Apple moves to ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to find a comfortable home platform these days. Hundred and _______th look at Linux?

I use Linux a lot as part of my job, but for home use is challenging because of lack of compatibility. I always have though like 4 or 5 VMs for different purpuses, mostly Linux.

Part of what I loved from Mac was having a terminal at hand.

I had VIC 20, LOL. Text-based adventure game called Pirate's Cove or something i used to play the crap out of....was so frustrating

Reactions: JD_
As an Apple user, this makes sense. They've used their own chips for years in other devices, and clearly their phones and tablets aren't lacking for performance.

I bought my first Mac (if you don't count the IIe) right when they introduced Intel chips, and it worked out fine. Some of the older programs wouldn't run but those weren't critical and were replaced by Intel versions.

And to be honest, we're kind of near a singularity where OS doesn't really matter that much from an end user, IMO. Just about everything I do on my Mac is through Google Chrome via the cloud anyway. Only thing that isn't great would be working with Microsoft Office programs for work.

I have a Mac Mini that's above five years old now. Assuming there are no hardware issues, I could easily run this thing for several more years. No idea if I would replace with another Mac or a PC though. If I end up working from home full time I may try a PC just so I could work off my PC exclusively rather than jumping between my Mac and work laptop.

Yep I had one too. Also had the TRS-80 model II and III. When I got the Radio Shack Color Computer and was programming in GW Basic I thought I was GOD!! :)
GW BASIC commands were still part of VB until VB.net broke the backwards compatibility on the old commands. I worked in a college computer lab at the cusp of the VB.net changeover, and had a lot of students in CIS105 classes with VB6 final projects. The above bit of info was put to good use to deal with students who did not want to do their own work and raised their hand for help with every single line of their stupidly simple final project....

Well I use my laptop also to support my lab, where keep myself up to date for my job (IT Security) so needed something powerful and solid, and wanted too also something that would work for music and day to day work, after having had windows portable WSs for years, I got a bit tired of the required housekeeping of Windows, I mean Windows 10 for Enterprise is simply unbeatable, but for home, the debate for concerned users is there. I had a company MBP 2018 for one year and yes, this is what I was looking for. I just hope with the "IOSification" of the platform it does not lose that Unix flavor ....

Don’t forget, the current line of “unsupported” macs still have critical security support for longer than “official” non-OS updates. Further to that a strong unsupported Mac tweaks to keep older devices still rolling with Catalina And beyond. I do miss watching my G4 show all 4 cores at 100% with the hairdryer grade fan full tilt (likely not 100%).
Maybe they can harness the full potential of the arm CPU’s. My iMac seems to have a limit even though all stats show it’s not even showing 1/2 CPU or ram use In Logic.
Also we haven’t even seen the desktop Apple Silicone CPU’s yet. ( we need an abbreviation stat)!
I watched an after show with head Apple team Craig and the other guy chatting, sounds like we're going to see some significant advancements. Interesting times.

GW BASIC commands were still part of VB until VB.net broke the backwards compatibility on the old commands. I worked in a college computer lab at the cusp of the VB.net changeover, and had a lot of students in CIS105 classes with VB6 final projects. The above bit of info was put to good use to deal with students who did not want to do their own work and raised their hand for help with every single line of their stupidly simple final project....

Why does that not surprise me? ;)

As an Apple user, this makes sense. They've used their own chips for years in other devices, and clearly their phones and tablets aren't lacking for performance.

I bought my first Mac (if you don't count the IIe) right when they introduced Intel chips, and it worked out fine. Some of the older programs wouldn't run but those weren't critical and were replaced by Intel versions.

And to be honest, we're kind of near a singularity where OS doesn't really matter that much from an end user, IMO. Just about everything I do on my Mac is through Google Chrome via the cloud anyway. Only thing that isn't great would be working with Microsoft Office programs for work.

I have a Mac Mini that's above five years old now. Assuming there are no hardware issues, I could easily run this thing for several more years. No idea if I would replace with another Mac or a PC though. If I end up working from home full time I may try a PC just so I could work off my PC exclusively rather than jumping between my Mac and work laptop.
I agree, for the end user, all the oses offer same functionalities... But for developers it's becoming a nightmare... I dream of a united os, one os only to rule them all

I just hope with the "IOSification" of the platform it does not lose that Unix flavor ....
If they don't have UNIX underneath on the new ones when my recently-purchased MacBook expires, I guess I will buy a PC laptop. I don't like IOS, particularly....

Facebook and Twitter make the rest look like nunneries.

If Google is the Evil Empire, the information Overlord, Facebook is the KGB that oversees it all and Twitter the rage inducing internet mob that attacks whatever catches its eye that day. The Three Horsemen of the Infopocalypse.

And we used to think that Microsoft was bad, back in the days of of Win95 to XP. How naieve and hopeful we were.

well the switch probably won't begin to happen for at least a year and it'll take another two or three for the entire ecosystem to catch up. i understand the worry that your brand new macbook might suddenly be worthless, but there will always be a market for them.
not sure about that timeline. they said the first hardware will be out “later this year”, which the pundits are reading as november/december, and that it will be done in 2 years.

am planning to order a transition kit, which are supposed to start shipping this week

Well I use my laptop also to support my lab, where keep myself up to date for my job (IT Security) so needed something powerful and solid, and wanted too also something that would work for music and day to day work, after having had windows portable WSs for years, I got a bit tired of the required housekeeping of Windows, I mean Windows 10 for Enterprise is simply unbeatable, but for home, the debate for concerned users is there. I had a company MBP 2018 for one year and yes, this is what I was looking for. I just hope with the "IOSification" of the platform it does not lose that Unix flavor ....
iOS is also based on Darwin, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom