Apollo Solo + Softube Console 1 Fader + Gig Performer: Will it work on Silicon iMac?

zappafranco

Inspired
I am considering buying a Softube Console 1 Fader (SC1F) and an Apollo Solo Thunderbolt because of the tight integration of the Apollo Console Software with the Softube Hardware. At least I got that impression from the videos I saw on YouTube on that subject, but I am not sure if this combination really will work for what I want to do: I am playing virtual instruments and I use Gig Performer as a host for them. I would like to use the Softube Console 1 Fader as a hardware mixer for my live projects which have normally like about 10 stereo channels/tracks.
So it is not relevant for me to which degree Sotube supports Cubase better than Logic etc. because I don't use those DAWs that often. (Although it would be great if Softube Integration with Logic will improve in the future.)
The thing that confuses me is the Apollo Central Mode from Softube when it comes to Softube Console 1 Fader:
It is not complicated to understand the concept when it comes to controlling certain plugins, but what if I have like ten stereo channels and I am using an Apollo Solo Thunderbolt.
I think this allows my only like 4 virtual channels or two stereo channels, but I need ten stereo channels!
If I understand that concept right there are two options:
In DAW Mode I can have as many inputs in for example Cubase as I want and there will be no problem to use the SC1F because it is deeply integrated in Cubase.

But as I said I am not using a DAW. So I think in this case the only option is to use the Mixer of the Apollo Console Software. The problem is that with this mixer I can not get enough stereo channels or am I overlooking something? I know theoretically in the Console Software the I/o Matrix can be changed, but I don't know if it can be changed the way I would need it to 10 digital Stereo Channel Inputs which are coming from Gig Performer.
Basically what I want is very simple. I have like 10 virtual instruments on 10 different channels and I want all those channels to appear within the Apollo Console Software Mixer so that I can controll them with the Faders of the SC1F. Is this possible? Just one more question: Supposed that it would possible: I am using an Silicon iMac with Big Sur. Is this platform already completely supported by Universal Audio and Softube? Last question: What Interface would you recommend? I don't want to spend to much money and so I think I don't need something like an Apollo X16. So I guess that an Apollo Solo would be enough for what I want, right?
Just as a sidenote I have been messing around with Gig Performer 4 since a month now and I think it is great...

I am considering buying a Softube Console 1 Fader (SC1F) and an Apollo Solo Thunderbolt because of the tight integration of the Apollo Console Software with the Softube Hardware. At least I got that impression from the videos I saw on YouTube on that subject, but I am not sure if this combination really will work for what I want to do: I am playing virtual instruments and I use Gig Performer as a host for them. I would like to use the Softube Console 1 Fader as a hardware mixer for my live projects which have normally like about 10 stereo channels/tracks.
So it is not relevant for me to which degree Sotube supports Cubase better than Logic etc. because I don't use those DAWs that often. (Although it would be great if Softube Integration with Logic will improve in the future.)
The thing that confuses me is the Apollo Central Mode from Softube when it comes to Softube Console 1 Fader:
It is not complicated to understand the concept when it comes to controlling certain plugins, but what if I have like ten stereo channels and I am using an Apollo Solo Thunderbolt.
I think this allows my only like 4 virtual channels or two stereo channels, but I need ten stereo channels!
If I understand that concept right there are two options:
In DAW Mode I can have as many inputs in for example Cubase as I want and there will be no problem to use the SC1F because it is deeply integrated in Cubase.

But as I said I am not using a DAW. So I think in this case the only option is to use the Mixer of the Apollo Console Software. The problem is that with this mixer I can not get enough stereo channels or am I overlooking something? I know theoretically in the Console Software the I/o Matrix can be changed, but I don't know if it can be changed the way I would need it to 10 digital Stereo Channel Inputs which are coming from Gig Performer.
Basically what I want is very simple. I have like 10 virtual instruments on 10 different channels and I want all those channels to appear within the Apollo Console Software Mixer so that I can controll them with the Faders of the SC1F. Is this possible? Just one more question: Supposed that it would possible: I am using an Silicon iMac with Big Sur. Is this platform already completely supported by Universal Audio and Softube? Last question: What Interface would you recommend? I don't want to spend to much money and so I think I don't need something like an Apollo X16. So I guess that an Apollo Solo would be enough for what I want, right?
Just as a sidenote I have been messing around with Gig Performer 4 since a month now and I think it is great...
Don’t think that what you want is possible without the help of a DAW. The Apollo Solo will only give you one stereo pair of virtual channels in Console (even the top tier Apollos max out at four stereo virtual pairs). I don’t k ow anything about Gig Performr or Softub console, so I could be wrong.... good luck.

you don't need a daw and you won't be able to use console because it won't have enough channels. just do the routing in gig performer using the global rackspace to handle a main mixer where everything is routed. you can then use any old midi fader device to control the levels by mapping the hardware faders to the virtual faders in the mixer. right from a cheapo korg nanokontrol upwards.

you'll need to check with the gigperformer chaps if it's compatible with silicon/monterey or whatever os they're shipping these machines with and also check with uad as well.

Are you using UA plugins during your live performance? If not, there's probably no need for an Apollo. And if you're not using the Apollo, there's no point to having the Softube Fader, which would only be useful for editing those UA plugins during your live performance. As Simeon says, the Softube Fader probably isn't your best choice for a mixer controller since you can't use UA Console as your mixer, and the Fader isn't well-suited to live performance anyway since it has no channel displays. If you want motorized faders, check out something like the Avid S1.

honestly i wouldn't spend that kind of money. certainly not at first. connect the laptop to the axe fx via usb (it's an audio interface, remember!) and buy a really cheap midi controller which has some knobs or faders on it. and then see if you can get it to work. if it does, you can then figure out how and why you want to upgrade. you don't need motorised faders.

Thank you, sometimes things look great in YouTube videos, but the reality is different. Today I tested the Softube Console Fader 1. I will sent it back.
It can be used also as a generic MIDI Controller, but at the end of a day for example a KorgNanoKontrol 2 is more flexible. It doesn't look so shiny, but it does the job. Well, and so I will stay with the NanoKontrol and in the next future there will be no need for an Apollo Interface if the number of virtual channels is so limited as you say. If maybe one day Softube introduces an official generic midi mode then this could be a nice controller, but among other things like the lack of support for Logic I found it very frustrating that you have only 3 assignable buttons (the transport buttons) which you can assign to keystrokes, but you loose this functionality when you use it as a generic controller. I know that there is almost for everything a solution. Theoretically one could use a MIDI Translator Software to translate the CC Data of the Transport Buttons into keystrokes, but as I said a NanoKontrol has much more buttons which can be assigned every way you want. So in other words it doesn't have to be the Porsche Cayenne, in this case the VW Golf can also bring you from A to B...;)
I have to say also that only here in this forum I got answers which really make sense. So thank you one more time for this. I asked my questions to the UAD Support and Softube and all I got was bla, bla, bla...:rolleyes:

Softube's design concept never worked out. Their goal was to have something that works with everything, but in the end, it doesn't work very well with anything. A midi controller will do the job for you, but of course the downside is the knobs/faders will be in the wrong positions when you load a session. If you still want motorized faders, you'll need a Eucon or HUI controller, but you can move up to that later.

he knobs/faders will be in the wrong positions when you load a session.
that's something that he can work up to if he wants to upgrade his controller later. i don't think that mackie/eucon/hui will work with gigperformer. all he needs is something like the midifighter twister (which i can heartily recommend) as long as gigperformer sends out midi feedback (i'm not sure if it does or not). edit: just tested and it does
until then, a simple manual "reset" once the session is loaded by sweeping all the faders, or simply setting everything to "jump" or "relative" rather than "grab" will do the trick

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Consider my questions to be solved because I don't want to bother you with this anymore.

In order to be fair with UAD I just want to add that after a long conversation a guy from UAD confirmed that what I wanted to do is not possible:
"What you're looking to do isn't really what Console is designed for.
Console is designed as the software control and "Front End" for your Apollo. It's not necessarily a mixing environment for multiple tracks. You cannot have that many virtual channels with one Apollo. The X series racks top out at 4 stereo sets of channels.
The main uses for Console are zero latency monitoring for live inputs, headphone cues, and controlling the Apollo.
The I/O matrix allows you to customize what analog or digital inputs make it into the DAW. You cannot just add tracks like in a DAW.
Please let me know if you have any questions."

Back
Top Bottom