Apple moves to ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Intel is in its ascendancy. AMD has been cutting into its x86 world for a long time and Ryzen is now top of the heap. ARM has been eating away at its low power market.

Give it 3-4 years and I think we'll see a drastically scaled back Intel; a shell of what it once was. Those private gets to commute between SJ, Austin and Folsom will be a thing of the past. The workforce will shrink from it's 110,000 count to well under 10,000. It'll be the end of an era.

My prediction anyhow...

I agree, for the end user, all the oses offer same functionalities... But for developers it's becoming a nightmare... I dream of a united os, one os only to rule them all

Oh that would be cool. There's so many things you have to pick and choose from current OS's. I'm excited about iOS 14 finally stealing a bunch of stuff Android has had for years. At the end of the day I went Apple because it was a smoother experience for me, but I'm not a fan boy about it (nor am I about guitars and modelers and all that stuff).

Potential upside from a development standpoint, maybe this could lead to the unification of code across Apple devices, i.e. apps that can transfer or scale from iPhone to iPad to Mac? Realizing that would be additional development effort, but there's the potential for a lot more revenue and synergy...

There will be people holding on to Intel Macs because they need the functionality to run their current apps. My cousin is still using eMacs so he can run Freehand for sign work. Too costly for him to upgrade hardware software and learn something new. You will always pay to play with apple it's always been that way and I don't see that ever changing. The best way to get return on your investment is to sell as soon as the new model is released and buy that. Figure $500-$800 a year hit but if you really need the power that's the best way to go. I would love some new Mac hardware however I hate the thought of loosing Adobe CS6 which I can't even update to Catalina and use due to no 32bit support as well as a few other audio apps. The transition from Power PC to Intel was a bit bumpy but paid off well in the long run. The switch from MacOS9 To MacOS X was tuff but who the hell missies trying to troubleshoot extensions. Now going forward Apple Silicone Will again force people to loose essential software and hardware support but will allow them to make the mac do things more simply with applications unified across all three platforms IOS MacOS and IpadOS . 10 -15 years ago I spent most of my free time trying to trouble shoot mac issues, now days things run so smooth seldom is there an major issue. We have come a long way and the future is looking pretty good to me.

Apple Moving Macs from Intel to Arm. After two years of rumors, at this year's (virtual) World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC), Apple finally announced that it was going to migrate all its Mac products from Intel processors to the company's own Arm-based silicon

Before I got around to trying to load a program from tape, I tried typing one in to my Sinclare/Timex ZX80. It was a version of Lunar Lander in a book of BASIC games from Melbourne House. I got close to the end when the power supply wobbled and the machine hard reset :). When I finally got it working, I was disappointed to find there were no graphics. I'd already read that the ZX80 didn't do animation, but had my fingers crossed. I sold my first game to Melbourne House and upgraded to a ZX81. After that, my brother and I were writing games evenings and weekends and selling them. We got a VIC-20, Commodore 64, Sinclair Spectrum, BBC Micro, an Amstrad I don't remember the details of. Eventual got a disk drive for the Commodore 64 (I think it worked with the VIC, too). Turns out there was some bug in the firmware that meant files could get corrupt. I lost a lot of code that way.

Currently Boot Camp will not work with Apple silicon so it will be interesting to learn what Apple's big plan is. Maybe they are working with Microsoft to build a version of windows that will run natively once they make they full transition. Yes there is virtualization software but PC games do not run well through that process and some not at all they have to run natively which is where Boot Camp comes into play. Although video games probably do not interest most of us, it's a billion dollar industry that Apple is currently watching from the sidelines for the most part.

Currently Boot Camp will not work with Apple silicon so it will be interesting to learn what Apple's big plan is. Maybe they are working with Microsoft to build a version of windows that will run natively once they make they full transition. Yes there is virtualization software but PC games do not run well through that process and some not at all they have to run natively which is where Boot Camp comes into play. Although video games probably do not interest most of us, it's a billion dollar industry that Apple is currently watching from the sidelines for the most part.
I just got Boot Camp and Win10 working on my 5k iMac so I could put off building a PC just to play Destiny 2. Both Microsoft and Apple have gone out of their way to make it as hard as possible now.

You can do it but it’s far from easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom