Appetite-Style Preset with Video

ttjosh572

I recently got some lighting equipment and a decent area to record! Attached is my mid-heavy "Hot Rodded Plexi" preset. The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard with stock pickups. When I use my Charvel with a JB, I roll back the mids a tad and tweak for more saturation.

More presets to come! I have learned so much through guys like Leon Todd and Rocco Pezzin throughout 2021 with my Axe.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Hot Rodded Plexi.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 160
Sounds great but the preset clips my right channel. I am new to the Axe-fx3 so I know is user error.

Very nice @ttjosh572! Question for you, concerning the backing track you are playing along with, did you do anything to remove/lessen the recorded guitars? I am a home studio player after retiring from gigging in bar bands and am finding my way around recording/modifying tracks in Logic Pro X to provide backing tracks to jam along with. I am strictly a Logic Pro X beginner so any help/suggestions you (or anyone else) may be able to offer would be very much appreciated.

That preset hits +10db on the OUT1 meter easily (Should just tickle 0 db for normal setup) - is there something in your setup that attenuates it?

1638887126906.png

I recently got some lighting equipment and a decent area to record! Attached is my mid-heavy "Hot Rodded Plexi" preset. The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard with stock pickups. When I use my Charvel with a JB, I roll back the mids a tad and tweak for more saturation.

More presets to come! I have learned so much through guys like Leon Todd and Rocco Pezzin throughout 2021 with my Axe.

Enjoy!

@ttjosh572 Great picking man that sounds really great. Keep on Rocking

That preset hits +10db on the OUT1 meter easily (Should just tickle 0 db for normal setup) - is there something in your setup that attenuates it?

View attachment 92570
Interesting. I usually set my presets up to be on the higher end. I would just bring down the overall level in Out 1. It doesn't clip or anything on my end. Let me know what you do!

Edit: I just went back in and looked. I moved the overall out level down in Out 1 and it fixed it. I probably subconsciously adjusted it instead of adjusting the volume in Logic when recording.

Last edited:
Very nice @ttjosh572! Question for you, concerning the backing track you are playing along with, did you do anything to remove/lessen the recorded guitars? I am a home studio player after retiring from gigging in bar bands and am finding my way around recording/modifying tracks in Logic Pro X to provide backing tracks to jam along with. I am strictly a Logic Pro X beginner so any help/suggestions you (or anyone else) may be able to offer would be very much appreciated.
I am lazy and just found a backing track with vocals on youtube. I've never had success with pulling out instruments from tracks. I'd assume you would have to have some sort of master file to decrease specific frequencies or instruments? I'm sure someone else has clearer input. If so, I would also like to know so I am not constrained to finding pre-made tracks online.

Izotope has a "Music Rebalance" feature as part of their Rx suite that will separate the tracks. It works pretty well. If you do a lot of live recording, this suite is a must-have set of tools. If not, it may be a bit much just to use this one feature.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features/music-rebalance.html

Its a great preset.

Some constructive feedback which I hope helps you setting up future patches - There no point setting volume to the higher end - you are only setting overall AXEFX output level not any amp drive. All fractal presets are set to about 0db if you get too much higher you risk digital clipping in the unit.

Your extra volume is coming from:

1) the parallel cab blocks - setting both to -3db could fix that increase. But why are you using dual cab blocks with single IRs panned L/R - you can do that with one cab block - shown below. Saves CPU and makes aligning different IRs easier if needed.

1638981273033.png

2) The parallel Delay block. There is a 'better' way to do this. Set the bypass mode to "Mute In", set level to 0db, Mix to 100% (so you are only getting delay out of the block, then control delay volume using Input Gain - this prevents delay level changes when switching scenes or switching the delay block on/off. Leon Todd has a video covering this.

1638980715502.png

Hope this helps

Interesting. I usually set my presets up to be on the higher end. I would just bring down the overall level in Out 1. It doesn't clip or anything on my end. Let me know what you do!

Its a great preset.

Some constructive feedback which I hope helps you setting up future patches - There no point setting volume to the higher end - you are only setting overall AXEFX output level not any amp drive. All fractal presets are set to about 0db if you get too much higher you risk digital clipping in the unit.

Your extra volume is coming from:

1) the parallel cab blocks - setting both to -3db could fix that increase. But why are you using dual cab blocks with single IRs panned L/R - you can do that with one cab block - shown below. Saves CPU and makes aligning different IRs easier if needed.

View attachment 92622

2) The parallel Delay block. There is a 'better' way to do this. Set the bypass mode to "Mute In", set level to 0db, Mix to 100% (so you are only getting delay out of the block, then control delay volume using Input Gain - this prevents delay level changes when switching scenes or switching the delay block on/off. Leon Todd has a video covering this.

View attachment 92621

Hope this helps
I do need to get better at understanding the parallel effects setups. I sort of just plug and play and whatever sounds good I use.

BUT the beauty of the Axe Fx is "if it's not broke, you can still fix it!" The quest for tone never stops.

Back
Top Bottom