Apple you're losing me.....

I don't really understand the hate with iTunes. I've been using it since 05 when I got my first Mac and never really have much issue with it.

It's gotten to the point now with iCloud that I never plug my phone into the computer, never need to manage anything through iTunes, etc etc. My music library just stays the same on all my devices. My phone has enough space that I just have it download everything automatically, but if I didn't it's also super easy to just select whatever particular things to download. Personally I don't really like the windows/Android model of drag and drop, SD cards and manual librarian duties. Just seems like a lot of extra work to me.

I've switched back to Android a few times over the years but it never lasts long before I get bored with it and go back to the iPhone. It always seems appealing to have the higher level of customization, open to whatever apps etc etc. But I've come to the point that I just want my phone to accomplish the tasks I need and do it easily and reliably... Personally I've had greater success with apple on that front than I ever had with Android.

The iPad I never really found a use for until I got the 9.7" iPad pro with the keyboard case a few years ago. That thing has been incredible for all things from music to entertainment and work. Once Microsoft put the office sweet on iOS it was a whole new ball game for the iPad being productive. My kid shattered it a few weeks ago and I'm devastated haha.

Well, one issue is that the iTunes experience on a Mac and Windows machine are two different things. Apple didn't even write iTunes. The Mac version was kept up pretty well over the years, but the Windows version has been a hacked together clusterfuck since the beginning.

I had been a happy iPhone user since the original phone, and had a handful of iPods since the 3rd generation ones about 15 years ago. I just got tired of dealing with the shitty software as my only interface to the devices. I honestly can't believe I put up with it as long as I did.

I like having an actual file system on a device. Not writing data into a big pool where you can't find it. That applies to music, pictures, PDFs, maps, really anything. I frequently use my phone to transfer data as well.

I still have a Macbook Pro, and a iPad Mini that I mostly read books on. Putting books on it sucks, but since I refuse to upgrade the OS on the iPad, it's continued to function well, and I can add thing to it from the Macbook without jumping through the required upgrade loops.

Obviously, use what works for you.

Last edited:
I’ll think I’m okay with the iTunes interface and then I’ll go play with something like Clementine and realize just how archaic iTunes is for managing, navigation and searching.

No love for iTunes but like I said: they support my crazy needs for personal library size.

iTunes on a Mac is fine. iTunes on IOS is a disaster. Trying to use it for any kind of professional work is at best frustrating. The "flat interface" makes everything the same as everything else and hard to navigate. The old look might've sucked, but it worked.

iTunes on a Mac is fine. iTunes on IOS is a disaster.
Interesting. For my use cases I have the opposite impression. Mobile, my needs are pretty simple. But at home I'm always fighting with search and tagging features. Playlist assembly. Ratings. Even just viewing artists with more than a handful of albums to them is a PIA. And don't get me started about the Music <> Video <> Store break down.

Different strokes ...
My needs are simple on my Mac but I want more control on my iPad. Can't make a playlist that doesn't automatically start the next song. Can't see how far into the tune you are. All controls are jammed together and you need little dainty girly fingers to operate it. Oy!

Fair points, iTunes on PC does blow and the current version of the Music app is also less than stellar. I've gotten to where I don't mind the app as much as when they first changed it, but that's just familiarity and not any indication of starting to like it.

As far as file structure, you can access it now with the files app so it's not a huge difference anymore. That said, it didn't bother me much in the first place. I guess I was just ok with knowing that the stuff was on my phone and the right app could access it.

I might be something of an anomaly though... Grew up (I'm 32) tech heavy, programming classes through high school, building my own computers and a career in electronics maintenance buuuuuut I kind of don't give a damn about computers anymore. I just need something snappy enough to handle my office documents, some media, and a DAW and I need it to be relatively seamless and easy to use. That applies to pretty much every device I use, and apple IMHO just has the Monopoly on that sort of mindset. And at this point, I don't care about the new devices every year either. I'll keep my X for a few more years or until it breaks or 5g is a real thing. My MacBook pro should be solid for another 5 years or more, my 2012 Mac mini shows no signs of slowing down living at the studio... It's just quality stuff and I like the way it works.

I have a couple windows tablets for work now and I don't mind using them, but they're definitely not a pleasure like osx is. I do wish apple would either build a tablet that runs osx, or let the iPad run windowed apps to make multitasking easier, but they're getting there.

For me, even OSX had a sweet spot, maybe five or six years ago. Before a lot of unnecessary feature creep kicked in. My Macbook Pro was upgraded to the absolute minimum it needs to run Fractal Edit, and handle my minimal needs with it; YouTube, PDFs, and Guitar Rig that I'll use sometimes when traveling light. Lion was the last release that didn't start trying to integrate the laptop with the phone. I mean why? I don't want shit synced to "the cloud" (I hate that term....it just means someone else's computer). Every release since Lion has gone further down the suck-hole. I like the fact that it's a nice shell of UNIX, and it's generally easy for me to do things under the hood. It's a great laptop. I just refuse to ever upgrade it unless one of the above things breaks.

Back
Top Bottom