Appropriate for use of only the effects?

DFauvre

Inspired
I love my Fractal Axe FX III, particularly for recording, you can hear it here on a demo for my upcoming '80s style rock album. This was done entirely with the Fractal Axe FX III for all guitar tones.

Now the fly in the ointment. Although I love recording with the Axe III, for practicing, writing, jamming, anything live that is not in a venue, it always leaves something missing to my ears. I've tried Atomics, XiTones FRFR cabs, I've tried buy pesets and cab packs. Yes, it all sounds super cool, and compared to my new Mesa Boogie Triple Crown TC-100 through my EVH 4x12 cab with celestials...well, the real deal blows it away. However, as I said, for recording purposes, in a mix, I can't tell the difference between the Fractal and a mic on a kiler amp.

So, to my question, now that I've gone back to using a real high end tube amp, I need effects pedals. Is the FM-3, an appropriate choice if I will NOT be using the amp and cab presets with my new Mesa Boogie head?

Are you going to be using it to change channels on the amp? as the FM3 does not have analog relays so it would have to be done via Midi. The FX8 was designed specifically for this, though you would have to hunt one down as they are not made any longer. Other options would be Line 6 HX effects pedal.

Pete Thorn does a great vid on his PT-15 with an HX effects pedal just to see how it all works together.

There is some other useful information in this thread as well!

Have you tried playing thru a real cab?

Comparing the Fractal products thru FRFR to real amps thru real cabs is an apples to oranges comparison.

The modeled signal chain includes speaker into a microphone into a mic preamp. Very different than hearing a real speaker cab in the room.

You might find that you can have the best of both worlds.

Sure, why not use FM3 for effects? The effects of it are great.
Though, you might want to get a midi to relay adapter, so you can change the channels on your amp with the FM3 too.

Btw, you are not getting the same experience from the Axe FX as you do from your Mesa boogie, because listening to a mic'ed up cab and a cab directly is a very different thing. If you want a more similar experience, either connect the FM3 to the FX return of your mesa (Turn off PA and cab modelling), then to your real cab, or get yourself a transparent solid state power amp (turn off Cab modelling) and then to your real cab.

Thing about FRFR is that on bigger stages, the audience doesn't really hear your real cab. They only hear the mic'ed cab signal. In that case, having a cab on stage isn't really beneficial... Going direct with the FM3 is such a convenience.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom