is in the BMT settings there. I will set those at really aggressive settings to get alternate tracks i can blend in. It gives an endless supply of unique tones to work with.

I use these setting a lot. For me the real magic is in the BMT settings there. I will set those at really aggressive settings to get alternate tracks i can blend in. It gives an endless supply of unique tones to work with.
i also love the BMT, cutting a bit the "M" gets rid of lots of nasty stuff depending on the IR

That’s really awesome. I haven’t found great settings with these on my super brutal high gain tones, but I imagine it really helps to mimic some beloved tones you hear on albums. It makes perfect sense along with the cab and mic placement that you also have a nice mic preamp on there.
Try the “transformer” preamp. It seems to tighten up my heavier tones.

Do you guys run the pre values to RED or just add a bit between 3-4?

It depends. Quite often, depending on the selected preamp and the purpose of the preset, going to red spoils the tone. Better use the ears.

Last edited:
I Love the Modern preamp at high quality. It sounds similar to an API preamp IMO.
My settings on it depend on the preset, but I usually keep things between 2 and 4 on the level and 0.5 and 2 on the saturation.
I always use the low cut and high cut in here rather than in the cab part of the block.

I do not use the eq here because if the tone isn't quite right at this point, I try another cab or tweak something in the amp block.

James

I just bought a pair of Neve 542 and am running stereo out of the Axe3 into these babies.. they are stunning! I plan to do some comparison audio and I’ll post it up soon. But in general it seems like they widen the sound stage and add a depth. Not in a subtle way either.. these things are gold. Especially once you get used to them, when turned off it feels like a huge loss in sound quality. They are spendy though! Would be amazing if they could be modeled. The cab block modeling does not seem anywhere close to this. I’m sure cliff could do it if anyone could Though72321D1B-B9CD-48E0-B268-04F2243B6E77.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of Neve 542 and am running stereo out of the Axe3 into these babies.. they are stunning! I plan to do some comparison audio and I’ll post it up soon. But in general it seems like they widen the sound stage and add a depth. Not in a subtle way either.. these things are gold. Especially once you get used to them, when turned off it feels like a huge loss in sound quality. They are spendy though! Would be amazing if they could be modeled. The cab block modeling is not even anywhere close to this. I’m sure cliff could do it if anyone could ThoughView attachment 108231
Nice console!
The schematics are available.
1662939515851.png
Fo a copy send a PM to BasketCaseAudio at GearSpace
https://gearspace.com/board/geekzone/768300-neve-542-34128-schematic.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom