Apple Silicon

My beloved imac of 11 years has died :(
i am thinking about the Mac mini with the M1 silicon . Is everything working ok with Axe Edit and FM3
edit .? Anything to watch out for
also what displays do you guys recommend 21 to 24
Thanks in advance

My beloved imac of 11 years has died :(
i am thinking about the Mac mini with the M1 silicon . Is everything working ok with Axe Edit and FM3
edit .? Anything to watch out for
also what displays do you guys recommend 21 to 24
Thanks in advance
W0rks amazing, for the most part...highly recommended and you will be shocked at the speed of many operations ..Compared to your old iMac...it is at times better than my loaded current Mac Pro!

W0rks amazing, for the most part...highly recommended and you will be shocked at the speed of many operations ..Compared to your old iMac...it is at times better than my loaded current Mac Pro!
Thanks @bradlake
so no issues w Fractal edit or USB recording
also do you have any recommendations on monitor just something from best buy like a Samsung should l look for specific resolution or are the the modern ones pretty decent

For music production, I'd suggest going big on the display. DAWs and plugins these days assume you have a large display. I use a 34" curved 3440X1440 monitor.

also do you have any recommendations on monitor just something from best buy like a Samsung should l look for specific resolution or are the the modern ones pretty decent
USB-C monitors are nice with the newest Macs but harder to find. I have an LG from work here I like that has a 2-port USB hub on the back which is great for attaching a camera to right at the monitor. The Dell U2720Q gets high marks as well.

Though I suppose with a Mac Mini you're not powering from USB-C the way I do my MBPro so maybe HDMI is fine too? You get the USB hub + audio support with USB-C mini to the monitor which is convenient.

For music production, I'd suggest going big on the display. DAWs and plugins these days assume you have a large display. I use a 34" curved 3440X1440 monitor.
2560x1440 32" is the sweet spot for me. PPI is roughly equivalent to yours. But I don't like curved. 4K would have been nice in my younger days, or with reading glasses.

2560x1440 32" is the sweet spot for me. PPI is roughly equivalent to yours. But I don't like curved. 4K would have been nice in my younger days, or with reading glasses.
I think people often overlook the importance of PPI when shopping for a monitor. Personally, I think a 4K monitor is useless for music production. All it does is cause display problems with your plugins :).

Regarding curved, I'd agree that below 34" go with flat, but when you get to 34" or larger, unless you're sitting 4 feet away from the monitor, the curve helps present the left and right edges for more comfortable viewing.

I think people often overlook the importance of PPI when shopping for a monitor. Personally, I think a 4K monitor is useless for music production. All it does is cause display problems with your plugins :).

Regarding curved, I'd agree that below 34" go with flat, but when you get to 34" or larger, unless you're sitting 4 feet away from the monitor, the curve helps present the left and right edges for more comfortable viewing.
Yeah, even Windows doesn't handle scaling right let alone app developers. I've read of so many problems with UI scaling with 4K.

That's the sad state of the software industry these days. It may look good on paper, but you're getting a lot of these developers straight out of college. I worked for a company who did this thinking it would save them money. In the end we had to toss everything they did and rewrite it in-house with more "expensive" developers.
You know what really stinks is that I was also passed over, years back, for not enough experience. Sheesh. Make up your minds, people....

Thanks @bradlake
so no issues w Fractal edit or USB recording
I've been using an M1 Mini for a while, and love it. That little machine is very powerful. Zero issues with Fractal software. I have had a few VSTs that stopped working until they were updated by manufacturers, but other than that, it's been a pretty smooth ride.
I use a pair of 32 inch displays, which allows me to have my DAW on one, and other tools / windows on the other. As others have said, go big for your monitor, or use a pair.

They where just slower but I can‘t remember them crashing any more than before.
Half of my job when Rosetta and PPC were introduced was as a developer working on Macs. I was sitting in the audience when they showed the first proof-of-concept systems, and PPC ran SO much faster than the CISC 68K chips that, even with Rosetta, the old apps ran at the same speed they did before. They couldn't keep up with code compiled for PPC was where "slower" comparisons came from.

The other half of my job was running a tech lab with a model of every Mac we had in our offices, spread across North America. The first PPC Macs were received and I beat on them with all our standard apps and everything else I could find. And, we'd go to Apple's local office where they'd host a game night and we'd use all their various machines and play Marathon for hours while eating pizza. The PPC and 68K machines felt the same and elicited the same sort of trash talk among us.

Rosetta 2 is going to do the same thing as far as maintaining the actual performance of apps, and, as apps convert to Apple's silicon, they'll run faster and faster. The developers have profiling tools that show where the bottlenecks are, and the goal is to rewrite those sections for the new processors first, gaining the most speed for a smaller amount of work. Over time they whittle down the remaining old code, the application speeds up, and eventually, the developers will be caught up. Developers will be given a very-advance heads up when Apple gets ready to remove Rosetta 2, and it'll be based on the assumption that applications that haven't been updated have been abandoned, so they'd lose support soon anyway.

I'm currently using an iMac Pro that's a couple years old. I'll give it to my girlfriend who's running on a 15 yr. old iMac, so she'll be on something that's very fast, and I'll have something that sparkles and is shiny.

You know what really stinks is that I was also passed over, years back, for not enough experience. Sheesh. Make up your minds, people....
I spent SO many years writing code in major companies around Phoenix, and heard every excuse they could think of, and, every one of the excuses stinks. I'm SO glad I retired. I was so sick of the B.S.

My new MacBook Pro is great ,fast no problems with anything, graphic are amazing. have two 2010 MacBook pros ,I was still using one ,other worked ,was backup . Anyway was listening to sirrus radio though it and it just stopped . Long story short I spent every minute I could trying to reinstall a OS for a week and a half with no luck ,so got the other one running , though I’d take the ram from mine (8 MB) and put in the other ,only had 4 MB .
good so far still a bit slow so I though I’d reinstall the OS ,here we go again ,couldn’t reinstall OS again ,I tried every thing ,I alway fix my and upgrade my computers . I couldn’t figure this out , so I brought it to a computer shop. That night I took the 4MB ram and put it in my computer and though one more time , it installed high sierra ,( I hadn’t put 2&2 together yet . Next day i go the the computer shop he got mountain lion from disc install , I asked him how he did it , he spent a bit of time but only charge me for half the time . He took out one of the memory chips and loaded the OS then put it back in ,he told me it wouldn‘t load with that memory chip in , I never would of thought to do that , I didn’t know you could take one out .
So now I have my new MacBook Pro , my 2 2010 Macbook pros running and now I can replace the keyboard on my 2015 MacBook Pro I spill a Black Russian on the keyboard ,major repair . I had just put a new battery in the 2015 MacBook then I spilled the drink which kill the battery and track pad ,I replaced ,but the keys are a bit sticky still 🤪

I spent SO many years writing code in major companies around Phoenix, and heard every excuse they could think of, and, every one of the excuses stinks. I'm SO glad I retired. I was so sick of the B.S.
8 years to go.
8 years to go.
8 years to go.
8 years to go.

Who am I kidding. I will be working years after I am dead. Retirement is a boomer thing....

Back
Top Bottom