Apple Magic Mouse version 1 vs version 2

So I bought a Magic keyboard and Magic Mouse 2 combo - turned out to be a version 1
the only discernible difference that I could discover was the battery - version 2 is built in usb vs version 1 uses double AA
so if thats the only difference, should I return it to the scammer and get a Magic Mouse 2 or just leave it alone?

Im brand new to Macs, so I realized you sort of need Mac compatible mouse and keyboard, if not the official ones, because my windows keyboard and my iClever knock offs did not pair or work well at all in big sur

anyway, anyone have any feelings about the Magic Mouse?

Get Magic Trackpad or a proper PC mouse. Apple mice sucked ass since time immemorial, and still do. Magic Trackpad doesn't suck.

I have both versions and they are comparable. They occasionally lose the Bluetooth connection to the mac, but in use they are lovely. I have an apple battery recharger so the inconvenience of replacing batteries is negligible. Also when you need to recharge the usb version the cable goes in the base which means you cannot use it at that time, until charged. I i is hassle to swap out and if you don't mid replacing batteries very occasionally, I’d stick with what you have. YMMV of course. Have a good one.

Ignoring Mac compatibility which I have no clue, the Logitech Anywhere MX mouse is just awesome IMO. Wireless, lasts a long time between charges, cable plugs in on the far side so you can use it while it charges.

But the big thing outside of general quality is that they're far and away the best for working on any surface. Plain black or strongly wood grained desk that confused other mice, patterned couch of any kind I've tried, pants leg, can't think of a situation that was a problem for it. Not as cheap as many, but well worth it IMO.

thanks guys, im looking into the Logitech now; the trackpad is something I want to consider, but I just don't "Get" touch gestures, never did well on the iPad , in fact I got rid of one because I simply could never touch or gesture properly

I own two Magic Trackpads and they are amazing. Super fast on both my Mac and iPad Pro. I personally would learn towards the second generation of either, because Apple is starting to end support with certain features on the trackpad and mouse Gen 1

In the long run, having the internal battery would be a nice plus because I find the mouse works best with a fresh charge (I charge mine EVERY NIGHT). I have adopted the trinity of Apple control tools: trackpad, mouse, and KB. It took some time to discover the benfits and adjust to the ergonomic differences, but now, traditional hardware controllers feel limited and clunky in comparison. Four-way swipe on the mouse is my favorite action, as well as pinch on the trackpad. Many apps are cleverly designed with these features in mind.

I went from a 2014 mbp to a 2020 imac and i still dont know most of the tricks lol. 4-way swipe you say? Hm.

Ok, you guys were right, @Werpinater, especially = I got the version 1 mouse to pit against the version 2 ; there is a perceivable and very desirable difference to me - the version 2 works for me and also the rechargeable internal battery is a plus as well (as many said, you can use rechargeable double AA in the first version too, so that just a debatable issue on really how you care/prefer to recharge batteries which this isn't about really lol); what it comes down to is something about the reactivity to my movement both on desk and also to my finger gestures...now its doing what it was when I read "as advertised"....so is it worth the upgrade considering the price difference on a either/or a new or used model respectively, I would definitely trade in or sell my version 1 - but again, the slight differences in whatever they did make difference to me, but im sure to many others its imperceivable and isn't important [returned the 1 and kept the 2]

my only thing now, is I sort of want to try a trackpad 2...I really think that might be a really cool alternative as you guys did suggest - I don't care for iPad, let me be clear - I am not anti-pad, but lets just say, they aren't a selling point for me - after they stopped my iPad mini 2 from getting iOS 13 I am very turned off to some of apples policies on "non" pro iPads, (sure, the A7 is a slowest apple chip but it does support 64 bit arch. and if ram is an issue on an app, like, why would I bother on an iPad mini [in reference to developer compability issues apples doesn't want to hear] sorry for that spiel of a mini gripe, but its the slight differences that make each upgrade/update/new model amazing; and its often these same things that kill it for old gen models - but hey, thats the way of the digital world, and apple is truly the best PC/tablet platform out there.'

thanks for your replies and suggestions ''''''' and if I get a trackpad 2, or someone wants to sell me one, shoot me a PM, or report back :)

It’s not like iPad, imo. It’s more like what you’d find on the MacBook Pro, which is hands down the best implementation of a trackpad on the planet. No other computer that I’ve tried (and I tried many) is even close. And you don’t have to use advanced gestures.

I own two Magic Trackpads and they are amazing. Super fast on both my Mac and iPad Pro. I personally would learn towards the second generation of either, because Apple is starting to end support with certain features on the trackpad and mouse Gen 1
Maybe I need to take a class or something, but I can't figure out the gesture for drag and drop on the standalone trackpad :(

Yeah the Magic Trackpad 2 is like the more modern MacBook trackpads. I admit is does take a little to get used to them, but once I got used to them the speed was great. Especially for things like zooming in on audio during edits.

I went from using a Macbook for about 10 years to an iMac with a magic mouse....I'm getting the trackpad this week. Editing in Logic is SO much faster with the trackpad. It took me about a week to warm up to using a mouse again. Just moving from one end of a track to another is a pain in the ass with the mouse after using a trackpad.

Maybe I need to take a class or something, but I can't figure out the gesture for drag and drop on the standalone trackpad :(
IIRC (and I'm not at a trackpad to double-check) I use thumb and forefinger on the pad. Press with the thumb, drag with index finger just touching the surface.

I've been considering picking up a Trackpad for my iMac. Looks like it would come in handy for Logic and Final Cut. Zooming and moving around the timelines, etc. You guys who have used them have any tipa for other benefits of a Trackpad? I'm probably about 70% sold on trying one, so looking for something to push me over the edge.

I am a bit new to Mac in general and already find myself cursing the PC when I am working on PC and want to scroll side to side. Lol

I use both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad on my audio workstation. For Logic they are invaluable. Dragging stuff around with the trackpad sucks because it's less accurate and you have to keep your finger on the trackpad without dropping whatever you're dragging. So for those operations I always use the mouse. On the other hand zooming around the timeline, pinch to zoom, etc, are awesome on the trackpad so I often use it for those kinds of tasks. Once you get used to the setup you hardly even think about it and just switch between the two automatically.

I use both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad on my audio workstation. For Logic they are invaluable. Dragging stuff around with the trackpad sucks because it's less accurate and you have to keep your finger on the trackpad without dropping whatever you're dragging. So for those operations I always use the mouse. On the other hand zooming around the timeline, pinch to zoom, etc, are awesome on the trackpad so I often use it for those kinds of tasks. Once you get used to the setup you hardly even think about it and just switch between the two automatically.
Thanks. It sounds like exactly how I would use it. I'll have to pick one up soon.

strong post man....+1 w/ @Genghis

Back
Top Bottom