AFIII Apologies to Vernon Reid

Well I gave it an honest try. This is one o those things I've been wanting to do since I was 14 and the Axe made it almost easy. Except, you know, for the actual trying to sing and play part. But the Axe gives me THE sound to make me go for it, and that is new and great and maybe the greatest.

I will be back with Empty Arms (sorry, not meant to sound like a threat) soon and then who knows?

That was really good man I’d say you nailed that great job. What did you use to get the sound that you have?
That was really awesome Thanks for Sharing loved it. Great vocals :)

Aw @Freds55 you're too nice to me, man. I know it isn't very good; but it is a lot of fun. It's hopefully good practice re-learning my way around my DAW. Also, I just re-read that, and I am sorry I don't take compliments better! Like many players I get hung up on the stuff I can't play (yet!) and I hate my voice. But I have recorded more tunes in the last month than I did in the last several years, thanks to these convenient backing tracks that I put the guitars and vocals over. And thanks to the Axe3, and @FractalAudio. Best music move I have ever made bar none.

"Jimmy's tone" is my 2017 Strat Elite in the middle position with the volume switch engaged, which the v4 Noiseless Pickups chart told me was the mid and bridge singles together in series. It sounded closest to the studio cut to my ears. I ran through an SRV preset that was inspired by Cliff's posts about getting a closer SRV tone by using a little cab smoothing. I just took those two amps from his SRV example preset and started over, and added some YA and Redwirez cabs. Jimmy's part gets a Leslie and a fairly wide room reverb from my DAW to spread it out like an organ pad. The amps are a SuperVerb Vibrato and a Deluxe Verb Vibrato in full stereo, each with their own cab blocks; with the AiTR FR blended in, too; in addition to the ambiences I added in my DAW. I used the YA Vibrato Lux Room FR IRs for this and I can hear them in all the right places.

The Lead guitar is the same preset and guitar, using the neck, neck+middle, and middle pickups at various times. but with no rotary on. I used three levels of gain on the lead guitar part: The intro is amps set to breakup+volume knob rolled back. The verses/chorus are same but with the volume open. Then the solo is still the same but with the addition of the Maxoff 808. The signal chain does start with a compressor. I dunno, seems like every time I have gotten a decent SRV tone (I think the Amplitube Fender pack had some good sounds in it) I always found a little compression+tiny bit of boost just seems to make that sound come alive. Some. I don't think Stevie needed to do that but it seems to help me.

I can share the preset but I will need to substitute in appropriate factory cabinets first. But it's no different than probably any other two-amp SRV setup. I wanted to make one with e Twin and a Super, but I liked this better and ran with it.

I have almost finished that version of Empty Arms for Dad as well, but I am saving it for word from home that Dad has gotten to this one. He has a little trouble getting his gear to play nice with him nowadays and sometimes needs a little assistance. Hopefully I can upload it tonight or tomorrow.

Big old disclaimer:
Since there will be more SRV posted here I must address the love some of us have for the guy: Yes, I picked up guitar after hearing SRV (and EVH) play. Yes I worshiped the guy and miss him like crazy, guilty as charged. What I am not is a guy who wants to be him. There was only the one Stevie Ray. This old blues material is compelling to me because a) I am already familiar with it so there is less to learn and b) The Axe3 lets me get close to the sounds I have been wanting to get for 36 years since I first heard these albums.
I would hate for anyone to think I am that guy with the Stevie Ray stuff. I play so many JEMs/RGs people already expect me to sound like Steve Vai all the time just on sight. Book by its cover, etc.

I say all of that because when people butcher his material as I am doing I have feelings about it, so if anyone reading this feels that way I understand completely. I just hope no one feels negatively about me aping one of my guitar heroes, I do it out of love and yeah, I do get to feel pretty cool if I play a good turnaround. :p

I was used to seeing him with the white Strat-stye for a long time. Then I think he went a little steampunk for a bit. But when I checked out the vid for Love Rears Up he was playing a semi-hollow with two humbuckers. I almost grabbed my FF338 but went with the FFLP instead, as the 338 has good SDs in it, but the FFLP has some really interesting Pure PAFs in it.

Here is the updated Love Rears Its Ugly Head! Now with vocals and more vocals.

This is with you playing and singing???

It's fantastic!

I found that tune at NCSU and fell in love with it, so the bands I was trying to start in the 90s both had Cult of Personality and Love Rears Its Ugly Head in our setlists. We never had a real lead singer so I sang what I could.

Thank you. I was worried about posting my stuff, I am just a piker but the Axe is just so inspiring.
Yeah I do my best to sing, because I don't know anyone who will do it for me. :p I still hope to perform for folks again in the future. This is kinda part of the groundwork for that. Thanks so much, Ian. Every little bit of encouragement means a lot to me, but you folks here have been especially kind.

Aw @Freds55 you're too nice to me, man. I know it isn't very good; but it is a lot of fun. It's hopefully good practice re-learning my way around my DAW. Also, I just re-read that, and I am sorry I don't take compliments better! Like many players I get hung up on the stuff I can't play (yet!) and I hate my voice. But I have recorded more tunes in the last month than I did in the last several years, thanks to these convenient backing tracks that I put the guitars and vocals over. And thanks to the Axe3, and @FractalAudio. Best music move I have ever made bar none.

"Jimmy's tone" is my 2017 Strat Elite in the middle position with the volume switch engaged, which the v4 Noiseless Pickups chart told me was the mid and bridge singles together in series. It sounded closest to the studio cut to my ears. I ran through an SRV preset that was inspired by Cliff's posts about getting a closer SRV tone by using a little cab smoothing. I just took those two amps from his SRV example preset and started over, and added some YA and Redwirez cabs. Jimmy's part gets a Leslie and a fairly wide room reverb from my DAW to spread it out like an organ pad. The amps are a SuperVerb Vibrato and a Deluxe Verb Vibrato in full stereo, each with their own cab blocks; with the AiTR FR blended in, too; in addition to the ambiences I added in my DAW. I used the YA Vibrato Lux Room FR IRs for this and I can hear them in all the right places.

The Lead guitar is the same preset and guitar, using the neck, neck+middle, and middle pickups at various times. but with no rotary on. I used three levels of gain on the lead guitar part: The intro is amps set to breakup+volume knob rolled back. The verses/chorus are same but with the volume open. Then the solo is still the same but with the addition of the Maxoff 808. The signal chain does start with a compressor. I dunno, seems like every time I have gotten a decent SRV tone (I think the Amplitube Fender pack had some good sounds in it) I always found a little compression+tiny bit of boost just seems to make that sound come alive. Some. I don't think Stevie needed to do that but it seems to help me.

I can share the preset but I will need to substitute in appropriate factory cabinets first. But it's no different than probably any other two-amp SRV setup. I wanted to make one with e Twin and a Super, but I liked this better and ran with it.

I have almost finished that version of Empty Arms for Dad as well, but I am saving it for word from home that Dad has gotten to this one. He has a little trouble getting his gear to play nice with him nowadays and sometimes needs a little assistance. Hopefully I can upload it tonight or tomorrow.

Big old disclaimer: Since there will be more SRV posted here I must address the love some of us have for the guy: Yes, I picked up guitar after hearing SRV (and EVH) play. Yes I worshiped the guy and miss him like crazy, guilty as charged. What I am not is a guy who wants to be him. There was only the one Stevie Ray. This old blues material is compelling to me because a) I am already familiar with it so there is less to learn and b) The Axe3 lets me get close to the sounds I have been wanting to get for 36 years since I first heard these albums.
I would hate for anyone to think I am that guy with the Stevie Ray stuff. I play so many JEMs/RGs people already expect me to sound like Steve Vai all the time just on sight. Book by its cover, etc.

I say all of that because when people butcher his material as I am doing I have feelings about it, so if anyone reading this feels that way I understand completely. I just hope no one feels negatively about me aping one of my guitar heroes, I do it out of love and yeah, I do get to feel pretty cool if I play a good turnaround. :p
Dr Faustus man that was really nice you seriously did the song justice from what I’m hearing it’s really nice keep it up theirs nothing wrong with what your doing from what I’m hearing good job.

I have the noise less four pickups also on one of my strat elite Guitars and I dig the way they sound. To me they just have a really smooth sound for a lack of anything better to say.

Sounds like dad is digging what you are doing and good for you to make time to put a smile on his face That is time that is totally priceless.
Keep doing what your doing because it sounds good.

Thanks for the run down on what you are using an doing much appreciated. Gotta Love the Axe Fx iii Fractal Rocks.

There are so many combinations inside that little black magic box you can lose track of time like I do look at the clock and holy smokes were did the time go my favorite thing to do.

Keep doing what your doing it sounds great and sounds like your having fun with it. :)

Well I gave it an honest try. This is one o those things I've been wanting to do since I was 14 and the Axe made it almost easy. Except, you know, for the actual trying to sing and play part. But the Axe gives me THE sound to make me go for it, and that is new and great and maybe the greatest.

I will be back with Empty Arms (sorry, not meant to sound like a threat) soon and then who knows?

Wow! Love that song. Great job! Really dig your diverse musical tastes, too. You are definitely not a one-trick pony.
That is saying a lot when it comes to a lot of "guitarists." :)

I was so blessed to see Stevie play outside in the fall of 1987 in a pouring down South Florida storm. He
never flinched. He was truly a man among boys.

Wow! Love that song. Great job! Really dig your diverse musical tastes, too. You are definitely not a one-trick pony.
That is saying a lot when it comes to a lot of "guitarists." :)

I was so blessed to see Stevie play outside in the fall of 1987 in a pouring down South Florida storm. He
never flinched. He was truly a man among boys.
First of all thank you so very much, I know the kind of serious God-tier talent that hangs out around this space so it naturally makes a guy more self-conscious than usual.

No kidding, I saw the same tour! Feb. 1987 at Dorton Arena in Raleigh. Lonnie Mack opened. I was not up against the fence at the stage, but I was behind the person who was, right in front of Stevie. At the time I didn't know the signs but the poor guy was blasted. Played like a dervish but he never opened his eyes, in his blue Hugs Not Drugs t-shirt. It was religious, though. I was all of 15 at the time and it was my first live concert. His death hit me really hard

Memory Lane is heavily involved in these early days with the Axe. I need some drums for Surfing With The Alien and I'll be in heaven. :🤓

EDIT: OMG LOL I had no idea Satch released this. Time to really re-live my Junior year of High School.

Attachments

• Surfin' lol.jpg
    Surfin' lol.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I promised Empty Arms like a month ago. There are some sections that need work and I might get to them; but as much as I love this tune I wanna bite off some Satriani.

I never liked the studio version of this tune very much. There's a lot of Soul To Soul that doesn't quite blow my skirt up; but this take from The Sky Is Crying is just a beautiful, angry, dare-I-say-fun break-up tune in 12-bar format with way too much guitar. :) I tried to have fun with the production, throwing a doubler on the vocal. Put it in an e-mail to Dad early this morning. Enough talk, on to the cover:

I promised Empty Arms like a month ago. There are some sections that need work and I might get to them; but as much as I love this tune I wanna bite off some Satriani.

I never liked the studio version of this tune very much. There's a lot of Soul To Soul that doesn't quite blow my skirt up; but this take from The Sky Is Crying is just a beautiful, angry, dare-I-say-fun break-up tune in 12-bar format with way too much guitar. :) I tried to have fun with the production, throwing a doubler on the vocal. Put it in an e-mail to Dad early this morning. Enough talk, on to the cover:

Gonna have to dig out the old SRV stuff. He was a big influence on my playing in the late '80s and into the early '90s....

It's the weirdest thing. For 36 years I wanted to get those tones so I could play those songs and now I know I could've had this earlier. Much earlier.

I don't think there is a product on the market past or present that could gel with me the way Cygnus has. I'm constantly amazed. Does it sound like the CD? Nah, not really (and this is my fault for not knowing how to dial that). Would I like it to? Sure! Am I disappointed? Not in the least. As you say, the Stratty tone is pretty well nailed if you can manage to attack the guitar properly, which in SRVs case is the biggest obstacle. The sheer power in his hands, I'm not expecting to hear that ever again (much less do it.)
The Axe does the rest and I don't even know how to describe all the little guitar/amp moments in these covers, where the guitar did something in my hands it never did before like sustaining on notes I would usually expect to have to re-attack, or shouting out a harmonic where I wasn't even looking for one. This box is a miracle. It just sounds so freaking great.

Last edited:

Dr Faustus great job really nice picking and the tone sounds really nice and great job on the vocals. Really enjoyed your recording. I bet Dad is digging it too. Keep on Rocking and as always look forward to the next tune you share with us. :)

This guy is amazing to watch live.

This guy is amazing to watch live.

Your timing could not be better.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Chris when that CD came out. And of course, the track we loved, was this one. We played this in my blues cover band in the 90s. So I got to thinking about him the last few days and decided to check out YouTube. He's really got a thing going. Let's just say that song has evolved a lot in 25 years.

Just awesome. Check out the incredible breakdown at the very end. It's a journey.

Last edited:
Your timing could not be better.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Chris when that CD came out. And of course, the track we loved, was this one. We played this in my blues cover band in the 90s. So I got to thinking about him the last few days and decided to check out YouTube. He's really got a thing going. Let's just say that song has evolved a lot in 25 years.

Just awesome. Check out the incredible breakdown at the very end. It's a journey.

I saw him live with Joe Satriani on the crystal planet tour at Bogarts in Cincinati. Awesome show. and I have all kinds of pictures of him and Joe from that night. I give him great respect because he picked up all his gear by himself after he was done playing with no help.

Last edited:
Found a really neat cover of this on SoundCloud and decided to do my own. This one was crazy fun. Zeroing in on making everything a little tighter each time, but now it's time to move on to something more robust.

Dr Faustus very cool great job man. That’s a fun jam and you did a great job. Rock on :)

Back
Top Bottom